SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DayQuil and NyQuil Alternatives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayQuil and NyQuil Alternatives? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Came down with a pretty nasty cold this week and picked up some DayQuil and NyQuil and have to say this stuff is pretty much worthless now, I think the FDA recently came out and said the decongestant in it now (Phenylephrine) the past 10+ years simply doesn’t work.

I sat down and looked at the ingredients and it’s basically some cough suppressant, acetaminophen and Phenylephrine in the day version and Doxylamine in the night version.

Is there anything out there that actually works?

It almost seems like I would just be better off taking a separate dose of something like a Benadryl, acetaminophen, and some kind of cough suppressant.

What do you all use?

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Theraflu was recommended to me. I haven’t tried it though.

Posts: 27078 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Theraflu was recommended to me. I haven’t tried it though.

Looks to be the exact ingredients as DayQuil

I wonder if they’re all the same stuff

Posts: 34268 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pseudoephedrine. Extra strong menthol cough drops with 15-20mg in them. Drink lots of water.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I use Mucinex or Mucinex D. If I need a cough suppressant, there’s Mucinex DM.
Expensive, yes.
Wife and I tried an alternative guaifenesin that was made by a compounding pharmacist. Made both of us nauseated.

Benadryl dries up your schnozz.
Sudafed helps get rid of the “over pressure water balloon” behind your eyes.
Guaifensin is an expectorant that makes your cough productive.
If you feel the need for acetaminophen, you can get it anywhere.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3803 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Pseudoephedrine. Extra strong menthol cough drops with 15-20mg in them. Drink lots of water.

I thought Pseudoephedrine was taken off the market because of methheads using it to make meth?

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

I thought Pseudoephedrine was taken off the market because of methheads using it to make meth?

It's still available nonprescription. You just have to ask the pharmacist and sign for it. They keep it behind the counter. . Just be careful, if you're have hypertension. Definitely do not take it, if your BP is out of control.

Q

Posts: 27156 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Southern Comfort, Cheyenne pepper, and honey.

Shake well. Drink it until you don’t care any more.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11461 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Sudafed (the real small red 4 hour pill you have to ask the pharmacist for), Robitusin, and Tylenol/Advil.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4243 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

It's still available nonprescription. You just have to ask the pharmacist and sign for it. They keep it behind the counter. . Just be careful, if you're have hypertension. Definitely do not take it, if your BP is out of control.

Hypertension, ah yes.

I got turned onto Coricidin HBP brand a few years ago by Doc.

Coricidin HBP (high blood pressure) makes various meds without anything to raise your Blood Pressure.

I take these now as needed, and if I really need a decongestant I'll add that separately. I buy a seperate bottle of cough med, etc, and add as I need them without resorting to the one-bottle-fits-everyone meds.

Coricidin HBP LINK and click the "Why" Tab.

BTW I was in the drug store 2 days ago picking up a few things and they had a prominent display of Nyquil/Daquil and their own generic equivalent. I noticed they all had 650 MG of Acetaminophen
which seems just too dang high to me. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) you gotta be careful with that. I'm not a Doc or Pharmacist, I just don't see why one should take much Acetaminophen if you really don't need it.

Pretty much every drug store carries Coricidin HBP.

You can certainly talk to the Pharmacist on duty for advice, it's been my experience they've all been happy to talk to me about what I need and want, they've always helped me pick out some OTC meds instead of standing behind the counter. Unless the're super busy of course.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11948 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I also have high blood pressure and the diabetus. Doc recommended Coricidin HBP.

Actually on it now and amox for a sinus infection.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8101 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Here we use generic Sudafed (not Sudafed PE) , Mucinex DM tablets generic version from our grocery store. Mucinex DM comes in different strengths so check the packages. Then for fever/headache generic Tylenol/Tylenol PM. I also use salt solution to flush out my nasals if need be using NeilMed flush bottle and salt.

I use Zinc glycinate, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Magnesium glycinate supplements to hopefully ward off colds or reduce severity and duration. There are different versions of Zinc and Magnesium though. I like these from NOW. NOW lists the "elemental" value on these products so you know how much you are actually getting. The glycinate versions seem to be absorbed much better by most. I take the 15mg version of Zinc Glycinate/Vitamin C daily and the 30mg Zinc Glycinate additionally for a few days if I feel something coming on or am going somewhere where I will be with a lot of people for the day during cold/flu season I take it for that day.

https://www.amazon.com/NeilMed...id=1707571611&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Sup...c%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Supplem...m%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Foo...e%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,

Posts: 9803 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I take zinc to fight colds, but I will take either ‘quil to knock me out. Yep, even DayQuil will put me down along with allergy meds which claim not to cause drowsiness.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1211 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
I use Mucinex or Mucinex D. If I need a cough suppressant, there’s Mucinex DM.
Expensive, yes.

I've used this in the past. The Mucinex D in the orange box.

Posts: 5791 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I’ll be headed to my local CVS for my ration of behind-the-counter-Sudafed it sounds like:

posted Hide Post
I have chronic nasal congestion that really kicks in at night. It causes me to have anxiety not being able to breathe. The pressure builds behind my eyes and causes it to tear up. I generally use the store brand Allegra-D, which helps but takes some time to take effect. Also have tried the nasal mist stuff, which allows me to clear some of the nasal congestion. I believe all of it looses it effect after a while, so I switch to a different product.

Shoot Safe...

Mike

Posts: 7 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Theraflu

Strong Hot Toddy (equal parts bourbon and water, half of those equal parts of lemon juice and honey)

Airborne tablets

0:01

Posts: 4254 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:
Theraflu

Strong Hot Toddy (equal parts bourbon and water, half of those equal parts of lemon juice and honey)

Airborne tablets

This is what I used also. Steam showers also.

I am finally getting over this the local media called it the 100 day cold or cough. Mine lasted from the ninth of December clear up somewhat around Jan 1st then kicked back in again. I finally went to Urgent care. I didn’t want to go but my wife was on me like a chihuahua at my ankles. Because I no longer trust the healthcare system to actually be in my best interest. They prescribed an antibiotic, and a steroid to clear up my nasal crap that was green and effecting my throat. I did not have pneumonia. Today I have not coughed so far I have a some very light drainage. Ha ha my wife just sprayed Lysol in the living room as I type this got to love her!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4878 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The relief doesn't last long, ~3-4 hours, but I like Alka-Seltzer Plus. It comes in the "plop-plop-fizz-fizz" dissolvable tablets or gel tabs. The tablets in water seem to "take hold" a little bit faster. There are different varieties of both depending on symptoms.

Posts: 28335 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cherry coke with Benedrill for the kids.

Posts: 97 | Registered: September 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post