SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Engine degreasers/parts cleaners - What's your preference?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Engine degreasers/parts cleaners - What's your preference? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted
Got the 13B on the stand & disassembled, now I need to clean it up, inside & out.

Need some good parts cleaner for the internal parts & general all-purpose cleaner for the exterior of the 'block'.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meguiar’s super degreaser for the outside of the block and parts. I’ve not used it internally so I won’t recommend it for that, but I see no reason it wouldn’t work well. Don’t let the name fool you - this is one of their professional grade products and it is very much that.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
No suggestion internally, but externally Super Clean. It works well, the price is right, can use straight or diluted so it's versatile, and readily available (e.g. Walmart for $8.97 per gallon).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Crown PSC 1000 Parts Cleaner

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
We don't have the luxury of a pressure washer at work and get to do everything by hand.
One of the cleaner engines I start with.

Scrape off the worst of it, then solvent and a brush with copious amounts of brake clean.
Some stuff can get soaked with Gunk engine degreaser and rinsed off but will still need to be scrubbed.
I take them down to the bare block and replace most everything bolted to it. I think I'm up to around 100 or so of this particular engine, Volvo D12D.

The dealership next door has a bad ass pressure washing station for the service dept, lucky bastards.

Posts: 1478 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job powermad!
I can smell that shop. (I called on diesel shops, I know that smell.)

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post