SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question for stock/financial experts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for stock/financial experts Login/Join 
posted
The wife inherited a small amount of two rather obscure utility stocks when her mother passed away 4/26/11 which she sold in 2016 to raise cash. Looking for confirmation I properly estimated the cost basis for those. One was Pepco Holdings which I think closed at 18.83 on that day, and the other was RGC Resources which appears to have been 11.32 on that same day. Do those figures seem right, even considering RGC has split since then (I don't believe Pepco has)? Thanks for any help on this.

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
PEPCO is not a small obscure company. They provide power to DC and good part of MD.

Look up stepped up cost basis.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
It depends - An estate can value assets at date of death or an alternative valuation date. If it the estate was under $5m you're probably safe in assuming that the valuation used was date of death.

There are online or printed books that provide stock values at any particular date. I assume that's the source of your numbers. (I didn't check.)

if she sold all of the stock she inherited then she can take the number of shares she originally received x the stock price on that date. You can ignore the impact of the splits. If you sold all the shares, all you need is total basis.

When you prepare your return you'll show acquisition date as date of death. You'll have long term capital gain or loss.

Hope this helps.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post