SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Today's "yikes moment" comes from next door.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's "yikes moment" comes from next door. Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
My next door neighbors, um, "ain't from around here." I've talked to them just a little... friendly, polite people. English is not their first language, I think, and one claims to not speak any English. Perfectly well he said, "I don't speak any English." Okay, then. Wink

It's been raining off-and-on here since about last Wednesday. The grass and fallen leaves are straight-up wet.

A moment ago I heard a mower start up. I looked out the window and saw... it's the neighbor lady. Wearing a dress and sandals.

Sent up a quick "bottle rocket prayer," as our pastor calls them. You know, those that you issue quickly, the instant you need something? "Lord, please keep her safe over there."

Part of me wants to go interrupt and mow it for her. Part of me says it's not my business, and remembers they've been a little reluctant to accept help in the past.

Yikes.

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A saying involving duct tape comes to mind right now.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Man. I guess the neighborly thing to do is keep an eye out and if you see arterial spray and airborne toes, call the “they’re not from around here” wagon.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8397 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzrXPjwBOc

^^^^
Sorry, downtownv, my neighbor doesn't look a bit like Brie Larson (the girl in the video). Dangit. Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
It's been raining off-and-on here since about last Wednesday. The grass and fallen leaves are straight-up wet.

I worked 14 yrs. in lawn care and I was always astounded by the number of people who wanted their lawn mowed when it was wet.
I would show up the same time, same day, every week and they would have their sprinklers going before we got there. The best ones were when the soil was mostly clay. And yes, multiple requests to alter their sprinkler schedule were made.
It wasn't my company or I would have left the clumps of grass where they lay rather than waste the time to break them up w/ blower or multiple cuttings.
Some people are dense.

Posts: 7375 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzrXPjwBOc

^^^^
Sorry, downtownv, my neighbor doesn't look a bit like Brie Larson (the girl in the video). Dangit. Razz

Oh, I'm sure she doesn't or you'd be cutting the lawn for her!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8397 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You know it, mister! Big Grin

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
How did it end??

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Seems to be successful and injury-free. The front yard is mowed, and I didn't see any ambulance arrivals last night.

(Whew.)

God bless America.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That's the same way I cut the lawn. Cuts down on the complaints if I don't do it for months at a tine.

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
On a different note, it seems today is car washing day over there, to include cleaning the floor mats.

How do you get the bits-and-pieces out of your floor mats? You beat them like rugs! In this case, however, the mats are being beat up against the side of the car.

Eek

Good grief, I'm becoming Gladys Kravitz.

God bless America.

posted Hide Post
I grew up in an etnic neighborhood in Chicago. Think rag man and horse drawn vegetable wagon.

The behavior you describe sounds strangely famiiar. They speak to one another in a foreign language and refuse to speak English unless absolutely necessary. Do they carry their garbage to the dump to save on garbage pickup???

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do you get the bits-and-pieces out of your floor mats? You beat them like rugs! In this case, however, the mats are being beat up against the side of the car.

Eek

Reminds me of this Eastern European guy at work. Hard worker. Won quarterly and annual employee awards and all. He finally did well enough to buy himself a shiny new car.

Black, naturally Smile (You can take the Eastern European out of Eastern Europe, but...)

So one day, after it'd rained, I was walking back inside and there he was squeegeeing the water off his car

I tried to tell him "You don't want to do that. You'll destroy the finish." He just kind of looked at me.

Two-three years later the car looked like it'd been painted flat black.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post