SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Safe Purchase Need Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safe Purchase Need Advice Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I've been putting off getting a quality safe for years. I'm looking at this one. It has the storage I need, 12GA steel and solid fire proof time. Do you guys have a better suggestion in this price range?

https://rhinosafe.com/kodiak-s...ong-gun-safe-60-min/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7056 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get that electronic keypad lock if I were you, I'd get a mechanical.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
solid fire/water proof

Fire protection, yes. But, waterproof? Don't think so.

Q

Posts: 26199 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Does it matter to you if the safe is made in USA or not? I believe Rhino is but not their Kodiak line.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
solid fire/water proof

Fire protection, yes. But, waterproof? Don't think so.

Correct, brain fart.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7056 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Does it matter to you if the safe is made in USA or not? I believe Rhino is but not their Kodiak line.

I would love made in the USA but I'm not going to pay triple the price. There's a limit for me.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I wouldn't get that electronic keypad lock if I were you, I'd get a mechanical.

^^^^
This. The electronic ones are more susceptible to failure.

Posts: 12433 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really have any input on that particular safe, all I can add is to get the largest safe you can afford (that meats your requirements). They have a way of filling up fast.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I’d also divide stated long gun capacity by 2.5 for “real” capacity.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I have a Zanotti ZA2 on sale in the classifieds. Big Grin

It's made in Iowa.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a Zanotti safe, I like it. I’m not sure how the size, pricing, & shipping/moving it square with you, maybe an option. I’m referring to the one mentioned in the classifieds.

Many mention sizing, getting a big one. I ended up with two, 500lb safes. Once full, in a basement, kinda hard to move. I do prefer dial locks.

On ‘fire-proofing’ any enclosed safe will provide some. In many locations the fire will be fought before the home burns to the foundation. The sooty acidic water, ash & such is more likely.

Yes, these safes can be broken into, they are mostly to prevent unauthorized access to what’s inside.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I used to read the safe threads. I still do on occasion, like this one. I solved the safe problem differently. We. built a new home. So I called a buddy with the good news, and that I was even having a 10x10 safe in the basement. His response was "why so tiny?" As always, he was right.

So I just doubled it to 10x20. Barely big enough now. But only because I'm selling off big chunks of my tiny gun collection. The building supervisor did me a favor. He doubled the number of steel reinforcing rods. Safe doors are cheap once you get to multiple safes.

Never doubt someone could get into it. But they'd have to work at it. It's what I'd suggest. One ot the problems we run into is all kinds of other crap (to put it mildly) ends up in your safe. Having 200 sq ft of space is nice. Even one of my wife's silver sets can rest in it. OK, two of them. Seen the price of silver lately?

I've taken up way too much space with office desks. Lost one wall with .50 cal cans. Not a problem. But I'd still suggest you not be generous and offer to store crap inside. I do store some of my booze collection inside. Have you priced A H Hirsch lately? Just don't let others know the combination, or get a change key and do it yourself. That goes for the tiny commercial safes like the 500# ones mentioned above.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ll certainly agree that a mechanical lock is more reliable, but it can be a real pita depending on how many times a day you’re in and out of the safe. Personally I have an S&G keypad on my Fort Knox safe, never have had an issue.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6994 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I’m in the market for a new safe too — this one looks pretty solid. Free shipping too.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post