SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Retirement official now
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retirement official now Login/Join 
SF Jake
posted
As of 7/6 it’s official…..after 34 years as a medic, 28 1/2 years fire service with rank of Captain as shift commander and 15 years of regional SWAT team medic, I have made it out alive! Pension checks start next month.
Bittersweet to do it but it’s time. Im not getting any younger especially in this job environment….but at age 57 it’s all good. One of my guys on shift bought a gun store last year and now, he, is my part time boss a couple days a week while I figure out what’s next.
I can feel the stress lessen slowly away….but honestly, am scared at the same time and feel a loss of identity to a degree….I guess there is a natural adjustment period?
My SWAT guys gave me a plaque and got me drunk…..I’ll really miss working with them!!

Posts: 3120 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Glad you made it out. Enjoy the rest of your life.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Best wishes on future endeavors.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best wishes for a long, happy, and healthy retirement!

Posts: 2466 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the front porch! Pull up a rocking chair and enjoy watching the grass grow.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! You are going to love it.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Saturday.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1366 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Enjoy retirement Capt!

Posts: 3597 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for your service Sir. Don't forget to leave your "out of office forever" message.

Posts: 256 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your well deserved 24x7 leisure time! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16229 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ch23701
posted Hide Post
Congrats…you’ll love it and yes there is an adjustment period for sure.

Posts: 258 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: September 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the well earned retirement!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your retirement, and on a life lived in service to others. You will soon wonder how you ever found time to go to work.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

I can feel the stress lessen slowly away….but honestly, am scared at the same time and feel a loss of identity to a degree….I guess there is a natural adjustment period?

Congratulations!

Yes there is an adjustment period. The loss of identity is common. But you have a new identity, which is retired Medic, fire Captain, etc. For me, one of the initial feelings was of not being on the inside anymore. While I still knew a lot of people I'd worked with, I wasn't allowed into the inner sanctum any more. Another hurdle is watching others continue to advance. There can be a lot of "I could do that" when you see someone else accomplishing in your old career.

But retirement is fantastic! Just relax and enjoy the time.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and best wishes on your next big adventure.

You can find a new identity based on you.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13403 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on retiring. It will be a change, but now your time belongs to you. Learn to relax and enjoy.

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to be scared of . You'll get used to it after the first week . Enjoy .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Judge Judy or Matlock is always on somewhere!
Congrats on starting the rest of your life.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Enjoy your days of freedom and deciding what YOU want to do!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post