SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New technology to detect concealed weapons
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New technology to detect concealed weapons Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Ain't gonna happen.

And you are the VERY REASON I love this forum.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I had to google “prison purse.”

Well, shit.
I'm not sure what it is, but I have suspicions; I don't really need to know.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Locked me in that pod a light and siren started. Looked at the tellers all were just sort of frozen I was signaling for them to open the exterior door so I could leave and they refused.
After a minute or so or politely asking for them to unlock the exterior door I was still locked in the pod.
At this point I am pretty pissed as I am trying to exit and being held against my will.
I then began to give some pretty solid kicks to the crash bar. After about 5 kicks they exterior door was unlocked.

My next stop would have been the local police station to see if I could file a criminal complaint.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
metal foil is your friend.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Locked me in that pod a light and siren started. Looked at the tellers all were just sort of frozen I was signaling for them to open the exterior door so I could leave and they refused.
After a minute or so or politely asking for them to unlock the exterior door I was still locked in the pod.
At this point I am pretty pissed as I am trying to exit and being held against my will.
I then began to give some pretty solid kicks to the crash bar. After about 5 kicks they exterior door was unlocked.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I take it this was the bank's plan for deterring robberies. Your chances of being killed or shot in a bank robbery are much less than other venues, ie convenience stores etc. Most tellers are instructed to simply give up the money. This sort of seems like a very expensive solution to a problem.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some 5/3 Banks have some sort of technology maybe just metal detector I don’t know.
You enter the exterior door into a little pod before actually entering the bank. It senses something it locks both doors (technically unlawful in my view if you have not robbed the bank or done anything else illegal).
I walked right on in carrying a G27 with no issues and did my banking. On the way out was a different story.
I called 5/3 corporate and explained the situation they said it was a test location. I said it failed as I was able to enter the bank with zero issue. Yet it locked me in the pod preventing me from leaving. In my situation I had done nothing illegal nor been suspected to f doing anything illegal but by hindering me from leaving the store employees were in fact committing the crime of f unlawful imprisonment.
It is one thing to lock the door to gain entry to the bank lobby or to lock someone in the pod after they have in fact robbed the bank or done some other sort of illegal activity.
But preventing a law abiding citizen from being able to leave is a big time problem.

I no longer bank with 5/3.

My credit union has the same thing in the branch closest to me. I always get locked in when I enter since I'm carrying and they always buzz me straight through. IDK why they even installed the stupid thing.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I have a Glock 7 so I'm GTG.

That only works on metal detectors. You need the new Gen 5 7X MOS to defeat Hexwave Tech

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My credit union has the same thing in the branch closest to me. I always get locked in when I enter since I'm carrying and they always buzz me straight through. IDK why they even installed the stupid thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have never seen one of these things. I know they do not have armed security in banks because they are afraid customers might be shot. I have seen this kind of security at gas stations in the Hood. Money would be better spent having a well lighted parking lot to use the ATM.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have never seen one of these things. I know they do not have armed security in banks because they are afraid customers might be shot. I have seen this kind of security at gas stations in the Hood. Money would be better spent having a well lighted parking lot to use the ATM.

FWIW, several years ago I was an armed guard at a bank. We got replaced by one of those boxes.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW, several years ago I was an armed guard at a bank. We got replaced by one of those boxes.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I prefer the human. On a side note The Bank Dick is one of my favorite movies. WC Fields of course.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Once again life imitates art.
More like, art predicts life.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
As far as the original post, I say good. The better they can screen folks entering a no gun zone the better.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some 5/3 Banks have some sort of technology maybe just metal detector I don’t know.
You enter the exterior door into a little pod before actually entering the bank. It senses something it locks both doors (technically unlawful in my view if you have not robbed the bank or done anything else illegal).
I walked right on in carrying a G27 with no issues and did my banking. On the way out was a different story.
I called 5/3 corporate and explained the situation they said it was a test location. I said it failed as I was able to enter the bank with zero issue. Yet it locked me in the pod preventing me from leaving. In my situation I had done nothing illegal nor been suspected to f doing anything illegal but by hindering me from leaving the store employees were in fact committing the crime of f unlawful imprisonment.
It is one thing to lock the door to gain entry to the bank lobby or to lock someone in the pod after they have in fact robbed the bank or done some other sort of illegal activity.
But preventing a law abiding citizen from being able to leave is a big time problem.

I no longer bank with 5/3.

A) Should this happen to anyone else, please call the police immediately.

B) Please call a lawyer and get them to file a suit for unlawful imprisonment.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
As far as the original post, I say good. The better they can screen folks entering a no gun zone the better.

A bank is a CEZ? I did not know that.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Maybe in his state. I don't think it's a universal rule.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

It is not a universal rule. Sadly, from a quick read in Montana banks are prohibited zones for firearm carry (or at least were a year or three ago when I looked), but in Commiefornia (of all places) carrying in banks is no problem.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

It is not a universal rule. Sadly, from a quick read in Montana banks are prohibited zones for firearm carry ...

So: Target rich environment and a demand the targets be rendered defenceless? Nice.

(Crosses Montana off bucket list...)

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
metal foil is your friend. For extra credit carry some RF absorptive material, or jam the shit out of it with your own transmitter.

Any possibility future holster designers could rise to the challenge?

Posts: 15032 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post