SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What would you have done?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you have done? Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
.... Your insurance company is likely to hang you out to dry since your act is negligent. Once again, when you lose you'll be on the hook for your attorney and station's attorney fees.

Here is what I recommend and do - stand next to vehicle while pumping your gas and drive over to a parking spot to use the c-store. That way you're not inconveniencing someone by blocking a pump and you aren't taking unnecessary risks.

Insurance only covers damages resulting from negligent acts, not intentional conduct.

If you collide with a car intentionally, no coverage. Carelessly, negligently, without due care, you are covered.
I always get negligence, gross negligence, and willful misconduct mixed up. Good thing we have excellent corporate counsel so we don't have to depend on engineer's mastery of the nuances of legal wording.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23315 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Regarding the practice of unattended pumping. I do this all the time, and many around here do...for which I'm thankful. Few things piss me off more than some idiot who stands there, fills up, returns the nozzle, and then proceeds to walk into the store to shop, leaving his vehicle blocking the pumps. Do one while you're doing the other so you don't hold people up at the pump.

I find that act just as infuriating. Don't try to convince me that you're always finished shopping before your car is finished filling. Not a chance. Not in my experience. You're still holding people up. Don't kid yourself. Stay with your vehicle for chrissakes, finish pumping, then park it, and go shop. (All this assuming a relatively busy station.)

And the OP did nothing wrong.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
For the last 5 years or so, I have put gas into my work truck at least once a day, sometimes twice. In all of these times I have never experienced, nor witnessed a gas spill due to a pump not shutting off.

I have also never witnessed a fire due to somebody speaking on the mobile phone, failing to shut off their vehicle prior to fueling, or any other danger we are often warned against.

I'm sure most of this is simply to cover the ass of the station should something happen, but I don't believe these occurrences are anywhere near the risk level we are led to believe.

I have also never witnessed somebody stealing gas from an unattended fueling. Suppose there's a first for everything. Wink
I've actually had the autoshutoff fail on me, but I was standing right there so I intervened while the spill was miniscule.

As far as the other items you list, they are highly dependent on environmental factors, and your sample size (i.e. your experience is too small). Plenty of CCTV videos on YouTube of each of the incidents you mentioned.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23315 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
After he yelled at me, we would be done, no info given about the plate number.

Sounds like the guy probably got a dose of pre-karma for his shitty attitude to you.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There was a theft in progress, why not just dial 911 and give them the plate number and description and let them handle the rest?

I'd probably take a photo or video, too.

I despise thieves.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
There was a theft in progress, why not just dial 911 and give them the plate number and description and let them handle the rest?

You and I both know that that would just be a giant waste of your time.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30431 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I guess we found a redeeming quality of New Jersey.

It's illegal to pump your own gas.

However, douchebags still leave there vehicles while getting filled up...

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I dunno. Perhaps there was a unit already nearby, or not, but why not try... would it really have taken materially longer than the course of action he chose? What, two minutes more? Five? He had a vehicle description, plate number, likely direction of travel once they left, of a crime in progress, and - had the call happened soon enough - they may have been some time gained while the knuckleheads finished stealing the gas.

No real criticism of the OP, mind you, just a thought...

I think I would have called.

ymmv

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is what I recommend and do - stand next to vehicle while pumping your gas and drive over to a parking spot to use the c-store. That way you're not inconveniencing someone by blocking a pump and you aren't taking unnecessary risks.
Damn! You're advocating the use of common sense in the world we currently live in? Surely you jest. Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
I despise thieves.
So do I. But if you leave the front and back doors to your home hanging wide open, depart for the day, and come back later to a burglarized house, I have no sympathy for you or interest in helping you.

I'll always go the extra mile for someone deserving of my help, but this guy by virtue of his behavior, did not deserve the Ops help. And his childish behavior after the fact only tends to bolster my position.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Kill
Picture of Wyatt_jr
posted Hide Post
I would have done exactly as the OP
but tell us,
honestly, was it an Escalade or an EXcalade? I just need to know.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Chester County, PA | Registered: March 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Escalade owner handled it wrong. He should have been thankful and took the info to the cops.

Kids, obviously, should not have been ripping off gas.

You did what I'd have done. Get the info and not get involved over a few gallons of gas.

Regarding the practice of unattended pumping. I do this all the time, and many around here do...for which I'm thankful. Few things piss me off more than some idiot who stands there, fills up, returns the nozzle, and then proceeds to walk into the store to shop, leaving his vehicle blocking the pumps. Do one while you're doing the other so you don't hold people up at the pump.
It's real common around here to pull into a gas station/store and see several unattended cars at the pumps, not pumping gas. People pull up to the pump and then go into the store to pay cash for gas or buy stuff. I haven't seen anyone get upset. I wouldn't fill up and then go into the store without moving the car, but many do.

Posts: 4015 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
For the last 5 years or so, I have put gas into my work truck at least once a day, sometimes twice. In all of these times I have never experienced, nor witnessed a gas spill due to a pump not shutting off.

I have also never witnessed a fire due to somebody speaking on the mobile phone, failing to shut off their vehicle prior to fueling, or any other danger we are often warned against.

I'm sure most of this is simply to cover the ass of the station should something happen, but I don't believe these occurrences are anywhere near the risk level we are led to believe.

I have also never witnessed somebody stealing gas from an unattended fueling. Suppose there's a first for everything. Wink
I've actually had the autoshutoff fail on me, but I was standing right there so I intervened while the spill was miniscule.

As far as the other items you list, they are highly dependent on environmental factors, and your sample size (i.e. your experience is too small). Plenty of CCTV videos on YouTube of each of the incidents you mentioned.

I've had this happen to me, and thankfully I was right there and handled it before it was too bad. Called the attendant out and he sprayed some stuff on the spill and tagged the pump. This was about three years ago or so. It can and does happen.

OP did more than I would have. I used to get involved. Working in downtown Tacoma cured me that urge.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I dunno. Perhaps there was a unit already nearby, or not, but why not try... would it really have taken materially longer than the course of action he chose? What, two minutes more? Five? He had a vehicle description, plate number, likely direction of travel once they left, of a crime in progress, and - had the call happened soon enough - they may have been some time gained while the knuckleheads finished stealing the gas.

No real criticism of the OP, mind you, just a thought...

I think I would have called.

ymmv

Not saying it's the wrong thing to do. To the contrary, it's probably what one should do. I just don't think the police would care a wit unless they happen to be right there to do something about it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
the kids here , ( over in the big city )
wait out side of the stop and robs,
they wait for the people that leave their vehicles running while they "go in , just for a second"

then the kids hop in and its saturday night in Sioux city , for them Wah Hoo

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54697 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I would have done what you did and he got what he deserved. Not sure I would have said a word to him about what I saw. Hate to say it but its a little funny but it was not my gas.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
My alternative view...

If I was up for a bit of fun, I would have wandered into the store and told the Escalade owner some kids are using his pump to fill their car. Then sat back to watch the show. His choice - handle it or call the police.

But only if armed in case I had to fight my way to my car. Of course I am always armed.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My alternative view...

If I was up for a bit of fun, I would have wandered into the store and told the Escalade owner some kids are using his pump to fill their car. Then sat back to watch the show. His choice - handle it or call the police.

Knowing now what a jerk he was that would have been funny. I have done stuff like that before in my early twenties. I perfected that shit in my teens in terms of watching two adults get into it, and leave me the hell alone.

The OP did the right and responsible thing. I remember the undercover cop who recognized the armed robber at a fast food restaurant who had previously held up JIMMY JOHNS. He was standing next to the guy when he noticed who he was and went outside and called 911 with a good description. p

Posts: 17280 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post