SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do You Pay to Spy on You
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do You Pay to Spy on You Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
I abhor the idea of having electronic gadgets constantly spying on me and reporting to Big Data in the sky. But, alas, it is ultimately futile.

While I may avoid Alexa, Echo, Roomba and Nest, I invite into my home the snoopy cell phone, cable box, wifi router, and Lord forgive me, cloud based security cameras on exterior doors.

So what are you paying to spy on you?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
None.

Q

Posts: 26489 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Google spies on you for free.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
None. I don’t use google or any of their products.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3979 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I stopped using Google's browser (Brave currently but would love to hear about other options), I don't bring any spies into the home, do have two smart phones in the house. I use Amazon for a lot of shopping, but I don't have an Alexa device (why does anyone want one anyway, I can't figure out even beyond the privacy issues...). We use OTA for TV, plus netflix. No NEST thermostats, cameras on the house are hard wired - I can access the NVR remotely - but the cameras do not cover the interior. Overall, I don't feel I'm easily giving any of my data away. Since switching from Chrome to Brave, and using DuckDuckGo as my search engine, I've not seen any ads that clearly were pulled from my browsing history. Pretty refreshing after the past few years in fact... Certainly open to more suggestions as to how to limit my exposure, though I admit I invest in companies that use people's data to advertise to them - not my fault they're not paying attention.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Google, netflix, amazon, PS4 network, nest, lorex, chevy, and I pay taxes, so the .gov, but they are probably doing it less than the others.

Dey got all my shit.

Posts: 5156 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have just the android. I use Google. I cannot stand MSN for all their anti gun and anti Trump stuff. Google does follow me around. Gmail rarely gets used. My outlook box is a garbage can. It never used to be like that. The most annoying thing I put up with every day, multiple times, is having my resume registered with several online job sites. Constant, I found your resume online and you are a perfect fit. Usually a temp service. Drive 70 plus miles round trip for a job I aint qualified for. Drive the same distance so I can register with billy bobs temp service. Time will come when all email accounts get deleted, all online job board accounts, the whole shebang. Hope I didnt stray to far off the path here.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Just about every big business has realized the value of collecting and selling your information. Your car collects data, the dealers download it and sell it to insurance companies and others. Your Internet provider tracks everywhere you go whether you use Chrome or not. Plate readers and electronic tolls track your travels. Those are just a few examples.

There is NO privacy any longer.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16536 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I work for the NSA. I know a shit ton more about them than they know about me. Wink

Uh, that's a joke, NSA....

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
My nephew was in the navy with a pretty high ranking, He didnt know my email address and wanted to send me something so he contacted one of his buddies and suddenly he had all three , I asked him how he got them he said he had sources. lol

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I never use google or any of those other devices. If someone is spying on me I guess I don't know about it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
My biggest fear about going to the doctor is that he sits there and enters all kinds of information about me on some type of computer tablet thing that I have no control over.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10939 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
None and If you're spying on me- Get a life ain't shit happening here.

quote:
There is NO privacy any longer.

We're being indoctrinated to Not expect privacy contrary to our Rights.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13409 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
My biggest fear about going to the doctor is that he sits there and enters all kinds of information about me on some type of computer tablet thing that I have no control over.

That’s a real fear. Data goes to other doctors, CVS, VA, employer, and who the fuck knows where else.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Siri on my iPhone is apparently on all the time to allow for voice prompts (and whatever other insidious reasons are in play)...Verizon knows who I call, who calls me, and what sites I visit via data...I use the grocery patron cards at several chains to get discounts on my groceries, so my purchases are being tracked...I use the GPS app on my phone periodically, but have no idea if it's in fact active all the time...my Ring doorbell tracks who comes and goes into and from my house and saves it to their cloud server...Comcast knows what sites I visit and, presumably, what streaming I do through Roku/wi-fi...Netflix knows what shows I watch on their service via the Roku...I think that's it, though there may be others that aren't leaping to mind. I use to worry about this issue more than I do now...after a while, the barrage wears you down and you either accept it and enjoy the ammenties of modern life, or undertake the almost-fruitless challenge to avoid it. I chose the former.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thermostats
Wifi plugs
Home alarm system
ISP - TV and internet
Browsers
iPhone and iPad
All healthcare points of care, services and goods
Roomba
Wireless outdoor cameras
Ring doorbell
Garage door controls/monitors
Cloud based backup service
USPS
Verizon

Probably more, but that's enough to send someone from the 50's screaming into a closet. We just roll with it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12442 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
None.

No cell phone? No internet connection at your house?

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
"Ignorance is bliss" so I don't give it any thought. We don't have 'smart' phones and we don't have anything/know anyone named "Alexa". ONSTAR performed so poorly under AT&T that we cancelled it.

The concern is overblown in my opinion. Someone would be very bored eavesdropping in any manner in our household. Businesses watching what I search for on the internet won't find anything beneficial for their use.

Unauthorized snooping is a fact of life. Everyone has a camera phone recording images and conversations. If you use a credit card or a discount grocery card, you're divulging your purchase history. Does that bother me? No.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Mr. PD....you complained of knee pain in 2018. This is clearly a pre-existing condition!"

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
"Mr. PD....you complained of knee pain in 2018. This is clearly a pre-existing condition!"

That’s why I don’t say shit until the pain is insurmountable

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post