SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Caught on camera: Houston worker survives flying out of construction bucket hit by truck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caught on camera: Houston worker survives flying out of construction bucket hit by truck Login/Join 
posted
Incredible dash cam video.

HOUSTON (KTRK/CNN) - A utility worker managed to walk away from a scary-looking accident, during which he went flying after a box truck hit the bucket he was in as he worked on a Houston traffic signal.

Witness Andrew Wolf, a professional photographer, had his dashcam recording as he drove along a busy highway at 50 miles per hour on Feb. 25. A box truck was in the lane to Wolf’s left.

As the vehicles went under a traffic light, the truck hit a worker, who was hoisted up in a bucket attempting to work on the traffic signal. Wolf caught the entire thing on video.

The impact sent the man flying upside down, and Wolf says he dangled there “upside down and sideways” in his safety harness for about 30 seconds. He says a bus barely missed the worker.

The worker is now reportedly in stable condition, but the impact sent him flying. He dangled there “upside down and sideways” in his safety harness for about 30 seconds, according to a witness. (Source: Andrew Wolf/KTRK/CNN)
The worker is now reportedly in stable condition, but the impact sent him flying. He dangled there “upside down and sideways” in his safety harness for about 30 seconds, according to a witness. (Source: Andrew Wolf/KTRK/CNN)
“This is probably the most epic and horrific thing that I’ve seen,” Wolf said.

Finally, the man’s coworkers lowered him down.

The driver of the truck that hit the worker stopped, and Wolf called 911. The worker appeared to be in shock but OK.

"You can see they ignored some safety rules. They didn’t have the road blocked off. The truck wasn't protecting anybody. But they were smart enough to put on a belt and a helmet, and that's definitely what saved his life," Wolf said.

The worker is now reportedly in stable condition.

"He used up all of his luck that day, but it was just amazing that he literally walked away from that impact,” Wolf said.

LINK: http://www.wlox.com/2019/03/07...bucket-hit-by-truck/

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Supervisors not supervisin' are Supervisors no longer.

OSHA be gearing up for some fun. Lawyer's are shoppin' fo' new Porsches.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Very lucky day for the worker, not so lucky for the company when OSHA sees that video

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
One lucky worker.

Not an expert in that kind of work and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night but someone forgot some safety procedures there.

The worker may need some new pants.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
He should buy a lottery ticket.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
probably not on his bucket list said the eyewitness. Big Grin

Posts: 5606 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek Saw that on Fox News earlier, but didn't realize it was here in Houston.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The title of the thread made me think the worker got ejected from the bucket, then hit by a truck. Eek

Glad to hear he survived. Big Grin

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!

That was simply amazing.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36845 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone explain why that lane was open? Anytime Ive driven through a zone with overhead work, the lane below the work is closed.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Can anyone explain why that lane was open? Anytime Ive driven through a zone with overhead work, the lane below the work is closed.
Because Houston is like the capital city of a 3rd world country. Traffic control for construction, road signage, etc is absolute shit. Even worse, if you see something egregious you get passed around from dept to dept endlessly. Nobody gets fined unless OSHA shows up. I can’t believe Houston passes up this revenue source (ie fining contracors who do shit construction traffic control).

For example, the first time I lived in Houston they were slip lining sewers in The Heights. They opened a 1’ wide x 6’ deep ditch down the midfle of my street and made a 90 degrees turn onto a busy street. Zero orange cones and only traffic sign was coming from the east on main road and it was 1 non-flashing sign 10’ from the ditch. Zero signs from the west, north or south. Zero personnel performing traffic control. I went out and spoke with the foreman who was such a belligerent asshole that I called the city. Got passed around from dept to dept all afternoon until every slacker dept was closed. On top of that, it leaked and we had raw sewage running along the curb and no one at the city would do anything until I fibbed about seeing children playing in it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23319 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because Houston is like the capital city of a 3rd world country

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was funny. Kind of like Lagos.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! That looked like it hurt. Probably hard for that truck driver to even see it coming. Not something you look for at every intersection.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I like where the reporter says "The crew stopped working on the traffic light." I'll bet they did!

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post