SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Power inlet for portable generator
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power inlet for portable generator Login/Join 
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted
Recently picked up a portable generator. After the Valentine's Day freeze and blackout in Texas, we don't want to go without power that long again. So I'm going to add a power inlet and interlock. Question about where to mount the inlet. I could get one that uses a knockout in the bottom of the panel. But I'd have to run the power cord to it. Our meter and panel are next to one another with both just outside our fence. Also on that side of the house (inside the fence) is the box where our cable connects. I'm assuming it's not a good idea to mount the inlet next to that box. Or will it make no difference? Any other tips I should know before starting down this path?

The generator is a good size. 8kW constant/10kW peak. And it can run on propane or natural gas. Thinking about having a natural gas stub poked out there. The gas stove has a line that comes down the wall inside. So would just have to have someone tee and run a stub out there. Could also run my Weber grill with NG too.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We have pretty much the same. We had a cable run from the panel to our back porch for the inlet.

Are you in the Houston area?

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you in the Houston area?

Yep. Clear Lake -ish area.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:

Yep. Clear Lake -ish area.

https://veteranelectric.net

This is who we had do our install. I bought the inlet box and interlock ahead, they did the conduit and ran the cable through the attic, as well as install the interlock and generator breaker in the panel.

Our panel arrangement is almost exactly what you describe outside the fence and the cable TV box just on the other side. Our porch is on the opposite side of the house from the panel and needed a cable run of about 30ft.including verticals.

We had all this done before Snowmageddon, worked like a champ.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask this old house has a decent video on wiring up a transfer switch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLgtFCJlVFQ

I added one to my panel which is located inside my garage. I did not need to run an extension for the generator plug. I did the 6 circuit switch and regret not getting the 10 switch.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Re...Kit-310CRK/205793178

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
To reiterate what's implied in the last two posts, you NEED some sort of transfer switch. You do NOT want power back-feeding into the grid. This is unsafe. Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
He did say interlock in the OP. Smile Valid point, and why I had an electrician do the install for me. My interlock prevents the main line breaker from being on while the generator breaker is on.

posted Hide Post
The real issue is where you can safely run the generator. It has to be outside, most are not rated for any weather, it has to not be near combustibles, attached to fuel if you are using a static source.
Unless you have an auto transfer switch the issue of the cord is mostly irrelevant as you are going to have to manually start the generator and cut over to it any way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I do have the interlock identified. Made by Eaton (Cutler Hammer) for this panel. I can do the electrical myself. Mostly I was asking if locating the inlet close to the cable/phone inlet would cause signal issues. The generator would be outdoors, away from doors and windows. Plus it has a CO2 sensor and shutoff built in. So if it's in a location where those build up it will auto shutdown anyway.

Mostly looking for tips on who has done this and what type inlet box they used and why.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
As long as you are 1-2 feet away from data/telecom connections you're fine. Most likely wouldn't matter if you're closer. The thing you don't want to do is run them parallel to each other in close proximity over any distance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You mentioned hooking up to your existing NG line. Check the generator manual and find out how many CFH of NG it needs to run. You may need a bigger pipe and meter to run the generator and whatever else you already use NG for.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
You mentioned hooking up to your existing NG line. Check the generator manual and find out how many CFH of NG it needs to run. You may need a bigger pipe and meter to run the generator and whatever else you already use NG for.

This is definitely a consideration. It can be solved though either larger piping to a manifold or use of a split pressure system. A 8kw generator is not a super huge load so if he's going to the meter than it shouldn't matter. Where I live meter upgrades are free since they assume you will be buying more NG.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
To reiterate what's implied in the last two posts, you NEED some sort of transfer switch. You do NOT want power back-feeding into the grid. This is unsafe. Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

This.

After considering running my own orange receptacles etc, I just had an electrician come and do a transfer switch for $550 and now it’s both code, and fool-proof.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9158 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Wasn’t part of the failure of the TX grid a failure of the NG supplies? I’ve never liked the idea of relying on the gas company to supply the fuel for a generator. It’s convenient, but you’re still relying on something offsite.

Being those are my concerns, I went with a diesel generator. A Kubota powered H rated generator at 14.5 KW. Diesel has a whole other set of problems, but at least it’s entirely self sufficient during an emergency. I keep about 200 gallons on hand. I installed it using an interlock. Easy to install.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Have plenty of NG supply. Went to tankless WH and we had more than enough to feed that without upgrading. Home is fairly new so that's no problem.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You'll have enough to run the generator or the water heater for sure.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
As others mentioned, figure where you want the generator while in use, and place your outlet there.

Much better to run proper fixed wiring as much as possible, and keep the flexible extension from the generator to the outlet a short as possible. Yes, they make 25 foot cords. But the 6 foot is better over time (and a lot easier to deal with for you as well).

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:
Plus it has a CO2 sensor and shutoff built in. So if it's in a location where those build up it will auto shutdown anyway.

Mostly looking for tips on who has done this and what type inlet box they used and why.

A CO2 sensor will not do you any good, a CO sensor on the other hand.........yes, I know what you meant.

Posts: 4110 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post