SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The NFL can expect even lower rating with these actions...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The NFL can expect even lower rating with these actions... Login/Join 
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

For me Redskins football is so ingrained in my life, there is no walking away, it would take some serious shit for me to do that. My favorite memories as a boy with my dad was at skin's games.

So if the whole team or even just most of them disrespected the flag of your country, thereby disrespecting the men and women who died for it and you, that's not serious enough for you to walk away from them? That's sad.

quote:
I can watch without contributing a cent to the NFL or team (if need be).

You contribute when you watch whether you like it or not. The advertisers are what bring in the big bucks. Rationalize it all you want, but you are supporting these anti-American fools, who hate you and me by the way, whenever you watch them play.

All due respect but we live in a world where it's not feasible to boycott every person, company, product and service because an opinion differs from our own. Part of freedom is being able to disagree with other opinions no matter how offensive they are while appreciating talent art and ingenuity for what it is.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Hard to predict where this will go beyond my own actions. I abandoned pro sports long ago when players began to display poor character proudly. Now with the shroud of PC hanging heavily on nearly everyone and everything, I can't imagine the right thing happening. Were I in charge I'd lay down the law that while you are on NFL time you'll do nothing to damage the brand or you are out. That would be a very public announcement live at the start of every game until I was certain all heard it. The I would enforce it without exception.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29707 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:....If somebody does something I find sufficiently offensive, I simply cannot enjoy their performance any longer. E.g.: Barbara Streisand has one of the best singing voices there ever was, but I will not buy her music. I can still appreciate her talent, but cannot get the echos of "leftist loon" out of my head....

JMHO.

Repeat. I detest Streisand's politics so much I can't stand to watch/listen to anything she does. There are a few others in that category.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Hard to predict where this will go beyond my own actions. I abandoned pro sports long ago when players began to display poor character proudly. Now with the shroud of PC hanging heavily on nearly everyone and everything, I can't imagine the right thing happening. Were I in charge I'd lay down the law that while you are on NFL time you'll do nothing to damage the brand or you are out. That would be a very public announcement live at the start of every game until I was certain all heard it. The I would enforce it without exception.

Another ditto.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The team owners are just whores. If a team were to cut a really good player, another team would pick him up quickly. Sure, the only example we've seen so far is Kapernick who was at best marginal. I would be surprised if he ever plays again. I do agree the teams could and should have ended it.

The players have a lot of pride. Usually too much and feel the only reason they're not playing isn't their fault. When a player overestimates his ability like Kapernick, he quickly finds he is expendable. I have no idea what, if anything, was going through his mind when he opted out of the rest of his contract. Maybe a brain injury if he has a brain.

The first team players, the ones who are really at the top of their game probably are concentrating on play, not political stunts. For the 2nd teamers (and lower)they would be well advised to not call attention to themselves. While the ball clubs have a lot of money invested in them, they can easily be replaced with another non-performer. They have practice squads full of players who would love to be given another chance. I would bet most would swear on a stack of bibles they wouldn't do any stunts to get them booted.

And there is a middle ground solution. I know, it wouldn't draw attention to them. The coach should just announce before the game that anyone who won't stand for our national anthem should remain inside the locker room until after its over. Running out on the field with the team requires them to stand. Then a coach should do the obvious. If they don't show respect of the country and team, they should just cut them. It might take a week or two, but even the dumbest football thug would get the idea. I guess the teams couldn't conspire to blackball them, but the teams also need enough pride to end the bullshit.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to watch pro football a lot but the past few years have seen me losing interest.
Big salaries, bigger mouths and now this.
IIRC, last year saw some very low ratings for some games. I personally didn't watch one and skipped the Super Bowl altogether. It'll get worse this year.
I don't hate the Cowboys but I don't like them either. Jerry Jones OTOH has my respect for standing up to this and issuing his ultimatum should any of his players do this shit. More owners should take his cue and institute this.
Most of the people I work with are Browns fans and seeing as I'm about 40 miles away from Cleveland, I'll hear what they have to say today.
I really don't get this while thing though and I'm like a dog that hears something strange. Head tilted to one side thinking what the fuck is that. Even the lowest paid players make more than most people. You're being paid to play a game. It's a serious game and an injury could leave you crippled for life possibly but still. Then you want to kneel or sit as the American Anthem is being played? Social injustice?
Alright, it's America and it's a free country so do what you please. Just remember, actions have consequences.
I won't be watching any games this year. College games, yes.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well there goes me watching the Browns.
My interest for pro sports especially pro football has waned considerably over the years.

The Browns were still my team even thought i moved to VA in 2001.

((If I am home, I will probably watch them because my dad will have it on, but that is more about spending time with my family which I don't get to see as much as I like ))

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
All due respect but we live in a world where it's not feasible to boycott every person, company, product and service because an opinion differs from our own.

Yes, but I can really, really easily purge my personal world from anything having to do with the NFL.
They are dead to me, and I switch channels as soon as there is any mention of them.

Similar to what I do any time I see Sean Penn or Susan Sarandon or Barbra Streisand on the TV. Big Grin

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
And my interest in the NFL is about to flatline. Roll Eyes

Mine flatlined about ten years ago. And it has nothing to do with politics.

I think pro football is boring. It is the slowest game in the world. In a three hour telecast, there is about 35 or 45 minutes of action. The rest consists of morons talking.

There is more action in a televised snooker match on the BBC. And the announcers keep quiet for minutes at a time.

I don't know why people complain baseball is slow (and it is, but in a different way) and then claim to like pro football.

I also don't understand the fanatic attraction to a for-profit enterprise. "We won!" - No "we" didn't do shit. A group of highly paid young men won. You just watched. I enjoy some sports, but being a fan is a very small part of my life.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't football a winter game that's played without a puck?

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I can watch without contributing a cent to the NFL or team (if need be).

No you can't. You are part of the advertising target that generates big dollars for NFL teams. If you watch football, you are contributing to the NFL and the Redskins profits. I'm no fan of boycotts because they don't do much good, but don't fool yourself, you are contributing when you watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I think pro football is boring. It is the slowest game in the world.

DVR FTW

I normally can watch a game in about 45 minutes.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I think pro football is boring. It is the slowest game in the world.

DVR FTW

I normally can watch a game in about 45 minutes.

If I were inclined to watch, that is what I would do. But I am not.

Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:

The NFL is no different. Go ahead and fire everybody protesting on NFL time. It'll be a shitstorm, but maybe it'll get the point across.

Sort of like Reagan with the Air Traffic Controllers...Love it!

It's Bush's fault.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The NFL apparently just DOES NOT GET IT that this kind of SJW shit does not play with their core constituency AT ALL.

How dammed stupid can they be? It's unbelievable to me!

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Uh, unless we're looking at a still for a remake, HaraKiri was shot in B&W.

What are we looking at? A production still?
Looks like a 2011 remake.
They certainly found a ringer for the role of the protagonist!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107618 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
All this foolishness about cutting or punishing a player isn't going to happen, at least not to players who are really good. A coach would cut off his arm before cutting such a player. Owners too.

If you are marginal, maybe getting older, you had best act right. If Kaepernick was playing like Joe Montana, he'd be as safe as a lamb.

Tom Brady can get away with it. Johnny Manziel couldn't.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
It's interesting the NFL regulates what they wear while warming up along with their social media activity before a game, but let's them do whatever they want during the Anthem. If they wanted to put a stop to this they could.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
All this foolishness about cutting or punishing a player isn't going to happen, at least not to players who are really good. A coach would cut off his arm before cutting such a player. Owners too.

If you are marginal, maybe getting older, you had best act right. If Kaepernick was playing like Joe Montana, he'd be as safe as a lamb.

Tom Brady can get away with it. Johnny Manziel couldn't.

Which shows exactly how much of a money whore all of these owners are. They couldn't care less if convicted murderers and child rapists played the game, so long as it made them an extra dollar or $10 million.

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
As someone who hasn't spent a dime on football in 10-years, I regret I can't save money by not sending any to the NFL.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post