SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In Moab now! Bronco Off-Rodeo was AWESOME starting to post pics...*couple videos added*
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In Moab now! Bronco Off-Rodeo was AWESOME starting to post pics...*couple videos added* Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
We pulled into Moab Friday afternoon after spending a few hours in Bryce Canyon NP and via Hwy 12. Excellent call 1KPerDay, fantastic road and now I am really missing my motorcycle. Ever since we left I-15 I have been saying "Damn this would be great on a bike!"

Yesterday was the Rodeo itself. Did some INSANE things from my perspective as someone who has never off-roaded before. Definite learning experience and confidence builder. Real first class operation they are running from start to finish.

They give you a Bronco logo Yeti Rambler mug on check in, talk about the history of the Bronco, do a little Off-Road 101 then head out on to the trails for about 5 hours of practical training and application. They provided sandwich fixings for lunch on the trail then a dinner at the end. To their credit they did not try to sell you anything, but did have a plethora of Ford and other companies Bronco Branded products (Yeti, etc.) hats, shirts, etc. Managed to get out without spending too much on goodies, just the obligatory ball cap (for me) and paid their photo guy $50 to send me some pics taken during the course of my driving. Will post those up once I get them.

SO glad we did that the first day. Today we headed out to Dead Horse Point (another good call 1KPerDay and Holdem), then headed down through "Pucker Pass" (would never have attempted to go through that if not for the Rodeo the day before) to Potash Rd. It wasn't listed in the Guide, but it was the most direct way to get from Dead Horse down to Potash Rd.

Info on Pucker Pass here: https://www.dangerousroads.org...ed-road-in-utah.html

From Potash Rd, into Canyon Lands NP, the Shafer Switchbacks, up to Island in the Sky and Grand View Rd viewpoint (good calls by IntrpidTraveler and Konata88)

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
...Canyonland views were amazing - the views make you feel small and insignificant. Hard to explain.

We had the same feeling today. To many stops to count just to take it all in. Lots of photos, some stops were just to look and appreciate.

quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
You're right, off-roading is a bit of a "just one more piece of gear" activity. In fact, "Jeep" stand for "Just Empty Every Pocket". I'm sure that "Bronco" has a similar meaning. But then, you are already into shooting and photography, so you should be used to that. Razz

Don't let the Schaeffer Road scare you. Just put the Bronco in 4WD Lo and 1st or 2nd gear and let it creep itself down.

We went "Up" the switchbacks, Bronco (especially after the rodeo) is VERY confidence inspiring. The one I drove in the Rodeo was better equipped for off-road (Big Bend with Sasquatch pkg) 35" tire, better shocks and a little lift. My Outer Banks only has 32" tires, but the higher tech pkg. The 360 camera system is nice for parking but it really shines offroad! You can see where your front tires are going to go, front camera give you a "grill eye" view at all times in 4L, a the mirror cameras let you see your front tire sidewalls so you know you are where you want to be. VERY nice for a neophyte like me.

Bronco also has "One Pedal Trail Assist", basically off-roading cruise control. 4L or 4H and you set you speed (1-20mph) and it accelerates and brakes with no pedal input at all, you only have to steer and it just steadily creeps along.

Tomorrow we are headed for "Hurrah Pass" and "Chicken Corners". Looks like a lot of it will be low and on the other side of the river from where we were today up above it. A little more challenging I think, but still esy/moderate so shouldn't be any worries.

Friday night we had dinner at Moab Diner, great food, fast service, and reasonable price.

Powers77/Mikus36 - We had dinner tonight at Milt's, another good call. I had the Chili Burger, onion rings, and a root-beer shake. My buddy went with the Elk burger. We were both quite pleased with the grub.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Bryce Canyon

Headed for Moab

Colorado River headed to the rodeo

Rodeo shots

Pucker Pass

Potash Rd

Shafer Switchbacks

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country.
Awesome pix. Thanks for posting.
But I can see why they say Pucker Pass…

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Beautiful country.
Awesome pix. Thanks for posting.
But I can see why they say Pucker Pass…

My pic doesn’t even do it justice. I have dash cam video, won’t be able to post it up until I get home though.

posted Hide Post
Wow, beautiful country. Sounds like a great time.

Hope that you’ll have the chance to post more pictures!

Silent

Posts: 1025 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics, man! That looks like a great time. Smile

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great trip. You are right about doing parts of that via a MC. Makes for an awesome trip.
I absolutely love that part of the country. Can't wait to get much closer to there in retirement once family obligations allow.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last four people that I spoke with, really like and enjoy their Ford Bronco's .

All four admit that they will never leave the street/ highway intentionally.

Three of them said it was their third vehicle "fun" truck.

Good to read about your fun time.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The last four people that I spoke with, really like and enjoy their Ford Bronco's .

All four admit that they will never leave the street/ highway intentionally.

Three of them said it was their third vehicle "fun" truck.

Good to read about your fun time.

I hve a friend who has a Bronco for specifically offroad and overlanding but he is afraid to. He was warned that certain replacement parts (ones that commonly break or are damaged offroading) are on a 13 month waiting list.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very nice, glad you're enjoying Utah.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow, very nice pics! I love seeing the vehicles getting used out in the wild.

I love the soft top. Dumb question: what are the orange handle looking things on the hood? Are they tie down anchors?

I need to get out there again. With all the thrash going on, it's a great feeling looking out at the vast, majestic landscape and realize, to paraphrase Casablanca, "it doesn't take much to see that the problems of ... people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world"

Maybe because we didn't expect much but we enjoyed dinners at The Blu Pig.

Sounds like an awesome trip you're having!

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Pretty dang cool

Posts: 13236 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Looks like a hoot! Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun, IIRC both the big Bronco & the baby Sport get this pkg?

We were car shopping recently & ended up with an Expedition Max. I was thinking about a Yukon XL, but don't see the need for 2 giant SUVs, so I've been thinking back along this line.
Need to find a Badlands Bronco Sport to look at to see if it'll be too small for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15278 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Glad you had a good time. Come back on your motorcycle.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Schaffers is the start of the White Rim Trail. If you ever have an opportunity to go back (and can get the obligatory permit) you should do it. Some of the best camping we’ve ever done.

Here’s a picture of Airport Tower in our Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (sorry, couldn’t help myself !)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:

I love the soft top. Dumb question: what are the orange handle looking things on the hood? Are they tie down anchors?

They are called trail sights. They are placed there, so the driver can easily see where the front corners of the vehicle are pointing when maneuvering tight trails. They can also be used as extra tie down points. Also they can be used as limb savers by connecting a wire from them to the roof to push tree limbs or branches upward and over the roof to prevent low lying branches from scratching up the side of the vehicle on wooded paths.

Great pics boss!

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Learned something new. I wonder if they have aftermarket trail sights for my truck.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

I hve a friend who has a Bronco for specifically offroad and overlanding but he is afraid to. He was warned that certain replacement parts (ones that commonly break or are damaged offroading) are on a 13 month waiting list.

There is a lot of chatter about broken tie rods, and yes parts availability is limited at this point. I was concerned as well, but the issue is being exaggerated. Only really occurring with folks going to 37” tires, 3-4” of lift, etc. and adding a lot more stress without doing anything to the stock rods.

After market is already responding with braces for stock or complete replacements that are beefier for the added stress of aftermarket components.

quote:

I need to get out there again. With all the thrash going on, it's a great feeling looking out at the vast, majestic landscape and realize, to paraphrase Casablanca, "it doesn't take much to see that the problems of ... people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world"

Maybe because we didn't expect much but we enjoyed dinners at The Blu Pig.

Sounds like an awesome trip you're having!

Absolute blast. Out on the trail today (Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corner) I was amazed at how absolute quiet it was. Luckily even in pretty easy went for almost two hours without seeing another soul. We ate at the Blu Pig tonight, it is basically in the parking lot of the hotel we are at.

Swamp dog was correct about the trial sights. I learned at the rodeo they also are inline with inside side wall of front tires so you have an idea where they are at.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Looks like a hoot! Smile

It is. Already decided I will be back once everything in my life settles down some, I get some upgrades in place and can spend 2-3 weeks instead of 3 days.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks like fun, IIRC both the big Bronco & the baby Sport get this pkg?

We were car shopping recently & ended up with an Expedition Max. I was thinking about a Yukon XL, but don't see the need for 2 giant SUVs, so I've been thinking back along this line.
Need to find a Badlands Bronco Sport to look at to see if it'll be too small for me.

My understanding is Bronco Sport is built on Escape frame, but having an Escape, I can tell it is bigger.

Yes, they do a Sport rodeo as well, but the Sport obviously doesn’t have the same capabilities. So it is done on milder terrain.

They had about 15 or so Broncos and 6-8 Sports that I saw at the facility lot. A group of Sport folks finished up shortly after we did so guessing they started behind us.

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Great pics! Glad you had a good time. Come back on your motorcycle.

Alas, my motorcycling days are over. Probably for the best, conservatively estimating I have close to 500K miles on motorcycles over the years. Had my share of mishaps, but luckily never had serious injury, even when I should have.

I sold the bike (Kawasaki Concours 14) for medical reasons (foot and knee issues made it difficult to control when stopped). My wife literally cried with happiness when I did. I never had any idea how much worry and fear she dealt with when I headed out on my rides and she was so relieved I decided to sell it she actually broke down when the new owner drove away on it.

She never once asked me to sell it, never said anything when one bike was traded for the next, never told me how much it bothered her. She knew how much I enjoyed the long distance trips and wasn’t going to ask me to stop.

No way would I put her through that again. Bike was more fun to ride, but first the Mustang and now the Bronco are definitely more comfortable. Plus she can come with me in the Bronco, she couldn’t ride on the bike due to her own medical issues. I miss it, but the memories are enough.

quote:
Originally posted by swampdog:

They are called trail sights...

Yup…

quote:
Great pics boss!

Thanks, more in my next post

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Some shots from today, Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corner