SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scenic train trips / historic rail lines in the Southeast?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scenic train trips / historic rail lines in the Southeast? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The wife and I want to take a scenic train trip somewhere in the southeastern US. Any suggestions? Thanks

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 108007 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
only thing really going is the silver service/palmetto

Posts: 8157 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There used to be a dinner train in this area -- board, have a scenic trip with dinner served, return to the same place.

The right of way has since been paved over for a walking / jogging / bicycling trail, so that doesn't do you much good.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30861 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
It's not a long ride, and you'll have to go to Bryson City, but my wife and I have taken this ride and it's beautiful country. Goes out on the shores of the Natahala Gorge and Lake Fontana.

http://www.gsmr.com/

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
The wife and I took the GSMR trip mentioned above. It was pretty nice. It is close driving distance to you. We did it during a vacation to the Asheville area.
There is also one in Blue Ridge. Haven't taken that one yet but the daughter has and they said it was nice.
one thing to consider is if the train has an "adults only" car. May be slightly more cost but not prohibitive and certainly worth it to us when available.

I have a book, Guide to North America's Tourist Railways and Museums, that is very informative. I think we bought it either at the GSMR depot or in Colorado at the Durango Silverton Narrow gauge shop. You can probably find it on line to buy or I can loan you ours if you like.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
It's not a long ride, and you'll have to go to Bryson City, but my wife and I have taken this ride and it's beautiful country. Goes out on the shores of the Natahala Gorge and Lake Fontana.

I just noticed where you're from. The wife and I vacationed up there last fall for several days. It was going to be a week but cut short by a hurricane heading towards home. We'll be back with our 2 boxers this fall probably.

Posts: 1235 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
In the fall, there is the scenic New River Train trips through the New River Gorge in southern West Virginia. They are day-trips. www.newrivertrain.com

Posts: 3816 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BOATTRASH1:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

I just noticed where you're from. The wife and I vacationed up there last fall for several days. It was going to be a week but cut short by a hurricane heading towards home. We'll be back with our 2 boxers this fall probably.

My email is in my profile. Please let me know if you make it back into this area.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Big South Fork is nice.
Wish it were a longer ride.
https://bsfsry.com

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25498 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
This might be kind of fun. I've never taken it, but somehow I ended up on their mailing list.

http://fireup611.org

Posts: 1699 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
How about taking the City of New Orleans from Memphis to NOLA?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
It has been too long ago to give specifics but the wife and I have taken rides originating form Etowah TN, Nashville and Bryson City, and probably a couple I'm forgetting over the years.

We enjoyed them all. The one thing most seem to have in common is multiple trips offered from the same origin. We always opt for the longest available as they seem to be over soon enough as it is.

I assume you have already done the Stone Mountain RR loop? Big Grin

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are you a triple A member?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54810 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've heard that the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway is nice. Only 4 hours though, maybe shorter than what you're looking for.

http://www.brscenic.com/

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5286 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaaron11:
I've heard that the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway is nice. Only 4 hours though, maybe shorter than what you're looking for.

http://www.brscenic.com/

My wife and I did this one.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39780 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
are you a triple A member?
Not AAA, Not AA, Hell, I may not even be A.

Posts: 108007 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John's creek has a AAA office.

If its like ours , they have a seven foot tall wall by 20 foot wide, sea of train travel brochures , catalogs, tours and guide books.

Next time you are up that way , maybe drop in and see if you can peruse , for a bit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54810 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post