SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DayQuil and NyQuil Alternatives?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DayQuil and NyQuil Alternatives? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Elderberry syrup will prevent and/or shorten the duration of what ails you. It won't do much for your symptoms, however. For that, you'll need liquor, narcotics, and Afrin. Maybe toss in a vitamin or two. Wink

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Was able to get CVS generic Pseudoephedrine based stuff (Sudafed) this morning and it’s quite shocking how well that works compared to that worthless DayQuil garbage. I’m done buying that stuff.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

Strong Hot Toddy (equal parts bourbon and water, half of those equal parts of lemon juice and honey)
It was around 1960, maybe 1961, I was working for a very large company. They had a medical office on site, staffed by full-time nurse(s) and part-time doctor. I had the mother of all colds, really miserable, went to the medical office to see if they might have something for relief.

Nurse told me to go home, have some hot tea with lemon and honey and a generous amount of whiskey.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Was able to get CVS generic Pseudoephedrine based stuff (Sudafed) this morning and it’s quite shocking how well that works compared to that worthless DayQuil garbage. I’m done buying that stuff.

Good for you! Sudafed is the only med that gives me relief for sinus congestion/headaches, the kind that make me feel like my head is going to explode when I bend over, which make want to do nothing but sleep. In defense of Dayquil and the others, they could not be on the sales floor for easy sale if they contained real Sudafed. If one had to go through the same ID check for voting as you do to buy Sudafed, we would have fair elections.

Posts: 9850 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is a reason they keep it behind the counter. It works!

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4253 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevH:
quote:

There is a reason they keep it behind the counter. It works!

That is not the reason they keep it behind the counter. As already pointed out above, meth heads used to buy quantities of Sudafed to cook and make meth.

Q

Posts: 27620 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Pseudoephedrine. Extra strong menthol cough drops with 15-20mg in them. Drink lots of water.

It's still available nonprescription. You just have to ask the pharmacist and sign for it. They keep it behind the counter. . Just be careful, if you're have hypertension. Definitely do not take it, if your BP is out of control.

Hypertension, ah yes.

I got turned onto Coricidin HBP brand a few years ago by Doc.

Coricidin HBP (high blood pressure) makes various meds without anything to raise your Blood Pressure.

I take these now as needed, and if I really need a decongestant I'll add that separately. I buy a seperate bottle of cough med, etc, and add as I need them without resorting to the one-bottle-fits-everyone meds.

Coricidin HBP LINK and click the "Why" Tab.

BTW I was in the drug store 2 days ago picking up a few things and they had a prominent display of Nyquil/Daquil and their own generic equivalent. I noticed they all had 650 MG of Acetaminophen
which seems just too dang high to me. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) you gotta be careful with that. I'm not a Doc or Pharmacist, I just don't see why one should take much Acetaminophen if you really don't need it.

Pretty much every drug store carries Coricidin HBP.

You can certainly talk to the Pharmacist on duty for advice, it's been my experience they've all been happy to talk to me about what I need and want, they've always helped me pick out some OTC meds instead of standing behind the counter. Unless the're super busy of course.

Best wishes to you.

650mg acetaminophen is the equal of two regular strength Tylenol tablets not a large dose at all.
When I counsel patients about use of acetaminophen AKA Tylenol, the maximal daily dose is 4 grams, so you could safely take 6 doses at the 650mg level and be well within safe guidelines.

There are a couple trains of thought:
Combo medications are not only convenient but at times have a synergistic effect, meaning they work more effectively when taken together than separately
On the other hand only taking the items you need without extras to minimize side effects or potential interaction with other medications you might take has merit too.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Thanks for the info. That's good to know. ^^^^^

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
To add to the Tylenol/Acetaminophen dosage limit....

I have a bottle of Walgreens Extra Strength (500mg) Acetaminophen. The dosage for adults is 2 caplets (1,000mg) every 6 hours, not to exceed 6 caplets in a 24-hour period. So according to this, you can take 3,000mg of Acetaminophen in a 24-hour period with no ill side effects. If you wanted to space it out more evenly, take 2 caplets every 8 hours for continual dosage.

Opinions may vary and YMMV......

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I went through a few Tylenol PM (diphenhydramine) for a 2-3 day bought. Sleep alway kinda sucks when that sick though. I keep a few Thetaflu packets cause it helps and I like the delivery. And for cough, which sucks, an ancient bottle of generic cold and flu relief syrup (Dextromethorphan HBr). I find it best to nip it in the bud if I feel it coming on. Vit-D, zinc, magnesium, upping fluids and electrolytes.

Posts: 3601 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhhh! The hot toddy. My mother used to spike my lemon honey tea with some bourbon when I had a cold. Thanks mom. Smile

Posts: 1178 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks everyone. I’ll be headed to my local CVS for my ration of behind-the-counter-Sudafed it sounds like:

Get the largest count available. A few years ago I had a pretty bad cold. Over the weekend I bought a 10 pill count. When I went to work on Monday I forgot to bring some tablets with me.
I figure I'll just stop at the local drug store and pick up some more. NOPE, no soup for you. Unable to get anymore for a month. Drive home was miserable. So if your cold last you may not be able to get more.

Posts: 1085 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post