SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Louisiana Bans Vegan "Bacon"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Louisiana Bans Vegan "Bacon" Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Good for my neighbors in Louisiana. Too bad Texas didn't do this during its 2019 legislative session (our legislature is only in session every other year for a maximum of 140 days) because if even one commie moves back to Commiefornia it'd be a win.

Since Louisiana grows a lot of rice, I can see why they're annoyed by riced cauliflower, riced broccoli, etc.
quote:
No more veggie bacon? Louisiana governor signs labeling bill

June 17, 2019 Updated: June 17, 2019 2:44 p.m.

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Vegan bacon, broccoli rice and other veggie foods will need new names to stay on Louisiana's grocery store shelves next year.

Gov. John Bel Edwards' office announced Monday the Democratic governor has signed new food labeling restrictions into law.

The law will keep veggie products from being called meat, non-rice products from being described as rice and sugar alternatives from being marketed as sugar.

The restrictions begin in October 2020. Louisiana's agriculture commissioner will enforce the law, with civil penalties up to $500 per day for violations.

Supporters say they're protecting Louisiana's agriculture industry and ensuring consumers know what they're buying. Opponents say the law will lessen the availability of some veggie products for Louisiana consumers.

Six other states have passed similar food labeling restrictions.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't get it...who cares? Is anyone, consumer or otherwise actually thinking "cauliflower rice" is Calrose? That "vegan bacon" is pork? Confused

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I guess I don't get it...who cares? Is anyone, consumer or otherwise actually thinking "cauliflower rice" is Calrose? That "vegan bacon" is pork? Confused
Yes, exactly that. Do not underestimate the stupidity or lack of education of the general public. When something is "idiotproofed", someone just breeds a better idiot.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You could add turkey bacon tp the list. There is only one thing that is bacon. Nuff said.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19256 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Yes, exactly that. Do not underestimate the stupidity or lack of education of the general public. When something is "idiotproofed", someone just breeds a better idiot.

flashguy

I get that and yet...I see obese people in checkout lines all the time, but I've never seen them with these products? I don't think anyone is getting fooled!

Maybe the dumbest of all will get tricked skinny! Big Grin

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s kind of like the French and champaign. If it’s not made in the region then it’s not Champaign - it’s sparkling white or method champaignoise. Yes they sued for that as well. I believe they tried to do it with Brie cheese as well. And the Greeks tried it with feta.

What’s in a name?

Posts: 1755 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Good for my neighbors in Louisiana. Too bad Texas didn't do this during its 2019 legislative session (our legislature is only in session every other year for a maximum of 140 days) because if even one commie moves back to Commiefornia it'd be a win.

Since Louisiana grows a lot of rice, I can see why they're annoyed by riced cauliflower, riced broccoli, etc.
quote:
No more veggie bacon? Louisiana governor signs labeling bill

June 17, 2019 Updated: June 17, 2019 2:44 p.m.

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Vegan bacon, broccoli rice and other veggie foods will need new names to stay on Louisiana's grocery store shelves next year.

Gov. John Bel Edwards' office announced Monday the Democratic governor has signed new food labeling restrictions into law.

The law will keep veggie products from being called meat, non-rice products from being described as rice and sugar alternatives from being marketed as sugar.

The restrictions begin in October 2020. Louisiana's agriculture commissioner will enforce the law, with civil penalties up to $500 per day for violations.

Supporters say they're protecting Louisiana's agriculture industry and ensuring consumers know what they're buying. Opponents say the law will lessen the availability of some veggie products for Louisiana consumers.

Six other states have passed similar food labeling restrictions.

Louisiana rice fields yesterday in Crowley, LA

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
quote:
Louisiana grows a lot of rice

It would be more accurate to say that we have a lot of crawfish ponds, therefore we grow more rice as a secondary crop. Wink

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2277 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
So nothing is actually being banned. Labels are being required to accurately reflect what the product is.

Posts: 11023 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by trapper189:
So nothing is actually being banned. Labels are being required to accurately reflect what the product is.[/QUOTE

Correct

I noticed at Trader Joe’s this past weekend their packaging already reflects this. Almond beverage. Soy beverage instead of almond milk, soy milk

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post