SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever wonder what a nuke hit would look like for your city/town/area? Try this!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever wonder what a nuke hit would look like for your city/town/area? Try this! Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Pretty cool little map thingy...

Nukemap by Alex Wellerstein

First, it runs better on Chrome (at least compared to IE 9).

Second, it defaults to NY, but if you zoom out (mouse scroll down), you can broaden the map then click and hold on the red "hit" icon (looks like a balloon with a nuke symbol) and move it to where you live, then zoom in.

You can change the nuke characteristics, you can see causality counts, you can see shock wave impacts. Don't forget to hit the "Advanced Options" area (small triangle to open it up).

Pretty cool, well, morbid, but cool.

Oh, and you can do multi-strikes by hitting the launch multiple button.

In CO, we are pretty much screwed if we get a nuke hit due to the nuke fields in the north east of the state. I also simulated large nukes hitting Buckley AFB in Denver/Aurora and a large strike in CSprings at the AF Academy.

Even if I don't get killified, I'll get radiated due to the fallout... Frown

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Seen this before.

I like using it to know what the highest survivable yield is for my location if/when an ubber-liberal town (San Francisco, Seattle, etc) is hit. Smile

Also do the same if a major military installation is hit near me. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I dropped a 100 mega-ton Tsar Bomba on Dallas. It didn't end well.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm cooked

Posts: 4280 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Denver would need to get hit with more than 500kt to get me where I live.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Seen this before.

I like using it to know what the highest survivable yield is for my location if/when an ubber-liberal town (San Francisco, Seattle, etc) is hit. Smile

Also do the same if a major military installation is hit near me. Frown

I kind of think the San Francisco to San Jose peninsula, Silicon Valley, would be a prime target of any enemy who wants to do major damage America.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post