SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    hearing aids.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hearing aids. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Took possession yesterday. Beginning prescription is only about 65 percent of what it's going to be once my brain gets used to it. I know it's expensive but for this first time, my wife insisted that I get the very best care, and I'm sure that's what I'm getting. As explained to me it's going to be a process of a few months to get everything dialed in.

I'm impressed with this outfit. I've done brain tests. Tone tests. Speech recognition testing, and testing of all those things in a noisy environment. The Real Ear Measurement has yet to be done.

First impression. Fuck does every single floor in my house creak? Meal time is interesting because it sounds like I'm dining on two flat rocks and a packet of gravel. My first restaurant test is coming up shortly.

Only have three basic settings, and I'm not hooked up to my phone yet. So far so good.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I remember when I first got my hearing aids about ten years ago.
They initially had them set way too sensitive. I could hear dogs barking from about half a mile away, and the noise paper makes was amazingly loud. Water noise was unbelievably loud, too.

Once I went back in a few days and had them adjusted they were great.
The first few weeks they itched a little, but after that, I don't even realize they're in.

It's nice to be able to understand my little grandkids higher pitched voices, and it's great having them paired to my cellphone.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The restaurant test went as expected. I got everything. But, I still could hear those at my table. After these extended periods of lots of sounds, I'm noticing a kind of fatigue. Like after a loud concert type of feel.

I'm told its going to take months before this all gets sorted out.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
Timely thread. My appointment at Costco is scheduled for Saturday.

My Costco dropped the price 1 day before my follow up appt.
Cha-ching! Instant $100 credit!
Go back and check…you can get the same credit.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:

My Costco dropped the price
The Costco (Kirkland) hearing aids that I have had for at least five years stopped working this past Tuesday -- right side went totally dead. I stopped at the local Costco, where Hearing Aid Lady found a broken wire and repaired it at no cost. While I was there, I did notice the $100 price drop in each of the three brands that the local store carries.

Which brand did you choose? Tell me the good and the bad, if you don't mind; I'm thinking about a newer set.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30697 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Which brand did you choose? Tell me the good and the bad, if you don't mind; I'm thinking about a newer set.

I got their Rexton brand (over the ear). I honestly can't say there's any bad, other than just having to get used to having them positioned where they are and being careful putting on/taking off glasses. Mine were programmed with six different scenarios, but I only use the one "automatic" setting for everything and adjust the volume and bass/treble if I need to. Volume can be changed in each ear independently. Directionality can be changed as well, but I don't even mess with that.

I'm happy with them.

Posts: 20118 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Check the VA if you were in the military. I received the latest tech from the VA for free.

I get a new set every 2.5 years from them.

I'm on my second set from the VA. Both have been Resound aids. Really enjoy my TV steamer so I can hear the TV great.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Just had new audiogram done at Costco. This will be my third pair. Apparently Jabra is one of the new hearing aids they offer but it may be made by resound (same as my current pair).

An important note, Costco doesn’t accept insurance. I’m going to try and submit the receipt to my insurance company and see what I might be able to do for some type of reimbursement. But even if they won’t, Costco HA are a great value

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
In my second visit to the Costco Hearing Center, they were able to finish the test and I ordered the Jabra Enhance Pro 10 heading aids. I have profound loss at high frequencies and have trouble differentiating between some sounds. These probably won’t correct all of that but should be a big improvement. At the end when it was time to finalize the order, she quoted the price and then found it had dropped $100 in recent days as someone noted above. Now, I wait for two weeks for delivery.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
My Costco dropped the price

I didn’t really choose the brand, the guy fitting me did. I got the Philips set. The app makes adjustments easy, (program, volume, etc.). I have 4 programs to choose from but haven’t even messed with 2 of them.
Found out last night I can hear cicadas again…I really could have done without that upgrade for another 4 months. Wink

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post