SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about residential water well depths.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about residential water well depths. Login/Join 
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted
When I bought my place the older woman who sold it had no info on the well. I have since spoken with the well drilling company and was told that it was drilled 280' deep and has 60' of casing. The office gal that I spoke to could not answer my question so, I turn here.

Question:

Why would the well be drilled so deep and have only 60' of casing?

It does not make sense to me but, I know nothing of the subject.

Thanks for any input!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only needs casing down to the point at which they hit rock. Casing is in the soil layer, rest of well has no casing is in bedrock.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Dusty said.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
thanks guys

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Working for a municipal utility water department I oversaw the drilling of 3 wells 12" wide and all over 1'000 feet deep. When the wells are drilled, there is a test that shows on a graph where the best water supply is in that aquifer. From known data of existing well you pretty much know how far down you will have to drill. So if you have to go to 300', you will likely have 20' at the bottom where there is no screening (called the basement) and screening up from the bottom to the confining section of the aquifer.
In that 300' you may have passed through another aquifer where the water is not at the volume you need or is contaminated.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Go look at the well, nowadays the driller puts a tag that shows depth, casing, output...if it’s missing then maybe you can put a new one on it for the next guy.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Usually there is a well log filed with the state as most states will require a permit to drill a domestic water well. The well log will have many details about the construction and specs on what the well will produce.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19194 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post