SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much more was your turkey this year.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much more was your turkey this year. Login/Join 
posted
WTF. I’m pretty sure I got hosed. Granted this turkey is huge and was walking around a couple of hours before I bought it so it’s fresh never frozen. Last year it was $58. I’ve never even heard of a turkey this expensive.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I bought a frozen Turkey 3 weeks ago, b/c my Wife said she heard there may be shortage.

Honeysuckle frozen bird at Kroger. On sale for $1.59 per pound.

a week later they had Kroger brand frozen birds for $.49 per lb. The Honeysuckle was on sale for $.99 per lb.

We were at Meijer in Milford, OH. over the weekend. No shortage of frozen birds from $.79 to $1.89 per lb.

WTF????

There is no shortage of Turkeys in Cincinnati, and they are cheap

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
My local favorite grocer has butterballs or honeysuckles, I can't recall which, for 98 cents a pound.

I'll eat turkey, but I'm not especially fond of it. My ideal Thanksgiving meal is Brisket, Ribs and Tamales, and that's true pretty much year around.

Posts: 11811 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Butterball. .87/lb

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23933 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anywhere from .33 cents a pound and up.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh, Turkey....

Damn, I knew I forgot something. Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
That’s the farm price where they kill and pluck 10 minutes before you get it.

My Butterball was $.99 a lb.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
WTF. I’m pretty sure I got hosed. Granted this turkey is huge and was walking around a couple of hours before I bought it so it’s fresh never frozen. Last year it was $58. I’ve never even heard of a turkey this expensive.

Waterloo Ill., it's been about 35 years since I was last there. No turkey for me this year, I am not a turkey fan - once every 5 years is enough turkey for me. This year it is Texas style thanksgiving complete with brisket and mashed potatoes. So my turkey cost is zero.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
That’s the farm price where they kill and pluck 10 minutes before you get it.

My Butterball was $.99 a lb.
Yes. For sure fresh turkeys have always been more than a butterball but not this much more. Holy smokes.

Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I bought a pasture raised turkey this year from a local farmer. I paid just a tad less than you did per pound. To me it's worth the price. You get a turkey that was raised and fed and executed properly. No solution injected so you can brine it or not as you please. Also you support the local farmer. I bought four pasture raised chickens from him as well. We roasted one a few weeks back and it was delicious.

Too much of our food supply chain is now owned by China. I have gone almost exclusively to purchasing meat from online independent retailers who raise and process their animals in the U.S. or local farmers. Yes I pay considerably more but I've never been one to go cheap on the food I eat.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don’t know and I’m not going to ask. My wife bought a pre-cooked turkey from Publix and I’m sure it was more than I think it is worth. It still has to be heated for two hours, but does eliminate a lot of messy prep work in the RV. I thought we were having a shrimp boil, but that’s tomorrow I’ve been informed.

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Mine was $14

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just paid $2.99/lb for 8.5 pounds of turkey breast only.

Only Mrs. Flash and me here, so we can't eat a whole bird before it goes bad.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much what we're paying around here for a fresh turkey.
Everything has gone up a lot.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16486 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have no recollection of what I paid last year.

Just paid $1.68/lb for a nearly 9 pound bone-in turkey breast. I didn't buy the turkey until Sunday evening and there were tons of turkeys.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Butterball was .99 lb at Costco.
No big deal or budget crusher.
Looking at the Prime Ribeyes - now that's a shocker... Frown

Posts: 22853 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
$42 the same size bird last year $16

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
Foster Farms bird at Costco was 99 cents a pound, got a 18 pounder to go on the BBQ.

Posts: 1341 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I bought a pasture raised turkey this year from a local farmer. I paid just a tad less than you did per pound. To me it's worth the price. You get a turkey that was raised and fed and executed properly. No solution injected so you can brine it or not as you please. Also you support the local farmer. I bought four pasture raised chickens from him as well. We roasted one a few weeks back and it was delicious.

Too much of our food supply chain is now owned by China. I have gone almost exclusively to purchasing meat from online independent retailers who raise and process their animals in the U.S. or local farmers. Yes I pay considerably more but I've never been one to go cheap on the food I eat.
All excellent reasons and exactly why I have always done it. Was just a little surprised at such a price hike. Sounds like it’s pretty much in line with others who buy fresh.

Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Mine was also fresh $2.29 per lb, so my 19+ turkey was almost $60. It’s not just the turkey though, it’s the ingredients to the side dishes that were expensive too. This administration and the entire left own the inflation we’re experiencing. They lack the basic understanding of economics and are too stupid to connect the dots.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post