SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stellar eye checkup for an old fart
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stellar eye checkup for an old fart Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
My eyes have been working well and I hoped missing annual checkups didn't bite me in the ass. My eye doctor told me my last visit was in 2015. An assistant did most of the checking, right eye 20/20, left eye 20/15. She asks if I use readers and I say 1.25 if my eyes are tired or the lighting is bad and script is small. She hands me the card to test close up reading and I said I could read every line but the bottom one. She said you don't really need readers. When she went through testing corrections, I could see better without corrections.

The eye doctor comes in after reading the testing and says my vision is amazing. Some drops for slight dry eyes and a scolding to be sure to come back next year. Not bad for 69 years old.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Gotta love that!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5350 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 66 and my vision is better now than it was 5 yrs ago . I wore glasses for distance since the fourth grade . I no longer need them . Weird .

Posts: 4070 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm 66 and my vision is better now than it was 5 yrs ago . I wore glasses for distance since the fourth grade . I no longer need them . Weird .

For a while I was getting to where I had to hold things at a further distance to focus, not as much of an issue now.

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Guys, what's your secret? I'm 52 and cannot read anything closer than my outstretched hand without readers. I'm currently using 1.75.

Prior to old man eyes setting in, I was 20/20 in both eyes and still have good farsighted vision.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 77 and have perfect vision, hearing, not so much!

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
77 and perfect vision is probably 10 times rarer than perfect vision at 69.

posted Hide Post
I have been very blessed in that regard. My hearing is full of tinnitus tho, a result of shooting without ear protection when younger,and the roar of jet and turboprop engines.
I doubt if hearing aids would help much...

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 689 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

My eye doc tole me vision can reverse back the other way. I'm still waiting for that to happen.
I've been correcting w/ contacts since high school. Luckily things have stayed steady or I'd need a longer barreled pistol to move the front sight out a bit more.

Posts: 7375 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My eyes have been working well and I hoped missing annual checkups didn't bite me in the ass. My eye doctor told me my last visit was in 2015. An assistant did most of the checking, right eye 20/20, left eye 20/15.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good for you. Annual exams are suggested to pick up glaucoma which is painless and slowly steals peripheral vision as well as AMD.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jprebb:
Guys, what's your secret? I'm 52 and cannot read anything closer than my outstretched hand without readers. I'm currently using 1.75.

Prior to old man eyes setting in, I was 20/20 in both eyes and still have good farsighted vision.

JP

Well, presbyopia will get us eventually. My far-sighted vision actually got slightly better and near didn't change much after 3 years. I actually had the ophthalmologist send me images of my retinal imaging. Probably as important as the vision correction. Oh, just my opinion, eliminate all seed (vegetable) oils.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stellar eye checkup for an old fart

You must have good genetics, congrats.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post