SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    hearing aids.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hearing aids. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Well, the prices of these damn things have gone up. I'm my own worse enemy because I did some research. At the advice of a member read The Little Book Of Hearing Aids. I went looking for local shops that offered Real Ear Measurements. None in Pueblo. Had to go to Denver. Turns out that advice is going to cost me 5.4K. That's the entry level technology. Turns out I have moderate bordering on sever hear lost in the higher frequencies.

Okay, I'm pissed that I have to spend that much, but holy shit the demo aids were absolutely unbelievable. I had no idea how much I wasn't hearing. I have never spent this much on something I haven't lived in or drove, but I'm really looking forward to getting this started.

If I can will myself to spend this much on myself perhaps that Breitling Super Ocean just might be my retirement gift to myself. Just saying.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor: go to Costco before you spend that five and a half large.

You'll likely be able to get the same quality hearing aids for less than one-third of that cost.

In the highly unlikely event that I'm not correct, the Costco trial will cost you nothing.

If you're not already a Costco member, you can join for sixty bucks and they will cancel and refund that at any time without giving you a hard time about it.

Costco will give you the appropriate tests at no charge and will program a set of aids (actually more than one set if you want to compare brands) based on the tests, for you to try in the store. After the purchase, you have a reasonable amount of time (I forget how much time, but I know for sure that it's at least 30 days and probably double or triple that) to return for exchange to different type, or refund.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying Costco, and probably close to four large, to gain. That's a substantial chunk of the Breitling, ore couple of Colt Pythons and a bunch of ammunition.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30705 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I went the Costco route. Full-on audiologist exam and measurements. Ultimately got fitted with a Rexton behind the ear model and couldn't be happier with them. $1500 out the door.

I can't imagine that something costing 3+ times more than that could be that much better to warrant that cost.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We just got new HA at Costco. Went with the $1599 Philips rechargeables to replace our 5 year old Resound ones that used the little button batteries.

Surprised at how much better these ones are and price has gone down from the $1800 ones we had originally. They even have a “Hi-Fi” program that makes music sound fantastic whether live, speakers, or streaming directly into the HA from your phone.

Definitely check them out. My issue is high frequency as well as very imbalanced L/R due to working near military aircraft and shooting.

Free test, free adjustments, cleanings, can return them within 6 months if you aren’t happy and free replacement if you lose them (for 2 years).

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10946 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Costco

Posts: 26929 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the VA if you were in the military. I received the latest tech from the VA for free.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4277 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I believe my hearing is fine...It's just that the Tinnitus prevents me from hearing SO much! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8927 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Check the VA if you were in the military. I received the latest tech from the VA for free.

I get a new set every 2.5 years from them.

Posts: 7021 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
WHAT?!?!?! HUH?!?!?! SPEAK UP Whippersnapper!!!

Well, someone had to say it. Big Grin

And its not that my hearing is failing, I actually ignore 90% of the people I encounter each day.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Definitely Costco, I've had mine for 4 years. Prices have come down, my Phillips were $2500 and today they're $1600.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

You'll likely be able to get the same quality hearing aids for less than one-third of that cost.

In the highly unlikely event that I'm not correct, the Costco trial will cost you nothing.

If you're not already a Costco member, you can join for sixty bucks and they will cancel and refund that at any time without giving you a hard time about it.

Costco will give you the appropriate tests at no charge and will program a set of aids (actually more than one set if you want to compare brands) based on the tests, for you to try in the store. After the purchase, you have a reasonable amount of time (I forget how much time, but I know for sure that it's at least 30 days and probably double or triple that) to return for exchange to different type, or refund.

You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying Costco, and probably close to four large, to gain. That's a substantial chunk of the Breitling, ore couple of Colt Pythons and a bunch of ammunition.

What he said....

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Costco

Posts: 5340 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you're going with entry-level hearing aids I'd agree with V-Tail on this one.

The main reason I did not use Costco is I had a particular top-drawer hearing aid brand and model line I wanted, not available at Costco. Mine cost me over $5k after the deep discount afforded by my Medigap insurer.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will cheerfully second and third this post! I have been using Costco hearing aids for several years. Previously, using aids that cost more than 10K and they wanted even more to replace ones that somehow stopped working. Was on the way home from there and saw a sign for Costco. Convinced the better half to stop there and see if they sold hearing aids. Turns out they did. Went thru the testing and ordered a set that sold for $3,000. Miracle Ear wanted $14K for the new ones. Been using Costco aids since then, and their support is fabulous! Had service a couple times at no charge, as well. Periodically, I drop by and they clean and adjust the aids at no charge.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Costco. Saved about $5,000 from what all the small shops wanted. As far as I can tell they are equal in features, quality, etc.
as they high price stuff.
What I needed was an increase in volume and making voice less garbled in a natural way. The basic Kirkland did the trick.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
As I read this, I have the same Phillips HA, just got them to replace an old set. (The old ones didn’t even have Bluetooth capability)
Sound quality is light years better and now I can talk on my phone AND hear what is said back!
5k is INSANE when there’s a $1599 option.

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
We just got new HA at Costco. Went with the $1599 Philips rechargeables to replace our 5 year old Resound ones that used the little button batteries.

Surprised at how much better these ones are and price has gone down from the $1800 ones we had originally. They even have a “Hi-Fi” program that makes music sound fantastic whether live, speakers, or streaming directly into the HA from your phone.

Definitely check them out. My issue is high frequency as well as very imbalanced L/R due to working near military aircraft and shooting.

Free test, free adjustments, cleanings, can return them within 6 months if you aren’t happy and free replacement if you lose them (for 2 years).

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
What is somewhat concerning is that people don't "hear" the previous 500 threads on hearing aids. The forum has long recommended Costco.

My parents experience at Costco has been exemplary. Cleaning, new batteries, upgrades, help with the new adjustment schema, and the new connect-to-your-phone models...transformative for Grand-Dave. I can now call him.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

me too, with phonak hearing aids.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
I walked out of the VA with my new hearing aids six months ago and said "Birds still chirp?"

Phonak here as well. Superb for hands free phone calls, streaming music and of course, hearing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Timely thread. My appointment at Costco is scheduled for Saturday.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post