SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fridays with Deputy Frank [STRIKE]ASP[/STRIKE] ticketing Left Lane Bandits
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fridays with Deputy Frank [STRIKE]ASP[/STRIKE] ticketing Left Lane Bandits Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Frank has been a Friday source of entertainment for me for over a year now. He and occasionally his Sherriff riding along are good.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are trying to pass a new Florida law (HB 317) that would make left lane for passing only. We already have 316.081 which requires you to move over for faster traffic, but I've never seen it enforced here.
I personally can't stand left lane bandits-

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
The left lane is for passing. Period.

That's it, end of discussion.

Well, here in the US, that is true. In the UK, they do it backwards, but they do *NOT* camp in the fast lane. I have memories of flogging that Morris 1300, foot on the floor to get it to make the 70mph motorway speed limit. Cruising along in the slow lane, doing the speed limit, which was all I could get out of it, and seeing someone bearing down on me doing at least 100 *in the slow lane*, signal and pull out maybe three car lengths back, fly by, then pull back in two car lengths or less past. They actually get the concept of driving in the slow lane.

Around here, people who drive in the slow lane slow things down as that is the place to get around the idiots camping in the fast lane. Sigh...

Posts: 6924 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just had to pass one of them this morning on the right since he refused to move over and it was completely clear.

Then of course he discovers his right foot again and proceeds to zoom up on my rear and try to tailgate me.

I really don't get this mentality. At all.

Almost all of them do this around here along with half the drivers poking along in the right lane.
Entitled just assholes inflicting themselves on the world?

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 338 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Along with PASig’s example are the people that will slow down in the left lane while passing right lane traffic, only to speed back up again once they clear the traffic and the right lane is clear. Traffic in left lane will be cruising a little over 80 until the lead car comes up on a semi in the right lane. Next thing you know, we’re doing 72 in the left lane while the semi is going 69. The lead car speeds up until the next semi, repeat.

Posts: 11009 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
How about we just do away with all speed limits. No one drives the limit. Just send a trooper down the road once an hour with a snow plow to scrap all the trash off the road. Problems solved.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
I would rather he write tickets for speeding rather then hassle people doing the speed limit regardless of what lane they are in.
I wouldn't.

The left lane is for passing. Period.

I agree with this 100%, if you aren't passing traffic put your FAT backside in the right lane where it belongs. There was a time when Ohio and NY State enforced these laws. If you passed on the right you would get a ticket, if you camped in the left lane you'd get a ticket. It's amazing how well traffic would flow when the left lane was available for passing.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5664 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone here that the left is for passing. I agree so much that I put a powered airhorn and PA on my Jeep. To say that there is an epidemic of left lane camping here in Arizona, it’s an understatement. I wish there was an officer that was assigned to only roundabouts and left lane campers here in our town.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4030 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of this has to do with cruise control and smart cruise control…oh-and oblivious drivers.

Drivers set the cruise control, and are reluctant to mash the foot-feed to pass and get back in the right lane.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sheriff Mark Lamb puts on a pretty good show. If he's half as good of a boss as he is as a marketer (and I'm not saying that he isn't), then he's the kind of guy all cops want to work for.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would rather he write tickets for speeding rather then hassle people doing the speed limit regardless of what lane they are in.

I'm torn JGJ-
I don't know if you're serious or not.

Especially when your CUT is:
"Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do."

Yeah, it's "legal" to do the speed limit in the left lane. All day, every day...
But.... Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Sheriff Mark Lamb puts on a pretty good show. If he's half as good of a boss as he is as a marketer (and I'm not saying that he isn't), then he's the kind of guy all cops want to work for.

Sheriff Lamb is running for US Senator from Arizona.

CLICK LINK

I'd donate a few bucks.

Posts: 11863 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:

Sheriff Lamb is running for US Senator from Arizona.

CLICK LINK

I'd donate a few bucks.

I saw that. I think it will be a loss for their agency, but he seems like the kind of guy that could do some good.

I caught Sheriff Lamb and his chief deputy on a podcast a while back and I was very impressed with both of them and how they have tried to run their office.

Posts: 5166 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about we just do away with all speed limits. No one drives the limit. Just send a trooper down the road once an hour with a snow plow to scrap all the trash off the road. Problems solved.

I know that was probably sarcasm, but there is a lot of truth buried in there.

There are studies that show that the majority of people drive the speed they feel safe at, and do so safely, regardless of limits.

Fast(er) speeds themselves do not necessarily mean unsafe, and just like gun laws, those who exceed the posted speed limits will do so anyway.

I don't think the answer lies in what we tell people to do when driving, I believe the answer is making sure those who are driving actually know how to drive. We should prevent poor drivers from being on the roads.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15729 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Here in Las Vegas most decent-sized roads are three lanes in each direction. I'm a 'number-two-lane-five-over-the-limit' kind of guy. Works well for me as long as traffic allows. The number-one lane squatters are a pain in the ass I'm usually able to avoid.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

If that is your view of interstate driving, then you should not be driving on the interstate. Staying in the left lane without passing is breaking the law. It can be as dangerous, or more dangerous than speeding. It creates road rage and can cause wrecks.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
One does not play games east of 101 and south of 60. If Gilbert PD doesn't get out, Pinal County will. If Pinal County doesn't get you, AHP will. I haven't been pulled over since I got here because I don't do things to get pulled over, but I see a lot of people jammed up on the side of the road once I get out of Mesa and into parts south.

Oh, and I don't care who you are, if you sit your ass in the left lane and aren't going faster than the people to the right of you, your ass is in the wrong lane, I don't care how fast you're going. You can do the speed limit in the other fucking lanes.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Arkansas. Our roads are merely patches of road between large potholes. I’ll stand straight while I’ll tell ANY LEOs that a ticket is cheaper than a front end. Y’all can tear your vehicles up. Not me.

Posts: 96 | Registered: December 11, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imabmwnut:
I live in Arkansas. Our roads are merely patches of road between large potholes.

That's a pretty broad generalization. You must live in a very different part of the state than me. The roads up here in NWA are better than average, and noticeably better than a number of other states I've been to/through.

But road condition partly has to do with economics and tax income, so I could see how that wouldn't be the case in the more rural areas of the state away from the economic centers, especially the further south/east you go.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Imabmwnut:
I live in Arkansas. Our roads are merely patches of road between large potholes. I’ll stand straight while I’ll tell ANY LEOs that a ticket is cheaper than a front end. Y’all can tear your vehicles up. Not me.

Do you move to the right to let people pass, or do you let them pile up on your back bumper?

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post