SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wooden spoon survivor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wooden spoon survivor Login/Join 
posted
When I was a kid my mom spanked me and my three brothers with a wooden spoon.
The story goes I was the youngest and hid the spoon outside in the bushes.
It was found years later and I've been teased about it for forty years.
Found this while surfing and had to buy it. Family reunion this summer and
I'll wear it on day one! Big Grin

https://www.80stees.com/produc...oon-survivor-t-shirt

Posts: 1332 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
My Mom used a well worn 1x2.

I was the youngest of 5 kids, so it was broken in really well by the time it got used on me.

We tried burning it but all that did was get us whacked with a little char on it.

We broke it once and were forced to glue it back together and put some finish nails in it.

The result…You guessed it WHACK!

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I need this to give to my niece!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12706 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Mom broke plenty of wooden spoons and even paddleball game paddles on my backside. She eventually had dad cut her a piece of cove molding about 2 inches wide and only needed to use that once.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was the victim of a heavy yardstick. About 2" wide by 3/8" thick. The reach was better than the spoon. If used on the flat, it was more of a warning but when used on edge, things were getting real and I often deserved it. Not to say I was a naughty kid but I was! Haven't seen a yardstick like that in many years. It was the 357 Special of child readjustment tools unlike the principals paddle which was a 44 Magnum. And no, I do not consider myself to having been mistreated.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2949 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Belt. Youngest of 4, so by the time he got to me, he was tired Wink.
Mom’s spoon was a joke compared to that.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
There was a clear progression, based on severity of infraction:

Ticked Mom off: Bare hand on bare behind.

REALLY ticked Mom off, borderline "Wait until your Dad gets home": Heavy yard stick. Always on the flat, stung enough to get your undivided attention.

Stepped in it Bigtime: Razor Strop. Never wielded with much force, but it was a heavy leather strap about 3 inches wide and a quarter-inch thick. That would raise a welt and instill Proper Behavior for an extended period.

Usually deserved it, occasionally Little Brother would instigate and I'd get the stick.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15522 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom usually used whatever was available, spoon, flyswatter, switches off a bush (us kids had to go select the switch - too small and mom would go get her own, too large and it would hurt more, so it was a fine art to select the proper size).

Dad was a Vo-Ag teacher with a shop attached to his classroom. If a student misbehaved he would have them go in the shop and make a wooden paddle. He'd write their name on it and paddle them with it, then keep it in a barrel in a closet. He would return the paddle to them upon their graduation.

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 41 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
My Dad used a combination of mental and physical punishment.

He'd say " Cut me a switch " and hand me his pocket knife. I'd have to decide on the size and strength of said switch. Too large and it would really hurt , too small and I'd be sent back to do it again and possible more lashings.

Highly effective and lest you think he too cruel I don't believe this was a but a one or two time event and my behavior improved.

My memory of his face when he whipped me showed he liked even less than I did.

I still like to say " go cut me a switch" as an idle threat.

I see eagle0199 had a similar story

Posts: 2556 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Love the OP!

Not many memories of physical punishment but had my share.
Actually regretting my kids only know verbal warnings instead. The new ways are BS compared to the old and most kids are too soft and delicate, unable to wipe their own noses.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12271 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Yardstick for me, until I got old enough for the belt. My Dad always made a big production of taking it off, this was more terrifying than the actual whipping. Never more than two whacks with plenty of time between them to let the lesson "sink in." It was always Dad, Mom never resorted to physical punishment, just her showing her disappointment was punishment enough.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I don't remember a spoon, but remember the paddle and we also had a meter stick which was a little wider and a little thicker than the yardstick making it a better improvised paddle. It didn't occur often, but when it did I had earned it other than occasionally taking the rap for something my brother did.

I also remember the "that didn't hurt" incident with Mom. I did something that earned a spanking and I defiantly uttered that stupid phrase. Mom repeated the spanking but harder, and once again I defiantly uttered that stupid phrase. Mom didn't miss a beat and said, "don't worry your Dad will be home soon and it'll hurt." That's when I realized I hadn't thought that "plan" all the way through. BTW, when Dad got home his spanking hurt and afterward Dad imparted the "in the future, think before you speak" wisdom.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I was never scared of my Mom, many broken spoons or whatever she could get her hands on. But all she had to do was mention my dads name and the thought of his heavy leather belt on my ass would straighten me up

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made mom furious after dropping an FU at her, she broke every wooden spoon in the crock on my backside. Only to be reinforced when Dad got home that evening with his belt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, leather belt did the trick. The old man did not use often. But when he did it was not good.

Mom would wash mouth out with goood old bar of soap when needed. That was not fun either.

Good times.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19761 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Speaking of wooden spoons, this is a hilarious youtube video if you haven't seen it.

https://youtu.be/TXPQY_VRP6M

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1439 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In high school, my government teacher had a 3/4 inch dowel rod with a handle. It still gives me chills.

Posts: 72 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was never mom except for a quick swat and only a few times. Dad used the belt and only twice. Once for playing with matches and once for trying a cigarette. After that I learned not to do it or not to get caught. At 13 or so mom went to swat me and I grabbed her wrist mid swing. She couldn’t move. As I looked at her I thought to myself I’m gonna get a real ass kicking tonight. I never heard a word about it so I’m guessing she didn’t tell him. I also never tried to stop mom from swatting my butt again.

Posts: 1176 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah had to watch out for belts back in the day. Smile

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post