SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Last Night's Sunset over Denali
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last Night's Sunset over Denali Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Coming home from a bourbon tasting last night, got a quick view of Denali as we exited the highway. Told the girlfriend, "WE HAVE to stop by the house, grab my camera and head up to the Baldy Trailhead!" The Old Man did not disappoint.

Those who haven't been to Alaska probably don't understand how rare it is to have a clear view of Denali. Even on a clear day, the mountain can make it's own weather and stay hidden. Some panoramics that I cropped down from last night. Photos were taken from the Baldy Trailhead in Eagle River about 300 miles away from the mountain.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's beautiful. I would like to visit Alask some day.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Is the mountain in your pic above actually 300 miles distant ? That is really incredible, you lose all sense of scale.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Is the mountain in your pic above actually 300 miles distant ? That is really incredible, you lose all sense of scale.

Yes, the peak on the far right is Denali. It ranges from 1,000-3,000' base elevation to 20,310' in elevation. Peaks from right to left are Denali, Hunter 13,945' and Foraker 17,400'. Athabaskan legend holds Denali as the father, Foraker as the mother and Hunter as the son.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to the trailhead but unfortunately Denali was hidden as it usually is. I still want to go back.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6323 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Those elevations are pretty mind boggling! At what point does the average person need extra oxygen?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I took a trip up to Fairbanks about 10 years ago to watch the aurora. One day we drove down as far as Denali and it turned out to be clear day.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I visited Alaska about 5 years ago, and I was one of the 90% that saw Denali shrouded in clouds. Many years ago, I flew from Seattle to Japan, a route that took us over Alaska, and got to see Denali from the air at around sunset. It was stunning.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, The Tall One.

If you've never been, you don't realize how large and massive Denali is, until you get there. Then it takes on another dimension when you get close to it, then try to climb it. It really does dwarf the entire skyline, thank you for the great pics 2000Z-71, cloudless pics are rare, I miss that place.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I got lucky enough to see it on a summit flight with clear weather!!!

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I liked the first of your three photos best. Such a lovely sky!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
Very nice 2000Z-71!

Posts: 274 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing...I love the bourbon filter.....lol

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. We visited friends there several years ago and camped with them in Denali and it was hidden in the clouds every day except the very last day I could see it from the airport in Anchorage, some 135 miles away as the crow flies!

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post