SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Must see/do in Charleston SC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must see/do in Charleston SC Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
A lot of great places mentioned already. Some I’ve tried and other I haven’t made it to yet. I do agree that Hominy is overrated, but to each their own. Most higher end places you will need reservations so start calling now. I’m just across the bridge, drop me a line if you need anything when you’re here.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
We’re going down the first weekend of April. I’m taking my wife to see Jimmy Buffet at the North Charleston Coliseum, and spending a couple days relaxing.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
We’re going down the first weekend of April. I’m taking my wife to see Jimmy Buffet at the North Charleston Coliseum, and spending a couple days relaxing.

Hanks Seafood on Hayne St is one of our Charleston favorites.

You might even run into Jimmy there.
The staff informed me that Jimmy and Hank are good friends.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
The flag that flew over Sumpter April 12, 1861. In the Fort's Museum.

Sumter Flag

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So, I need to save this, to repost when these come up, but:

A) My place, Republic Ice Cream, on 431 King St - send me your address, and I'll send you some tokens for it.

B) Tricera Coffee on George St, or the Bakehouse on East Bay, has great coffee, and owned by friends.

C) Breizh Pan Crepes is a great place for breakfast, owned by a lovely French couple.

D) Belmond Place/Rue de Jean for drinks/late night. (Charcuterie plate at Belmond. Duck Confit Salad, or steak tartar or burger and fries at Rue de Jean. RdJ is also supposed to have great sushi.)

E) If you like grilled octopus, had a great place for it, but was too gone at the time to remember the name, but I can find out, if interested.

F) Halls Chophouse, if you want good, expensive, steaks with a 3 week wait for a table. (Its supposed to be excellent. I'll be going there next month, but there are more interesting meals to eat in Charleston than steak.)

G) FIG is excellent.

H) Peninsula Grill has amazing Foe Gras.

I) Basil's - Thai food. Tom Ka soup, and the duck confit cashew salad.

Hyman's serves basic fried seafood, and hushpuppies. Charleston has an active, and creative, food scene. Unless that's really what you want, I'd try another place.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add to this, I ate at Red's Ice House, Shrimp and grits were the best I have ever had!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
quote:

Hanks seafood and hall's chophouse are both excellent restaurants in Charleston. I'd also say halls chophouse has some of the best steaks I've ever had. I've never had a wait to get into halls. Billy hall always gets me right in.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
The flag that flew over Sumpter April 12, 1861. In the Fort's Museum.

Sumter Flag

I have that picture too!

Their current flag is slightly larger though.

The absoult very best sightseeing place down there is Boneyard Beach (bit of a drive from Charleston, but not far) Hard to find on a map, need to walk to it through a nature preserve. You can also only go at low tide, you get a bit over an hour from what the ranger told us. We timed it perfect unknowingly going for sunrise and sunrise that day happened to fall on low tide.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dbltap:
quote:

We'll check it out. Thanks!

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I have to do some research now. We definitely will not have time for everything.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next to Yorktown is the destroyer Laffy that took 5 Kamakaze hits at Okinawa and survived.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post