SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon Whale v TNT, 50 years later
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon Whale v TNT, 50 years later Login/Join 
Picture of robbiedog
posted
Mr. LBJ wrote a post about this a year or so ago, I saw the WaPo wrote a story on it. Hope this isn't behind a paywall.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com...plosion-anniversary/

Posts: 136 | Location: East Texas | Registered: December 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I remember this when it actually happened.
Guess it shows my age.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31432 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Darn lucky they didn't kill someone with that stunt.

Didn't a couple of cars get smashed?

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Top. Men.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:

Whoever thought that stunt up should have gotten a cetacean for public endangerment.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

Whoever thought that stunt up should have gotten a cetacean for public endangerment.

What you did there, I see it Big Grin

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Nice play in words. I saw the video. Looked like a Monty Python skit or something from Home Improvement

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KTQtIBsum4

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I remember this when it actually happened.
Guess it shows my age.

I also remember it! Talk about dumb!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Use enough dynamite there Butch?

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11784 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

People were blubbering about baleen whale guts from their cars, so I’m surprised they didn’t.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I wonder what happened to the people in charge.

I'm no expert in explosives but I can't believe they didn't pile and in a big been behind the whale to direct the force out to sea rather than up.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Sorry they should have got Sgt. Miller:

Posts: 3955 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
When that was posted a year ago I thought a member said the sedan belonged to his FIL and was only a few days old.

Insurance covered it without question, the replacement was identical, and the member got to drive it, IIRC.

Posts: 4086 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A classic. I remember that was one of the first things I ever searched up on the internet, when a friend told me about it. The internet was new back then and I was astonished that I could find it.

Posts: 632 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:

Insurance covered it without question, the replacement was identical, and the member got to drive it, IIRC.

Well, that was a fluke.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Tonya Harding was born on the exact same day as the Whale event.

Just sayin'

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
They just needed more dynamite.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post