SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man wounded in attempted carjacking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man wounded in attempted carjacking Login/Join 
posted
http://wgntv.com/2017/05/13/ma...ttempted-carjacking/

It is good to hear that people with a CCW permit are fighting back. However, I question this guy and his judgment to chase the guy who tried to steal his car. He apparently was trying to get the plate number and got shot in the process. What is the consensus here? I try to think out these scenarios in my head and have a plan as to how to proceed.

Posts: 17345 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I think the victim's first mistake was in brandishing his gun instead of shooting it. Granted this is some serious MMQBing but if you are approached as described in the article and decide to draw your gun, draw and fire. Don't draw and see if the other guy who already has a gun out wants to fire first.

As for chasing the SUV, I get what he was thinking but I think it was a mistake, wait for the police to show up and be a good witness. The chase could have ended much worse.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3863 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
^^^ Agree, just shoot.

So, he didn't get the plate number.

Posts: 4021 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
To the thief’s surprise, his 47 year-old victim was licensed to carry, and brandished his own gun.

If you NEED to pull it you NEED to shoot it.
Not shooting was the mistake.

Posts: 23002 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
^^^ Agree, just shoot.

So, he didn't get the plate number.

Well his strategy did actually work. The problem is a bad title. Instead of "man wounded in car jacking" it should read "Idiot gets away from carjacker, then gets shot while chasing him"

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20912 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
As for chasing the SUV, I get what he was thinking but I think it was a mistake, wait for the police to show up and be a good witness. The chase could have ended much worse.

Pretty much nailed it.
When it's time to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
(Or chase) but sometimes that's easier said than done.
He chases the car in the middle of downtown. Granted, it's 12:30 or so in the AM, but those streets are still packed with all of the bars and night life.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8382 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I'm kinda big on 'situational awareness'. I see the 12:40 A.M. time stamp. I don't know the rest of the details.

Not that S.A. can quell every threat. I can usually diffuse before it's time to fire. Yes, it may be different tomorrow.

Posts: 6219 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post