SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking to identify eggs in nest (Update)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking to identify eggs in nest (Update) Login/Join 
Picture of whododat
posted
The local bird union decided to build a nest in our flower pot. Looking for assistance in identifying the eggs or bird they came from.

nest by Jorge Jimenez, on Flickr

baby birds by Jorge Jimenez, on Flickr

Looks like one will not hatch, other two growing fast.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: whododat,

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Can't really determine the size of the eggs by the leaves because I don't know what the plant is. However, it looks to me like a Carolina Wren nest and eggs!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The photo has nothing to give size perspective, but the upper egg might be a cowbird (light blue with speckles) and the lower egg might be a robin (light blue, no speckles).

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Nest is about 3 inches across and the eggs are probably 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. The wife did not want to fool with it too much, only to take a pic.

Here is Mama.

bird by Jorge Jimenez, on Flickr

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Does not look like a Carolina Wren. Looks to me to be some sort of sparrow (or seed eater with that thick beak).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Or maybe a finch or grosbeak.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Here in the Pacific Northwest we have a little bird called a Junco (they are all over North America) ... they make little nests close the ground and have the same color and size of eggs.

Just went to the front porch where I have an old Junco nest. The nest I have is also about 3 inches across, is lined on the inside with hair (from cutting my own hair and leaving it outside for the Juncos to use) and looks like the nest you have.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
House Finch

We are infested with them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Profile looks like the house sparrow that's pooping on all my car mirrors.

I couldn't figure it out, until I watched him for about forty minutes the other day. It's spring and he's fighting off all the competition. And that includes all the little birds that he thinks live in my side view mirrors and the bottom of all my windshields. He fights like crazy for a bit, then takes a break, catches his breath and gets back at it. So all my mirrors are covered in poop.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Picture I posted last year in a different thread.
Small eggs finch , Large Cowbird.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Interesting that the finch and cowbird laid eggs in the same nest. Wonder what happens when all the eggs hatch and who feeds who.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The cowbird is a brood parasite. The finch family will raise the cowbird chick. Not very nice -- sorta like avian welfare.

Read more about it here.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Interesting that the finch and cowbird laid eggs in the same nest. Wonder what happens when all the eggs hatch and who feeds who.

As mentioned, cowbirds have evolved to let other birds do their chick rearing. They lay their egg and split. When it hatches, the chick discards other eggs/chicks from the nest and the unwitting parent species raises the cowbird chick as its own. When there are multiple eggs, the cowbird egg stands out because they are always laid singly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
Very educational thread. Thanks.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
The cowbird is a brood parasite. The finch family will raise the cowbird chick. Not very nice -- sorta like avian welfare.

Read more about it here.

I had no idea, thanks for teaching me something new today. It is interesting in ways the animal kingdom mimic our own human existence ... or maybe the other way around.

Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Update with pic.