SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wooden spoon survivor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wooden spoon survivor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Youse guys are all rookie amateurs! Not only did I get the switches at home (and leather belt for serious crimes!), I still hold the record at my former school. I received at least one paddling every year for twelve years in that school. (It was a small school, with 12 grades on location.)

The equipment they used ranged from rulers to wooden paddles to leather straps. (One guy did have a ping-pong paddle, but he got no respect for his efforts.) We didn't keep statistics back in those days, but I would estimate that I received around 150 or so disciplinary meetings. I never resented it or felt "picked on". I kinda preferred that to lectures because it sorta cleared the air and all was good until the next episode.

I didn't end up a delinquent - I graduated with both scholastic honors and athletic awards. I wasn't a bad kid, but was energetic and mischievous. I owe a lot to my mom and dad for caring enough about me and my future to discipline me in the only way they knew. I always felt loved and appreciated growing up.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Leather belt here too.

Posts: 7623 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Switches or wooden spoons but the leather belt was there if needed...Also if at grandparents same applied but with the knowledge of the "razor strap" was available if warranted but it never was applied. ... Back in the early 60"s my mom said something that I never forgot even to this day .."Just remember that I (mom) brought you into this world and I(mom) can take you out of this world"....................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2058 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mother used a shoe. If you were out of reach, she would sling it at high velocity at you. About an 85% hit ratio. Pretty good!
My Father:
"I will beat a knot on your head bigger than a turkey egg"! And he occasionally did!
Related story:
My old man would buy parts from a local lawn care equipment store for his mower. The old man would get into a fierce argument with the shop owner over the prices on every visit. But since this was the only local shop, he would always get his parts and argue. Once, after a heated exchange, we got back into the car and the old man leaned over to me and said, "if I ever hear you bought anything from this son of a bitch, I will beat the shit out of you"!
Ok, Dad! The business is still in operation but I have yet to buy anything from them.
Thats how you influence childrens behavior!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16273 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Our elementary/middle school principal in Hoover, AL had a paddle in this design but made of clear plexiglass or fiberglass.

I knew I was in trouble when she transferred to the high school the same year I did! I spent quite a bit of time with her in primary school.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12553 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mom used her hairbrush. Once she broke it on my butt. After that she turned corporal punishment duty over to my dad, who used his belt. Not too surprisingly, my conduct improved shortly after he took over.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I like this shirt better. Weapon of Ass Destruction

shirt

Posts: 3721 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feared hard sole moccasins. Pretty sure Dad thought they didn't hurt as much so he didn't hold back when he swung like he did with paddles and such. Damn they stung.

Posts: 708 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:

shirt

I like the shirt but I wouldn't wear it in public.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure remember my aunt having my cousin dancing across the floor with a fly swatter across the back of his calves/legs. I thing some of those old flyswatters were really thin flexible metal too.

Posts: 432 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:

shirt

I understand, but that is where I first saw it was at a gunshow and someone was wearing it.

Posts: 3721 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Mom used her hairbrush. Once she broke it on my butt. After that she turned corporal punishment duty over to my dad, who used his belt. Not too surprisingly, my conduct improved shortly after he took over.

Mom broke a hairbrush on me once, too. She'd also wash my mouth out with soap for backtalk. The prize, though, was a nice, smooth flat stick she found on the beach on vacation in the islands. About one inch wide and tapering to the sides from about 1/4 inch thick in the middle. It was a masterpiece of a find, and quite useful.

Dad's preference was for a piece of kindling or occasionally, leather belt. I got my share of all of the above, but never too harsh, and almost always deserved. I have no problem with corporal punishment, and I think it got better results than a lot of substitutes that have been tried as it faded in frequency of use through the years.

Posts: 2703 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
quote:

shirt

I understand, but that is where I first saw it was at a gunshow and someone was wearing it.

OK good, I can cuss with the best but never in front of women and children.
Words like bitchin and ass etc. are in TV, ads etc. Our vice president dropped the F-bomb.
Just another sign of the moral decline of this country. And I'm not a bible thumper.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Never a wooden spoon as my dad was spanked with a wooden hair brush and hated that. We did occasionally get the belt if you really screwed up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38121 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28334 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z3bN-pI5oMg?si=7fkRrTb8A3MZwUtt&start=275" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

OK that was weird. I like Cheech and Chong. Are you Dave?

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Belts. Dad had a couple. The brown one slapped with authority while the black one was so light we had to have our acting game on point and pretend it had the desired effect. I’m pretty sure he knew when we were faking Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15735 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
It was never my Mom. Dad used his belt when he was irritated. But, if I really pissed him off, it was a broom handle he kept behind the kitchen door.

Posts: 6521 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
I sure remember my aunt having my cousin dancing across the floor with a fly swatter across the back of his calves/legs. I thing some of those old flyswatters were really thin flexible metal too.

Yep, the original ones were akin to heavy-duty screen with a heavy-duty edge reinforcement. I helped wear out a few of them for my grandmother - thankfully on the house flies rather than me!

Posts: 1660 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Mom used a wooden spoon. Dad spanked us with his hand. He did sheet metal work all of his life
His hand calluses, had calluses

Posts: 572 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post