SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Question. (Want to punch Bill Gates in the face!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Question. (Want to punch Bill Gates in the face!) Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
I have a Win10 computer coming to replace my ancient Win7. I have one of those things you put an internal HDD into to use as an external. Can I put the old HDD in it to pull everything off it to put on the new computer?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kz1000,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can except for most of the apps. For those you'll need the installation media that came with them. After you install the disk in the caddy and plug it in, it will look like another drive in your windows explorer. Copy away at that point.

Posts: 7670 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, i just did the same by buying a usb hard drive enclosure to transfer pics & docs.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies!

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you must reinstall any apps as mentioned above.
You could also install internally all you need is another SATA data cable and connect the power.
It would be faster than any USB.
If it accidently boots to your old drive just go into the BIOS and tell it to boot to your W10 drive.

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Adding to what smschultz just said, I´ll add this:

You might want to keep the old drive as a backup before moving anything to another location.
I suggest you COPY your stuff to the new drive. Do not erase any contents for a while until satisfied.

It´s good to keep the old drive as is as a reference.
Checking (both) Program Files folders to see what were the original programs installed.

The Users/your user name folder contains a few important folders that you can copy to your new hard drive in the same location and save time. These are Documents, Favorites, downloads, Desktop). These are not program setups but will get you up and running quicker.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12264 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
The new computer reads the drive but I can't access my files. HELP!

-Bomber Harris

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Don't panic! I'm guessing that's probably because your user I.D. on the new computer does not match your user I.D. on the old computer or suchlike.

I'm sure somebody who's more current than I on MS-Win will be along shortly to help you work it out. I never was much of an MS-Win Wizzard, now I'm even less so Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Define "can't access" ~ ie: what exactly is happening?

Posts: 23192 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Define "can't access" ~ ie: what exactly is happening?

When I click on Users & then the username, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

-Bomber Harris

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I click on Users & then the username, I get "You don't currently have permission to access this folder".

Since nobody else has chimed in again yet...

I can't tell you how to fix your problem, but I can tell you with greater certainty what it is. When a user is created under MS-Windows the system assigns them a unique Security IDentifier (SID). This consists of a merged unique host identifier and unique user identifier.

Your username, what you see, is only a human friendly reference to that SID.

When you created an account on the new machine you got a new SID. The SID associated with all the files and directories belonging to you on the old machine is not the same. Thus, on the new machine, you don't have permission to access them.

Under Unix and Linux we are able to work around that problem by specifying a new user's UID when we create their account. In this way MS-Windows is actually more secure than Unix/Linux, but also something of a bigger PITA.

I'm sure there's a solution. I just don't know what it is. Sorry. (I have some ideas, but they may not be optimal. So I'll let somebody better-versed in the Ways Of MS-Windows lead you.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
With your old drive plugged into your new computer you can change the owner of the files on your old hard drive.

Open My Computer

You should see a list of hard drives. C: D:. D: is likely the old drive you plugged into your new computer.

Right Click on D (or the letter of your old hard drive) and select properties.

Select Security Tab

Select Edit

This shows the groups or names allowed access.

Select Add

Select Advanced

Select Find Now

Select your current user name from the list. This is the name you log into your computer

Select Allow Full Control in the next box.

Click OK. The computer should take some time to change the permissions. Once complete your should have access to your old files.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Try logging in on your new computer as Administrator. I've plugged in several external drives into my, at the time, new W10 computer. I even plugged in the internal hard drives I removed from my old XP machine. I mounted them in an external hard drive enclosure and they read perfectly. But not to worry, you've not lost your data and surely one of the work-arounds mentioned will get you access.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, but you must reinstall any apps as mentioned above.
You could also install internally all you need is another SATA data cable and connect the power.
It would be faster than any USB.
If it accidently boots to your old drive just go into the BIOS and tell it to boot to your W10 drive.
^^^This. Have done just this a number of times and its far faster than screwing around with a USB external drive.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
No access

What folder on what drive are you getting this?
Just a little bit more info is needed.
This can be solved.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
No access

What folder on what drive are you getting this?
Just a little bit more info is needed.
This can be solved.

I can access every folder except:
my user let's call it "kz1000"
and Perflog.

-Bomber Harris

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Is your user account also part of the Administrators Group?

Is the "user" you cannot access on the "other" drive?

If so W10 as an admin should let you take control.
Initially you can't but it should 'fix' it and give you access if you are an admin.

Even so you can take control by:
* right click on the folder
* Security tab
* Advanced
* Add your account
* Give full permissions

Note: You may have to CHANGE the owner to your account or system to allow it to change.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is your user account also part of the Administrators Group?

Is the "user" you cannot access on the "other" drive?

If so W10 as an admin should let you take control.
Initially you can't but it should 'fix' it and give you access if you are an admin.

Even so you can take control by:
* right click on the folder
* Security tab
* Advanced
* Add your account
* Give full permissions

Note: You may have to CHANGE the owner to your account or system to allow it to change.

I tried that. Got this message:

-Bomber Harris

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You are trying to access a shortcut to it will and should fail.

FWIW there really no data in that folder.

Your data will be in Docs, Pics, etc
Stay there and you will be fine.

If you need some config files don't go the the Default folder but go to your actual user folder.
And not any shortcuts.

You will get the same error when clicking on Documents and Settings shortcut.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Strange. Try another method of the same.

Right click on the folder, not a shortcut to the folder, and select "Give Access To" and then select your username.

See if you get the same error.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post