SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59)
Page 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... 161
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I also went to the ER recently and... (Bad News Bears pages 4, 37) (Bad Ass Family Photo page 49) (CT Scan Update page 59) Login/Join 
Picture of robbiedog
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lbj:
I was thinking about my daughters today and wondered if I had had biological children in my life prior to them coming into my life, would I love them the same way I do now.

Obviously this means the "step" thing.

My fear is that I might look at them and or love differently in a mix of biologic and step kids.

The way my life worked out, I am sans any biologic children that I know about and therefore, the step part is out of the equation with regards to my daughters.

Such is a blessing.

As the father of one of each, I can give my perspective. The daughter I've known since she was half a second old is a different bond. I understand her better than my other daughter, who I first met when she was 10, and her mom and I married when she was 12. The "unconditional love" that a parent should feel for a child is present in daughter #1. There's nothing she could ever do that would turn me away. Happily, daughter #2 is normally a really good person, and it's easy to love and care for her. But there isn't quite as strong an "unconditional love" bond there.

Note that I believe that this unconditional love only works top to bottom. A parent feels it for a child, it doesn't necessarily work the other way. I imagine I could piss off either of my kids enough, and be enough of a bad parent, that they would turn away from me, but I could never turn away from them. It's a difficult situation with steps. Perhaps if I'd met daughter #2's when she was a baby it would be different? I don't know, but I'm happy the way things are. It's an interesting topic....

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Tabitha's son says I am a better father to him than his real one ever was.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
LBJ, you do a great job of putting what you are going through into real words and feelings.

Almost like we are on the journey with you.

Stay strong.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Though a believer my entire life, I seemed to have left God out of most of it.
Yes I prayed, and oft time the answer was no.

Then the next crisis would hit years later and again it was back to God.
The answer was no of course.

That said, I never seem to have lost faith itself in that I always went back over and over again with each major crisis.
I kept going back to well as it were, no matter what.

The decades go by and a little over 3 years ago, I was diagnosed terminal. The same holds true today.

We all know just by being a good person, that won't get any of us an afterlife with The Lord.

When I think about my life, I thought that being a good person gave me a sense of satisfaction, in my own heart of hearts.

Yeah, I had a lot of stumbles, broke a Commandment or two, but generally speaking I was a good person and I was happy with that for it's own sake, for my own ideas about who I was and what I did.

That is not to say I didn't have faith all those years because I did.
I am talking humanistic earthly things here and being a good person has value just for my own piece of mind, self satisfaction, because we know that being a good person is not a ticket to Heaven.
I won't be rewarded by being a good person, that's expected I think because it kind of honors the fact I even have a life. Honor your life. It's the right thing to do.

I have to say though, at this point in my life and living well past my expiration date, being a good person just simply isn't enough to make me feel whole in my own mind and heart.
It's simply not enough.

There has to be more to my life.

Now I am speaking of the spirit, of Apostolic Christian things.

I missed out on this part for so long.
I am glad I am basically a good person, thought I would be satisfied with that.
Wrong.

Now I have a lot more in my life... Jesus Christ.

I guess most of us think of ourselves as a good person, right?
Now I see there is more to life than I ever thought, way more.
Which means I want more of Him and less of me in everything I do and think about.

Well, that was tonight's revelation.
I did my best to describe my feelings here, but my words seem to have fallen woefully short.
Make of it what you will.

In any and all cases:

Praise God!

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31426 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Psalm 54:4 Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
Praise Him.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I got home from church an hour ago and and a new revelation was given to me just now.

After this revelation, I found myself praying and thanking the Lord for the terminal disease I have because without it, I would never have come to know Him as I do.

It may seem odd to some, but what I just experienced is truly amazing.

Praise God!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I got home from church an hour ago and and a new revelation was given to me just now.

After this revelation, I found myself praying and thanking the Lord for the terminal disease I have because without it, I would never have come to know Him as I do.

It may seem odd to some, but what I just experienced is truly amazing.

Praise God!

That is simultaneously beautiful and profound and unfathomable and daunting. Very real; thank you.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I seem to be tired a lot these days.
I am almost 64 and all.

Come to think of it, I was born tired.
I'm told I slept a lot right after my birth.

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I am still learning the drone thing. I have a ways to go.
Here is a not great but OK photo I took this morning.
I haven't done any processing other than a resize.

I had to put this up so everyone would feel sorry for me.

Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Back in HI again, eh?!? Cool photo! What drone did you go with?

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Magnum P.I.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Tom's got a long mustache?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43903 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I brought the Mavic Pro.
There sure is a lot to learn on the app.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Mauna Kea Beach Hotel?

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can’t speak for anyone else, however ‘sorry’ isn’t what is going through my head upon viewing that photo.

Enjoy Hawaii.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
You never fail to inspire and offer profound perspective lbj. God is sharing through you some amazing and powerful things with all of us.

That is a great aerial shot too. Smile

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Indeed, what a journey it is. These days faith is my fuel, and one of discovery. Never in my life has my faith been as strong. Thank you for your thoughts, my love for Christ has grown exponentially, and more so as time moves forward.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I am still learning the drone thing. I have a ways to go.
Here is a not great but OK photo I took this morning.
I haven't done any processing other than a resize.

Ah yes, back at the Mauna Kea I see. One of the best places in the country. Enjoy!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Nice Ariel Photo Smile

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post