SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Ford F250 Mechanics?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Ford F250 Mechanics? Login/Join 
posted
Looking at late 1st gen F250 SuperDuty gassers. Main use of the truck will be for plowing. Which motor should I go after, 2 valve or 3 valve. Don't care about fuel economy, V10?

Thanks

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
You don't want a John Deere for plowing?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
You don't want a John Deere for plowing?

No. Need a truck for plowing mountain roads.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this applies to the Super Duties but I do know that some of the 5.4 3 valve gassers had some issues, particularly when one tried to change the spark plugs. Of the two choices I’d go with the V10.

That said, the wife and I bought a 2001 7.3 Power Stroke for our daughter’s first vehicle 14 months ago. That would be my personal route of choice, just plug the block heater in on cold nights and don’t worry about it because the 7.3 is one hell of an engine.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
Not sure if this applies to the Super Duties but I do know that some of the 5.4 3 valve gassers had some issues, particularly when one tried to change the spark plugs. Of the two choices I’d go with the V10.

That said, the wife and I bought a 2001 7.3 Power Stroke for our daughter’s first vehicle 14 months ago. That would be my personal route of choice, just plug the block heater in on cold nights and don’t worry about it because the 7.3 is one hell of an engine.

Wanting a gasser for a plow truck. It's going to spend it's life outside.

It is very cool you and your wife bought your daughter a 7.3 Power Stroke as a first vehicle!!

posted Hide Post
99-02 or 03 were known to on occasion spit plugs out of the cylinder head. Happened with both the 5.4 and the V10

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I have a 2002 F-250 with the 5.4 2v and that is the motor you want. The 3v version has been named one of Fords worst motors by many. The main issue is the cam phasers.

The 2V does sometimes blow out spark plugs but I haven’t had that issue. Will say that if it does occur it's a fairly easy fix with a heli-coil vs a motor grenading on the 3V when the timing fails.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

THIS, go with the 7.3 powerstroke. Motor is an incredible motor. In summer months you can run it on 50% drain oil in the fuel tank and runs great on that.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
quote:

Wanting a gasser for a plow truck. It's going to spend it's life outside.

It is very cool you and your wife bought your daughter a 7.3 Power Stroke as a first vehicle!!

Heh, hell of a sight to see a 5’ 3” 110 lb young lady step out of that monster.

And I get it on the gasser for plowing. It’s just after the horror stories I’ve heard about the FoMoCo gas engines from that era, either spark plugs breaking Of in the head or spitting out as mentioned above, I’d be hesitant although by this point in time those issues on a used truck have likely been addressed.

I’d still lean toward the V10 though personally.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of those choices get the v10. But of course the correct answer is 7.3. From one who
manages a fleet of emergency vehicles who have had those engines. If

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The F-Super Duty is a good chassis but with so-so engines. Of the gas engine choices, 5.4 2-valve (99-04 models) or the V10. I'm not thrilled with either. I prefer my spark plugs to not blow out of the heads. I also see broken exhaust manifold studs (a difficult repair) too often. The 7.3 (avoid the 6.0 like the plague) diesel is better than either, but noting your location, which often sees subzero temperatures, fuel issues (gelling) are possible. I assume this is why you want gas. This can be worked around, however.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the cutest girls I ever knew was hardly 5 ft tall. Her first car was a Dodge 2500, the first year diesel, and jacked up several inches to boot. That one got totaled, but she found another one, and still has it. Now 32, 2 darling kids. Never did know how she gets in it, maybe levitation.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
FWIU Plug issue is related to improper plug installs on the 5.4, yes it has some issues with the thread design, but generally what happens is someone is afraid of them, doesn't torque the plugs in properly and they rotate loose and pop out.

Had it happen to me, had to have that cylinder fixed with a heli-coil for 5.4's the other 7 are fine, one loose plug and it will be a problem.

Posts: 23516 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post