SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drive by shooting....literally !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drive by shooting....literally ! Login/Join 
posted
I'm beyond pissed right now.

My Daughter calls me at work and tells me her drivers side window suddenly shattered as she was about to make a left turn onto a 2 lane hwy. She makes the left, and immediately pulls off to the right shoulder. As she gets out of the Explorer, (she's still talking to me) she say's "Dad, my side glass in the rear is also shattered".
Right away, I know this isn't no accident and I tell her to stay in the truck as I'll have a cop there in minutes. (She's in a good town and it's 2:30 in the afternoon and cars are all over the place) I hang up with her and get the cops to respond as I leave work (25 miles away). A few minutes later, she calls back and say's there's a cop there with her.

I get to the scene and yup, looks like someone got off 2 good shots with either a BB gun, or an airsoft gun. Cop was pissed that this happened, and naturally, so was I. He had other units respond to the most likely source of the shots....an apartment complex across the street. Naturally, no one heard or saw anything. We checked the truck and both of us agree (cop and myself) that the projectile most likely didn't penetrate the vehicle but rather busted the glass and bounced off. I took a ride by the complex later and I saw one unit with a really good view with a window that is ajar. It's on the 2nd story so it's hard to see if there's glass behind it. I'll be going there again tomorrow to get a better look.

My daughter got very lucky. She could have easily been injured.

Drivers side window

Rear window

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's all bad. Glad to hear she is alright. My guess, some very stupid kids that need to get bitch-slapped over and over.

Posts: 225 | Location: WA | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to imagine an air soft gun doing that unless it's up close

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
WOW! I can't begin to imagine what was going on in your head on what had to be very, very long drive.
I'm glad she was not hurt!!

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm glad your daughter was relatively unharmed.

I heard a loud pop one time and I started feeling myself to see if I was bleeding or the windshield was broken. This was during a spate of random freeway shootings here.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19637 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Damn! I hope the cops go to the apartment looking for wayward yoots and find the little bastard. That had to be a pellet at that distance.

Glad she is O.K.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
That had to be an air powered pellet rifle due to the time to fire multiple shots.

Here is damage to a storm window done by a Crosman pump BB air rifle from about 20+ feet.

She was lucky she didn't get cut from glass fragments. The open window does look suspicious.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Agreed. Up close as in contact. I'm thinking pellet rifle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Minimum a good pellet gun, quite possibly 22LR, definitely not airsoft.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No expert but my guess is that wasn't a pellet. What did the cop say?

Yes, glad she was not seriously injured or worse.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
Agreed. Up close as in contact. I'm thinking pellet rifle.

I concur.

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This happened to me a few years ago. I heard what I thought was a piece of gravel dislodging from a tire and hitting the wheel well. I got home and saw this:

Cop said it was probably a .22 and I agreed. No way to catch the guy of course. Pissed off doesn't come close how I felt about it.

Thank God your daughter wasn't hurt.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be very careful "investigating" this. I understand your concern but don't get yourself in a bad situation.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
My wife's old car got hit by what I can only guess was a .22LR when we were driving through rural north FL years ago. LOUD bang! Just like Jimbo54, we thought it was gravel hitting the door, as it wasn't the best road.

Got home, and just below the passenger-side window was a .22LR-sized ding. The bastards are lucky it wasn't about 1/2" higher.

We didn't see anybody, and given the area, I would like to imagine it was some irresponsible kids plinking rather than an aimed shot.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely was no airsoft of BB gun. A powerful pellet gun is what you should be looking for.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I'm glad she's ok. Tempered glass will shatter if hit right, and a BB or pellet will definitely do that.

A few years ago, I was "retaliated" against (they thought I called the cops on them, but it was a different neighbor) and they took a pot shot at my car with a 10-pump (but only a couple of pumps). They didn't think it'd break the glass, but when it did one of them panicked and came clean. Police were able to arrest the trigger guy on a probation violation (that's another story!).

TLBig GrinR Yes, a BB will break glass, been there done that!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. Here's what I know. Both glass were shattered mere milliseconds apart, almost like a double tap from a singular firearm or, 2 hits from 2 shooters with a similar set up firing nearly at the same time.

While I do own a pellet rifle, it's a single shot style one. Do they now offer "Semi auto" pellet rifles now ?

The distance from the "suspected" Apartments is 150 feet, or longer.

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striperkid:
Thanks for the opinions and thoughts. Here's what I know. Both glass were shattered mere milliseconds apart, almost like a double tap from a singular firearm or, 2 hits from 2 shooters with a similar set up firing nearly at the same time.

While I do own a pellet rifle, it's a single shot style one. Do they now offer "Semi auto" pellet rifles now ?

The distance from the "suspected" Apartments is 150 feet, or longer.

Glad your daughter is ok.

They do make semi-auto pellet rifles. I was at my brothers and my nephews had a CO2 powered rifle their grandfather had lent them. I think you would have to be close for it to break glass.

Two shot close together and both break glass unless the shooter was close makes me think it was something other then a pellet riffle. Maybe a .22. Although I will admit I'm not up on the current pellet rifle lineup but two quick shoots makes me think it would have to be CO2 powered and I don't think any of them are that powerful. Distant is the key here I think.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16389 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
There are multi-shot air powered pellet rifles like this one as an example:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/...auder_Air_Rifle/1774

At 1100 FPS is equal to a 22 LR short at least. There have been people killed with a pellet rifle.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:

Two shot close together and both break glass unless the shooter was close makes me think it was something other then a pellet riffle. Maybe a .22. Although I will admit I'm not up on the current pellet rifle lineup but two quick shoots makes me think it would have to be CO2 powered and I don't think any of them are that powerful. Distant is the key here I think.

You would be shocked at the power some of these scuba tank powered pellet rifles have. And the calibers are available up to and beyond .50! They have been used to take BIG game too. But they're spendy so one wonders about some jackwads using them on car windows. Still....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post