SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How much more was your turkey this year.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much more was your turkey this year. Login/Join 
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
No turkey for us, not a fan of turkey other than once in a while. Prime rib today. It went up some too, got a nearly 6 lb for $89. Looking forward to that though.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Safeway had a deal going this year, spend $300 in Oct. and early Nov., and your turkey is free. Regular price was $.99/lb, up from $0.49/lb. last year IIRC.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Our 16lb turkey this year was free after purchasing a Hormel spiral cut ham that was marked $32.99 but according to the reciept was charged $14.96. .... For me the best thing about the turkey is to boil down the carcus and make a big pot of turkey soup.. Prefer smoked or a bird that has had the needle of flavor injection. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Frozen Butterball from Costco for 99 cents lb.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I bought an 18 pound turkey from a local farmer this year. It was $65.00. He allows me to hunt his land, so I attribute this to keeping up a good relationship.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't buy a turkey, as I only like the dark meat, and I live alone. I did purchase 4 racks of baby back pork ribs, that are on the smoker as we speak. I about gaged when I saw the price,(almost double what they were last year), but I wanted them and only do it one time a year. I will process them tomorrow(after I have some for supper) into vacuum sealed bags, and into the freezer for 2022.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We don't usually do turkey here. Venison roast, cost the price of a .30-06 shell, and a few hours of processing.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Opted to forgo the whole turkey bit in favor of a 3 lb white & dark meat Butterball boneless turkey breast @ $8.77 (works out to $2.92/lb).

Commissary did have frozen whole young turkeys for $0.48/lb (Homeysuckle, Shady Brook, and Valchris Farms brands).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: Commissary did have frozen whole young turkeys for $0.48/lb (Homeysuckle, Shady Brook, and Valchris Farms brands).

Homeysuckle ... " Sounds kinda racist, sir. Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1: Commissary did have frozen whole young turkeys for $0.48/lb (Homeysuckle, Shady Brook, and Valchris Farms brands).

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Obvious typo... should have been Honeysuckle. LoLoLoLoL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid 89 cents a month ago and yesterday the butterballs went on sale for 49 cents. I got 3 in the freezer.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
fresh was $1.98 a pound , Frozen was $.49 a pound. Cooked the fresh today and Stashed the Frozen for a later date on the Weber kettle

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Meijer brand frozen turkey $.39 lb

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Obvious typo... should have been Honeysuckle. LoLoLoLoL

Be afraid of me sir, I am a wordsmith ...

... and frankly, though I do not know you really well, I feel comfortable giving you a bad time.

A special love to both you and yours on this Thanksgiving !

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Be afraid of me sir, I am a wordsmith ...

... and frankly, though I do not know you really well, I feel comfortable giving you a bad time.

A special love to both you and yours on this Thanksgiving !

No fears! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha All good fun!

Backatcha! (not in the dictionary either) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
$.49/lb, same as last year at both Publix and Kroger.

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The story of three turkeys for Thanksgiving
1. Got a coupon deal at Vons/Safeway, $.57 a pound for frozen bird. Wife put it in fridge 3 days before Thanksgiving.
1. Wife got a Butterball at Costco, cooked it. Not great, but enough for our family with the daughter, son-in-law, their two little ones, and the younger son.
3. Son-in-law asks through daughter if it’s OK if he invites a co-worker. We say yes, but don’t hear back if new guest has accepted.
I go back to Vons, because now the turkey we were going to re-heat is not enough, and the frozen-on -the-way-to-being thawed is nowhere near thawed.
We read about thawing in cold water—changing water every 30 minutes for XX hours. Screw that.
So I’m in Vons, now we need a fresh turkey. Found a little one, 17 lbs. at 2.99 a pound, so $54. For our third turkey.
This pm we find out co-worker is not coming.

Ah well, we are so grateful we have a wonderful son—in-law we smile, leave an empty chair for the guest who didn’t come to dinner, and I cook the turkey up just perfect.

Worth every penny to have a happy Thanksgiving dinner with our son (who almost died a little over a year ago), our daughter who is a wonderful mom to her two little girls, our son-in-law who has blessed our family, and of course the granddaughters, 3 2/3 and 15 months.

It’s a very special time, and won’t last long. We’re very grateful.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
$.77/lb. for Honeysuckle White at Marc’s.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
1s1k,
How’d it taste?

I paid ~1.89/lb with the frozen turkey day turkey a few weeks ago (butterball) and thought I was getting robbed, then paid .66/lb yesterday when I stopped in to pick a few small things yesterday (jennio).
I get half shares of pork every year from a local farm, but don’t know anyone who grows turkeys. I’ll have to look into that.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Do people actually remember what they paid for something a year earlier? Why? (I don't remember what I paid the last time I shopped.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post