SIGforum
How are you cooking your turkey?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5060064694

November 22, 2022, 07:10 PM
corsair
How are you cooking your turkey?
Just out of curiosity but, thought it might be an interesting survey to see how members are eating this coming holiday.Lots of different ways to cook a turkey, how are you cooking your bird this Thanksgiving?Roasted, traditionalRoasted, spatchcockSmokedFried, deepFried, air frierSlow Cooker/Instant PotGrilled
November 22, 2022, 07:17 PM
229DAK
None of the above. Been using Reynolds cooking bags for years.

November 22, 2022, 07:22 PM
P250UA5
Brined & baked
Was going to fry, but didn't want the oil expense. Maybe next year.

Neighbor is getting a brisket as no one really wanted turkey. She may be a genius.

The Enemy's gate is down.
November 22, 2022, 07:35 PM
oddball
None of the choices.

We are three for Thanksgiving, going to get smoked turkey, gravy, and brisket from our favorite local BBQ place tomorrow afternoon, we'll make the sides and reheat the meat on Thurs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
November 22, 2022, 07:43 PM
Beancooker
If I was cooking a turkey, it would be brined for a couple days and then slow smoked.

Instead it’s an aged ham (similar to prosciutto) pickled mushrooms, olives, fresh focaccia bread, risotto, and some creme brûlée for desert.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
November 22, 2022, 07:45 PM
ArtieS
Spatchcocked and smoked on my BGE. Will also separate light from dark meat, and remove each when done.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
November 22, 2022, 07:47 PM
SIGnified
Way too many folks headed over.

Option #2 on the bird; fast and easy. Also doing a very nice ham (not prosciutto nice Wink ).

I wasn’t gonna do anything… People are lucky to get some grub. There aren’t gonna be enough chairs.

I’m starting tomorrow w/ a heaping of eggs, bacon, biscuits and sausage gravy. Then side dishes for THU.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
November 22, 2022, 07:50 PM
TomV
On the Pellet Grill. This is from last year, 22 pounder so I had to split it to get the lid to close. This years is 16 pounds, a few less guests.

November 22, 2022, 07:53 PM
Outnumbered
24# bird, dry-brined, smeared and tucked with compound butter, spatchcock and smoked over pear wood on the 26” Weber kettle.
November 22, 2022, 07:56 PM
dubdubu
Smoked on the weber with the rotisserie.
November 22, 2022, 08:05 PM
Gustofer
Brined overnight, heavy pecan smoke for an hour or two (until it looks right), then finished in the oven.

Turns out perfect every year.

November 22, 2022, 08:29 PM
OKCGene
If you don't mind, none of the above.

Ribs, brisket and enchiladas.
November 22, 2022, 09:25 PM
Expert308
Just my brother and I this year, plus 3 dogs. He's got a 12lb turkey breast that he's going to do on his Traeger.
November 22, 2022, 09:49 PM
Voshterkoff
Traditional here. Best turkey I ever had was deep fried in bacon grease.
November 22, 2022, 09:56 PM
ruger357
Can’t stand turkey. Honey baked ham for the win. The only way my family can stomach turkey is Cajun fried.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
November 22, 2022, 10:03 PM
Muddflap
Spatchcocked it tonight. Little bit of kosher salt, and some of Meat Church Deeze Nuts Pecan rub. It will dry brine in the fridge for about 32 hours. Thursday about 9:30 it’ll come out of the fridge, and get injected with some Kelly Irish butter. Into the Yoder at 300 degrees, until the breast is 162 degrees. Then lunch.
November 22, 2022, 10:19 PM
tatortodd
Big Green Egg indirect at 325. Definitely oak lump charcoal and probably with some cherry chunks thrown in. If I'm out of cherry, I'll use pecan chunks.

Probably 10 years ago, I took LMS's advice and bumped up my smoke temperature for poultry to get the skin just right (325 skin is order of magnitude better than 225 skin). He suggested 275 to 325, and I tried 325 first and it was perfect so I've stuck with 325.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
November 23, 2022, 12:42 AM
drill sgt
Doing the traditional in the oven this year because the Command Sgt Major of the War department has spoken.... But I prefer deep fried or oven cooked that has been injected with the flavor seasoning juices..... ............... drill sgt.
November 23, 2022, 02:05 AM
IndianaMike
we are goingto the In-laws for dinner.
My Brother In-law is Brineing and cooking the bird on his BGE
November 23, 2022, 04:48 AM
trapper189
None of the above

My son’s school is having a fund raiser, I give them $45 and they give me a smoked turkey.