SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Subie owners please step inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subie owners please step inside. Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
There is no harm in removing it, cleaning up the oil and topping it off.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
If you decide to take it off to clean, let the filter drain a bit after you break the seal. Unless you’d like a bigger mess. Don’t ask how I know…

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I find on these cars that there is less residual oil to clean up in the filter well if you drain the oil from the pan first, then lower it back down and remove the filter. Being directly on top of the engine, one's natural tendency is to do the opposite. This is discounting the splash when you remove the drain plug. The opening is large and 0W20 oil is thin, so it comes out like a fire hose.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27989 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I'm with the crowd on residual after an oil change. I'd remove the filter, clean it up and put the filter back and observe. We've been a 2 subie household since 2004

Posts: 4024 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just did the spring oil change on the Impreza recently. I drain oil first then loosen filter and let it drain. Much less mess to clean up. I’m actually using Subie brand japanese filters (the black ones). I have a few left before I switch to the blue ones. Can’t seem to get them in cheap anymore. Used liqui moly 0w20. Just got my refund from fcp euro after shipping the used oil back. Net cost : $8 for the filter.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
A spin on filter, threads down, will dump the contents in that cup every time you spin it off. Break the seal and out it comes. There is likely a internal valve to keep it from going dry every time the engine stops but changing the filter causes it.

Check the oil. If low, add. Check a few days later. Not low, not a problem. Not a problem, don't fix what isn't broken.

As for choice of filter, dealer oil change dealer filter, but overall, you get what you pay for, and most have a high pressure relief anyway. They do not by design filter 100% of the engine oil every few minutes - there is a lot of bypass. The filter will not catch the debris from a #2 bearing being ground up and it will go thru the motor. Overhead cam engines run them in machined cam ways directly in the head which will be destroyed.

My '99 Forester lost two motors that way. 2.5's from that era were prone to doing it, no longer. Choice of filter isn't the cause, but I was not using Fram, either.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Subaru was kind enough to provide a drain plug access opening in the splash/aerodynamic shield that otherwise covers the entire front underside of the car.

Posts: 27989 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Clean the residue, run the engine. If the issue persists, replace the filter…

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
My recommendation as a four Subaru family since 2000 would be as follows. First procure a fresh Subaru filter for her application. Unscrew existing filter a half turn or so and let it bleed its oil back into the engine. Remove and toss current filter after a sufficient pause. Use some of that residual oil to lube the gasket on the fresh filter. Clean the heck out of the area around the fitting. Ensure no residual gasket material remains around the fitting. Screw on the new filter until it touches the base, then do another 1/2-3/4 turn by hand only. Run car for a minute or two then shut off. Allow oil to drain back into sump. Check oil and adjust as necessary. Drive car down to your favorite takeout joint and return home. After you eat, go out and check area around filter to see if issue recurred. Filter cost $5-10 bucks. Take out meal maybe $12-15. Twenty bucks and you've solved two issues - determined whether there continues to be an issue with seepage, and you've fed yourself as a reward for being a good dad.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post