SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Question. (Want to punch Bill Gates in the face!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Question. (Want to punch Bill Gates in the face!) Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your data will be in Docs, Pics, etc
Stay there and you will be fine.

Can't find those folders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

C:\users\{ insert your username }\ HERE

Pics and Docs are not the exact name Eek

Could be:
Documents
Desktop
Pictures
Videos

* un check to > See hidden or system files if checked and you will see the pertinent info.

Note: if attaching another drive from another or previous system the intial drive letter may be changed.

YMMV

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:

C:\users\{ insert your username }\ HERE

Pics and Docs are not the exact name Eek

Could be:
Documents
Desktop
Pictures
Videos

* un check to > See hidden or system files if checked and you will see the pertinent info.

Note: if attaching another drive from another or previous system the intial drive letter may be changed.

YMMV

I searched with full words, not abbrevs.
Not having any luck.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe a screen shot of what you are experiencing?

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I might have figured it out. Found this:

"You can gain access to this folder by following these steps to take ownership and then grant yourself full access to the folder.

Right-click the folder > Properties
Security tab > Advanced
Click Change to the right of Owner
Enter Users into box and click OK
Enable the checkbox Replace owner on subcontainers and objects then click Apply
If prompted that You do not have permissions to read... click Yes
Completely close out of the Advanced Security Settings dialog
Right-click the folder > Properties
Security tab > Edit...
Add...
Enter Users into box and click OK
Enable the Full Control checkbox then click OK"

Appears to be working:

-Bomber Harris

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
"You can gain access to this folder by following these steps to take ownership and then grant yourself full access to the folder.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.
Good you got it going.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Yeah, that's what I was saying.
Good you got it going.

Thanks for your help.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
First time didn't work. Attempting again today. Just don't want to pay to recover the files, I'm cheap.

-Bomber Harris

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The ownership process is complete, I got a message to close Properties & reopen for it to take effect. Did so, still getting error message & can't access. ARGH! Mad

-Bomber Harris

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Haven´t read the whole thread but I usually proceed in a simple manner using (free) Total Commander. It´s a file manager that shows you two windows (origin and destination) that are very easy to handle.

Maybe you can do a remote session with me or someone else available and sort things out. Shouldn´t take more than an hour. I´d say much less, depending on how much stuff you need to move around and the speed of your drives.

My email is in my profile. Done this plenty of times with other distinguished members Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Lots of good information here. Thanks!

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
0-0

Thanks for the offer. I was able to restore access.

-Bomber Harris