SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attending the Marine Corps ball this week. *post-ball pics added*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attending the Marine Corps ball this week. *post-ball pics added* Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
My daughter is attending her last Marine Corps ball this week and I've been invited to accompany her and her husband to the ball.

I can't really find a solid answer on this but I'm wondering if I can take my mounted medals off my old Dress Blue Alphas and wear them on my suit.

What about my old aircrew wings?

I'm just wearing slacks, a nice button down and a suit jacket. I'll look like I'm ushering at church or presenting at a corporate event.

My old blues seem to have shrunk over the last 18 years.

My daughter said they have mini medals at the PX and I'm wondering if I should just wear those instead.

Any advice?

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5498 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1215 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
As the Monkey pointed out, yes you can.

Having seen vets / retirees wear them in civies, I'll say the vast majority wear mini-medals and insignia - granted that's all that's allowed in the Navy but it looks tasteful IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think miniature medals and badges will look far nicer on a civilian suit than full-size.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
But googling the topic, I see plenty of photos of people wearing either - as long as they are in good shape and mounted properly, you should be good to go.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you earned them, wear them

Make it count

Posts: 1427 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll take my full size in case I can't find the miniatures or if I can't mount the minis in good fashion.

Tony.

Posts: 5498 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a few on line surplus stores that carry them. Also check out any military surplus stores by you.

https://www.usamilitarymedals....ary-medals/miniature

Have fun at the Ball, and Semper Fidelis, brother!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a pain to drive over to the east side (Clackamas area), but I bet USAMM in the link above has everything on hand for a miniature rack. Give them a call, they are squared away.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some years ago the Army retirement newsletter pointed out that wearing military medals on civilian attire was much more common in some countries than the U.S., but was fully in support of the practice, and recommended that we do it here. At the urging of the local sheriff who does it as well, sometimes I wear my ribbon rack on my duty uniform. Most people have no idea what they are, but I’ve gotten a few favorable comments from active duty and veterans (although one vet asked, “Are you allowed to do that?” Yes, I am.)

For formal occasions I wear a kilt and my miniatures on my jacket.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47644 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My daughter is attending her last Marine Corps ball this week and I've been invited to accompany her and her husband to the ball.

I can't really find a solid answer on this but I'm wondering if I can take my mounted medals off my old Dress Blue Alphas and wear them on my suit.

What about my old aircrew wings?

I'm just wearing slacks, a nice button down and a suit jacket. I'll look like I'm ushering at church or presenting at a corporate event.

My old blues seem to have shrunk over the last 18 years.

My daughter said they have mini medals at the PX and I'm wondering if I should just wear those instead.

Any advice?

Tony.

Miniature medals and wings.

Posts: 1725 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although it may be too late to order from them now, I have had excellent service from Medals of America.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47644 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
You guys are awesome! I'm on the phone with USAMM now and they'll have my order ready to pick up tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Tony.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I had a set of mini medals mounted for when my son received his commission. Wore them and my wings on the left breast.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some years ago the Army retirement newsletter pointed out that wearing military medals on civilian attire was much more common in some countries than the U.S.

Look at pics of old British and Russian military veterans and you'll see a lot of that on their various commemoration days.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Got my minis just in time. Party time tonight.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Holy mongo picture, Batman!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12390 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’m traveling and I can’t post a reduced size image using the mobile app.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Looks very distinguished, sir Smile

Posts: 4918 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! I love those minis. SWA Service ribbon...I went to the shithole in the 90s too!

I mean, not to disrespect the wonderful Kingdom of Saudi Arabia... Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post