SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is this strong Vodka Rebottled as Hand Sanitizer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this strong Vodka Rebottled as Hand Sanitizer? Login/Join 
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted
As I was food shopping today at my local grocery store (Yes, I was wearing my Luchador Mexican Wrestling Mask).

I thought I saw bottles of liquor for sale (In PA/NJ no liquor in stores). Upon closer inspection, it’s liquid hand sanitizer made by a Liquor Distillery.

I picked one up sort of as a novelty to tell my great grandchildren how stupid things were.

My question: Is this just 160 proof vodka? It smells just like vodka, its the same viscosity as vodka or alcohol as well.

I’d taste test in the name of science and curiosity, but I gave up drinking, the wife is prego, and my two year is basically already a happy/angry drunk.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I would keep it as a near souvenir. Vodka sucks anyway. Do they have a portable version in the little airline bottles?

They may have denatured it by adding something like methanol to make it undrinkable. Any warnings on the label?

It would be interesting to analyze in the chem lab at work.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Show us the warning label.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
WHO Formula. That's freaking hilarious. Especially that you bought it wearing your Mexican wrestler mask.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’ve got the exact same bottle, but have not used it yet.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
If it's the WHO formula, it will contain hydrogen peroxide and glycerol, not usual constituents of vodka. The ethanol is probably the same. No drinky.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
WHO Formula. That's freaking hilarious. Especially that you bought it wearing your Mexican wrestler mask.

Second time at Shop Rite Big Grin

Since there was a chill in the air, Instead of a cut off t-shirt, I was dressed more conservatively in a Black Patagonia fleece and jeans, which the mask stylishly complimented. I also got 3 picture requests.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC- there's 2 types of alcohol:
Grain- good. This is the alcohol that you can drink

Wood- bad. This is rubbing alcohol, denatured alcohol, methol alcohol. You'll go blind, rickets, the "Jake leg"...

More than a few Distilers have repurposed a batch or two and used it as "hand sanitizer". Koval, which is a local Distiler, has done it. Same as what you have; smells and looks like Vodka, but the hell if I'm drinking it!

Look up at some of the downside of the "Probition Era" and bootleg liquor (bathtub gin). A bunch of people who either didn't know or didn't care what they were doing used to make a batch of alcohol, but because if ignorance, wouldn't throw out the methol alcohol that comes with making a batch of moonshine.
People would go blind and/or get pretty messed up (physically sick- not just drunk) from drinking it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a bottle too from another PA distillery, a lot of them switched to making sanitizer when it became scarce and also in an attempt to stay afloat financially.

I think most of them are raw alcohol, basically moonshine, with some additives like aloe and glycerin.

Here’s mine:

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Cool bottle!!

Yeah, I wasn’t sure about the kind of alcohol they were using. Figured they’d just keep making their product relabeled with cheap ingredients. Like ya said, moonshine.

There it is at the bottom, some glycerin and some H2O2

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Well, actually...

Ethyl alcohol (ethanol): drinking alchohol. Called grain alcohol when derived from agricultural sources.
Denatured alcohol: ethyl alcohol with additives to make it intentionally toxic.
Rubbing alcohol: isopropyl alcohol, also not drinkable with a moderate level of toxicity.
Wood alcohol: methyl alcohol (methanol). Can be obtained by the distillation of wood. This is the kind that makes you blind or dead.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
What is this world coming to when you can't find a local wino/town drunk to "test" this for you?!?!?! Sheesh! In my day you had to hide the Sterno!

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I was going to try an buy a bottle as a gag gift for a friend and Amazon has that 1 liter bottle selling for $35 bucks.

I love a good joke, but $35 is more than I want to pay for a laugh.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The only thing that would concern me is the hydrogen peroxide.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I have a bottle too from another PA distillery, a lot of them switched to making sanitizer when it became scarce and also in an attempt to stay afloat financially.

I think most of them are raw alcohol, basically moonshine, with some additives like aloe and glycerin.

Here’s mine:

[IMG][/IMG]

I got some of this stuff, it smells horrible.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I was going to try an buy a bottle as a gag gift for a friend and Amazon has that 1 liter bottle selling for $35 bucks.

Holy hell! This was $8!

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Balzé Halzé, when you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. Just for fun.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Just $13.00 on the counter here in Kentucky. Pretty good price.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
[QUOTE] Just $13.00 on the counter here in Kentucky.

Which counter?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rburg,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post