SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States
Page 1 ... 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 ... 352
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The riots in America and the attempted overthrow of the United States Login/Join 
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Back when I was a Firefighter I was tossed across an ER room by a 5'6" 120lb guy high on PCP. I was 6'4 and 190lbs and in full turnout gear at the time, I hit the wall upside down about half way up (yes it hurt).

He also tossed my partner (5'11 & 175), and several ER staff and security people about the same size around with ease. He was a biter too. It took 4 additional officers of equal size to get this guy under control. I'd say close to a dozen of us total.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of the most drawn-out scuffles I've had was against a teenage girl. She was giving it flat-out 100%, due to a combination of adrenaline, rage, and mental illness. Full-on cornered feral animal mode.

As the saying goes, she "came at me like a spider monkey". Big Grin

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
One of the most drawn-out scuffles I've had was against a teenage girl. She was giving it flat-out 100%, due to a combination of adrenaline, rage, and mental illness. Full-on feral animal

Mine too. Broad daylight in a K Mart parking lot. While she was fighting two of us, she still almost got my gun out of the holster. It took 8 officers to get her in the car.

Give me a 220 pound tweaker any day.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
And lastly, these cops appear to be nothing more than gang members with badges.
That was my impression as well.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
But it doesn’t end like this.

I may not understand how everything law enforcement works, but everyone who sees this knows something went horribly wrong at best. At worst it was a bunch of people taking out their anger on some guy because they could. In the middle, they just really suck at their job.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
But it doesn’t end like this.

I may not understand how everything law enforcement works, but everyone who sees this knows something went horribly wrong at best. At worst it was a bunch of people taking out their anger on some guy because they could. In the middle, they just really suck at their job.

There’s enough anger to go around.

Which is why I limit my commentary to technical stuff. What the law actually is, fighting with small framed offenders, etc.

Enough people will give commentary, I’ll stick to technical stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's why I was giving my average Joe impression of it. It raises red flags for the most pro law enforcement among us. Knowing slightly more than your normal citizen about subduing someone, it seems off. I think it might be a perfect opportunity for a BJJ choke to settle him down for 30 second, but that's probably against policies.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Chokes of all types (even the ones that aren’t and never were chokes) are prohibited in most places.

www.opspectraining.com

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I just watched the pole cam video. Initially it looked like a pretty standard take down. No audio and there is no background as to why he was being stopped, how long it took him to stop, etc.

At 20:34:10 it looked like they had him pretty well under control. He was down two officers on him, not struggling a lot. A few more hands to get him in cuffs and that would have been over.

20:34:14 & :27 an officer decides he needs a few good kicks in the head. I see absolutely no reason for this.

20:35:00 a third officer arrives as they start to sit him up and deploys an extendable baton, then takes a few axe swings at Tyre's head with it. I can't even begin to imagine how this could be justified.

From body cam footage this seems to be the officer that pepper sprayed him. In doing so it appears he managed to get himself. They way he is walking around, resting on the patrol car, seen that before. He is the one that walks back up and deploys the baton and lets Tyre have it to the head. His body cam also shows the officer land the haymakers (next time stamp)

20:35:16, while they have him standing, an officer delivers two haymakers. They're holding him and this officer hauls off and lets him have it a few times?!?

I don't have a lot of sympathy for people that resist the police, but these officers are just beating Tyre at this point. I don't blame him for trying to defend himself against kicks and baton strikes to the head then haymakers.

20:35:24, while they're still holding him while standing, an officer delivers two gut punches, then a short time later another haymaker.

At this point in the video my opinion has solidly shifted from an aggressive take down to this looks like a beating to teach this guy a lesson. This looks like the thing you'd expect a gang to do to a snitch, not officers to a suspect they are trying to get into custody.

IMHO, these aren't cops. These are thugs wearing badges. They had plenty of opportunity to get him under control. His arms were pinned to his sides while he was standing and getting punched.

By 20:35:44 they have him down again, appears prone, hard to see what they're doing. He should be in custody by now.

20:36:22 More officers arrive and one delivers a few good kicks to his head. Seriously, who is training these guys.

20:37:10 he appears to be in custody finally. At this point rescue should be in route as he has to be injured. For the next minute his body language tells me he is hurt, and hurt pretty bad. Then the drag him over to a patrol car and you see one officer liming around. Those kicks hurt don't they?

20:40:10 an officer shines a light in his face, body language indicates to me the officer is evaluating him and injuries. Officer field goal keeps limping around.

20:41:20 Rescue appears to arrive and starts treatment on scene. It's really hard to see what is happening but it looks like he isn't transported until after 21:00hrs

Again, I don't know what led up to this stop, but I can't see how kicks, baton strikes, punches to the head, then the gut are good punch to the gut of a restrained suspect are good procedure.

FWIW I've been dragged into take downs on some pretty aggressive and BIG or drug fueled people over the years and with that number of guys that size, were able to get them under control without having to admit them to ER before jail. That is background that I view this video from.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I work for a LEA and I’ve seen worse dealt with less. This just screams incompetence to me. Talking to all my LEO partners and having discussions, I’m coming away as this is probably the least defensible encounter I’ve seen. I even had my LEO partners questioning their stance on the George Floyd situation. This is just straight up stupidity (ie lack of training…) IMO there is zero reason he should have been able to escape the ground from 4 officers in the first place.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the law enforcement perspective, guys. It's been a long day, I'm going to bed. We'll see tomorrow morning what the anarchists managed to destroy. The professional agitators don't care a thing about the death of Tyre Nichols. They look for any excuse to continue their efforts to degrade our society. The character of every last one of these black-clad anarchists would be improved by bullet holes. I think there's no way to avoid a future clash with this garbage. It's not going to be anytime soon, but it's damn well coming.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
It’s after midnight and I’m just getting home. I work day shift hours. Memphis was peaceful. One group shut down the i55 Bridge and then dispersed. No reports of any protests that grew violent. No reports of property damage. I complain, but there are times I really do love this city. There is a lot of hurt, and a lot of anger, and things won’t go back to normal quickly, but most of the people here are good people.

I had to stop at the store today to pick up some things for the office just in case I got stuck there. For the first time in 25 years I was uncomfortable in public in my work clothes.

To my surprise, I had people come up to me, from all walks of life and ask me if I was doing ok and to be careful tonight. I needed that. Memphis has its problems, but I love this city.

So, now that it’s public, I can speak a bit more about it, again purely in my private capacity. That was by far the most appalling video I’ve ever seen. I spent years as a crime scene investigator and later several years working child exploitation cases. I thought there was nothing left I could see that would hurt. I was wrong.

What I saw were people wearing the uniform committing a straight up beat down. I saw nothing that warranted any of that. Even if the stop was legit, it’s a traffic stop. That’s all. He resists, but he never throws a strike at any officer. He never makes a threat.

What they should have done is get him on the ground, use leverage to control his arms and get him cuffed. These weren’t small men, and there were plenty of them. If that didn’t work they move up the force continuum to other means. MAYBE strikes to the arms or legs to gain compliance.

Kicks to the head on a prone suspect are never approved . Baton strikes to the head are lethal force. There is no excuse to throw repeated punches to the head of a man being held up by two other men. That’s the image that sticks in my head. You see his head snap back with each of those shots.

For a traffic stop.

I’ll defend police all day when they use violence if violence is necessary. Force, no matter how justified and necessary is never pretty. It’s never a thing to be happy about. There are a lot of cases where the public doesn’t understand what they are seeing or view it through their own perceptions that distort it. This was NOT one of those situations. This was a criminal act.

What I can’t wrap my head around is how these men, wearing cameras, thought this would be okay. I have a theory that it is a combination of a pack mentality with young aggressive officers in an aggressive unit with a loose grasp of reality versus things like Training Day or The Shield, and the fact that many of this new generation have never been in a real fight before they got in the job. They aren’t prepared for the emotional impact of the adrenaline dump. They aren’t ready for ego to get involved. They don’t recognize when they or their partner are getting out of control and need to be reigned in.

Channeling aggression into a violent confrontation is a natural act. Turning that off is a trained response. I’m trying to come up with a way to train that response that doesn’t involve some poor bastard in a Red Man suit getting his ass kicked for hours a day. We’ve got to do something though.

None of that excuses what they did. They are grown men. They made their choices. They had every opportunity to stop. They made no effort to deescalate. No one made any effort to stop it. They are all responsible.

Every recruit from now until the end of time should be required to watch that video and see the consequences. Every officer should be required to view it once. That can never happen again. Ever. Anywhere.

I’ve got to get some sleep and go back in at 7. I’m not looking forward to my dreams or the next few days at work. I’m not worried about Memphians. The Nichols family has shown nothing but grace. The City has been open, transparent, and quick to fire and charge the people responsible. I’m worried about agitators coming in to try to co opt a totally legitimate protest to their own violent ends.

Pray for Memphis. I love this city. It needs healing.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I watched the video when I got home from work tonight.

It honestly made me sick. These aholes aren't cops. These are street thugs that somehow snuck into a uniform.

I don't think you are going to find a real cop on here (or anywhere) that is going to try to defend or make excuses for with these asshats did.

These guys acted just like the folk we try to lock up everyday.

This comes down to poor (or woke) hiring practices and shitty (or nonexistent) supervision.

...and as a result all of us are going to suffer.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4198 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Maybe when you defund the police, you get discount cops.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
One of the most drawn-out scuffles I've had was against a teenage girl. She was giving it flat-out 100%, due to a combination of adrenaline, rage, and mental illness. Full-on feral animal

Mine too. Broad daylight in a K Mart parking lot. While she was fighting two of us, she still almost got my gun out of the holster. It took 8 officers to get her in the car.

Give me a 220 pound tweaker any day.

Same. Ropey little women can be a hell of a fight. Some of it is that we aren't aggressive enough quickly enough, but a lot of it is that their joints just don't work like a bigger person's and a lot of the things you would do to control them don't work.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopping when told, saying yes sir or yes ma’am works pretty good for me.

These bums are thugs not police.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They seemed really comfortable giving him that beatdown which tells me this is not the first time they have used excessive force. I am sure more incidents will come to light after a thorough investigation.

This not just an officer losing his temper and delivering an unjustified blow or two.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
And people wonder they there are loonie leftists trying to stop Cop City here.

No one is rioting over the shooting of the man in the trailer though.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39753 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
When I was 12, I was on the receiving end of a beating like that simply because of the color of my skin. It was four on one, and they beat me so badly I was out of school for two weeks. It happened one block away from the school, as I stood my post as a safety patrol. Because no one witnessed it who was willing to say what happened, and it was off school grounds, those four fucks got away with it.

This was after several weeks of these fucks beating me up to an extent I sported bruises all over my body. All at school, and all witnessed by teachers. Back then they considered 4v1 a “school boy fight.”

I learned the hard way an axiom from Trevanian regarding introducing a length of pipe to the next altercation. I damned near went to reform school over that. It was when I began going everywhere armed with at least a pocket knife.

The beatings stopped, as swiftly as they began.

My heart aches for Mr. Nichols. Unless you’ve been there, you have no idea how terrifying an unwarranted beating that savage is like, especially if you have no understanding of why it’s happening.

I can only hope the two deputies who didn’t intervene rat these fucks out in exchange for just loosing their careers. As for all directly involved, including their command staff, they should be fired and prosecuted when (not if, when because that wasn’t their first rodeo) more behavior like that comes out, and mark my words, every complaint involving that department just got reopened.

I’ll say a prayer for his soul. And pray that God bring righteous wrath down on Demetrius Haley, Tadarrius Bean, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills and Justin Smith.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the most drawn-out scuffles I've had was against a teenage girl. She was giving it flat-out 100%, due to a combination of adrenaline, rage, and mental illness. Full-on cornered feral animal mode.

As the saying goes, she "came at me like a spider monkey". Big Grin

I teach in a high school and the worst fight I had to break up was between two 100lb girls. It took me, the SRO and a principal to get her in handcuffs.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post