SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you're a YES/Rick Wakeman fan, proceed in...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're a YES/Rick Wakeman fan, proceed in... Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted
https://www.vanityfair.com/sty...ck-icon-rick-wakeman

Good article. Didn't realize the struggles Wakeman endured and overcame, both physically and financially.

Just brings back memories of growing up listening to YES and especially the works of Wakeman. "King Arthur..." is one of my favorites, as I was not only studying classical piano, but also a Baritone in choir when it was released. I only caught a glimpse of playing and singing to that album...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, just happening to be listening to my collection now (well it is cued up in the car, anyway).
Saw then live in and around 1980. Cool

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out. Long time Yes fan...in fact, first concert in 1974....Relayer tour. I always thought the Close to the Edge line up was the best.

I did an album review for my high school newspaper on Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
The solo he did during the ABWH show (first of two I saw IIRC) was one of the greatest things I've ever seen performed. Simply awesome.

Thanks for the read. Lifelong Yes fan, never knew of his problems.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the article, erj_pilot. I saw Rick with Yes several times in the 70s and his solo tour in 1976. I loved prog rock from that era and Rick was a great musician.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I was a late blooming Yes fan, probably first saw them around 1993, when Tony Kaye was back with them. I saw Rick play with Trevor Rabin and Job Anderson in Phoenix a few years ago, which was so awesome. I ran into Chris Squire at the Rainbow in LA about 12 yrs ago. Peter Criss took a photo of us together. I have met a lot of rock stars, but was never so star struck as in that encounter.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
"One take Wakeman' has always been good.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it for us. I had no idea he'd lost everything at such a huge time in his life.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
“Yes” was my very first rock concert experience… but Wakeman wasn’t in the band at the time.

I remember a three-headed monster was suspended above the band… and they had these really cool lights called “lasers” that projected through the marijuana haze of the Fort Wayne (IN) Coliseum. Maybe 1977?

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the article. I saw them (English Rock Ensemble) on the Journey to the Center of the Earth tour, 10/9/75 in New Haven, CT.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
First LP I ever bought:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw him with "Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe" in 1989. And then again a couple years later during the Yes "Union" tour which briefly brought the old and new Yes lineups together. His solo bit is always fun to watch.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting the article.

In high school (mid to late 70’s), my good friend Greg Di Benedetto who lived three or four houses up the street started a band that covered Yes and Led Zeppelin almost exclusively.

I became a huge Yes fan (and Zep) as a result of attending many of the band’s garage practices and concerts.

I had the good fortune of seeing Yes play at MSG, in Glenns Falls and Montreal.

Greg went on to become the publisher of Guitar World for almost 30 years and then started his own magazine, Guitar Aficionado.

Posts: 3480 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
First LP I ever bought:

One of my favorite Yes albums, but Wakeman was not a member yet, Tony Kaye was the piano/keyboardist on this one. My other favorites, Fragile and Close To The Edge, had Wakeman onboard, the latter album Bill Bruford's last with Yes. But an amazing band; Bruford, Howe, Squire, and Wakeman, all among the best, individual virtuosos on their respective instruments, and together a hell of a band. The only thing I have from Wakeman is his Six Wives of Henry VIII CD, but haven't played it in years.

The Vanity Fair article was an interesting read, thanks.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
A Yes fan since my early teens, starting with Close to the Edge.
Saw them live several times, first and most memorable was the Going for the One Tour in Antwerpen, Belgium. That was the best, the worst was Drama Tour when the Buggles joined the band. Anderson always sang. White at the drums and Howe at the guitar, others came and went. Might have seen Brufford but not 100% sure.

Also a big fan of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Yes and particularly G4T1 is great for skiing.

Recently discovered Yes Progeny and about to test how hardcore fan i still am. It’s a box set composed of recordings of a Yes tour in the mid 70’s Big Grin

Yes is ever present in any music library i make. Wuite enjoyed The Ladder, from the most recent years.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes Progeny

That sounds interesting!

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting documentary/history of YES.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you started pigeon holeing
R&R bands ,

Would there be anyone else in that particular category?

If you had a category in your computer juke box titled
Bands like Yes.

Are there any?

Maybe that's why I like them so much.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post