SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Subie owners please step inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subie owners please step inside. Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I am looking after my DIL’s car while my son is downrange for most of the year.

She has a 2016 Subaru Legacy.

In going over the car yesterday I noticed that the “cradle” where the spin on oil filter is located looks like it has oil around it…

Can anyone confirm if this is normal? There doesn’t appear to be any leaking or dripping from this area.
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Never seen that on wife's Outback. Maybe give it a 1/4 turn?

Edit: That looks like quite a bit after seeing the pic. Maybe bad ring on the filter... Is the filter tight enough?

Posts: 11363 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
That’s what I was thinking.
Sorry for the large picture.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Probably just not cleaned up after an oil change. Not spilling over so not likely a constant leak. Can’t hurt to spin it off and check it’s gasket is in place and not a double gasket. But most likely just leftover from last replacement.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Never had that happen on my 2018 Outback. Probably loose (from last oil change) or bad gasket (or put on dry?) on the filter.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Brake clean and some paper towels until clean.
I’m with the not cleaned after last change crowd.

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Tighten filter (don't overtighten), clean all the oil from the area. Test drive and see if oil reappears.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If it isn't actively leaking - it will be obvious when the engine is running - it probably wasn't cleaned up after the last service.

Posts: 27986 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My Tacoma is like that, just residual oil in my case.

Take some paper towels snd soak it up. Check in a week.

One downside, on the Tacoma the alternator is directly below. After 175K miles, the alternator failed and was crudded up with old oil. Top spinning filter is convenient but does have a downside.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Probably just not cleaned up after an oil change. Not spilling over so not likely a constant leak. Can’t hurt to spin it off and check it’s gasket is in place and not a double gasket. But most likely just leftover from last replacement.

I am with fray, spin it off, clean it and reapply.

Be very careful with the machined surface that the oil filter gasket mates to.

Hats off to you for using a suby oil filter.

Make it count

Posts: 1415 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It will be difficult to clean up now. The time to clean up was before the new filter went on. I don't know that I'd mess with it at this point.

Posts: 27986 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
It will be difficult to clean up now. The time to clean up was before the new filter went on. I don't know that I'd mess with it at this point.

Difficult, not impossible with popsicle sticks and paper towels. Whilst the engine is cool. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I think oil from the last change would have vibrated out and all over by now.

I use an oil extractor and suck as much out of the cup as possible and then wipe clean with towels.

the top filter is one of the reasons I got the 4 instead of the 6. Combined with the extractor, oil change is all from the top.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
How many miles from/to next oil change?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Someone did not take the time to clean the oil that spills out of the filter when it was changed.

Posts: 17902 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I agree that you might wipe it out as well as possible without removing the filter, and check the well for additional leakage after a couple of days of use.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

My first thought. If it were a true leak, the first you would know about it is oil on the driveway. The lip performed it’s function perfectly. No spillage running down the motor and getting cooked crap on it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My daughter's Impreza looks the same. It's because I didn't wait for the filter to fully drain before draining it. I cleaned it up with a paper towel.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Brake clean and some paper towels until clean.
I’m with the not cleaned after last change crowd.

Me too. If I didn't clean up the oil that pooled there during the oil change, I suspect I would see the same.

I'd be inclined to clean it up now, let it run or drive it a few days and check it. If it's due for an oil change, might as well change it.

And that reminds me ...

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

So I tried to tighten the filter and it is on very tight. I decided to not take it off for the time being. I did take a paper towel and soak up all the residual oil and will monitor it to see if any additional oil accumulates in the recess.

She is due an oil and filter change in about 1500 miles so we’ll see what happens then. Just an FYI she has been taking the car to the dealer for servicing so I may go instead next time and talk to the tech.. I also noticed the antifreeze level was low and topped it off with Subie antifreeze.

Thanks everyone.

------------------
Eddie