SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Someone stopped our mail
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Someone stopped our mail Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
We hadn't received any mail since last week Tuesday, no junk mail, nothing. After living several years in a house, you get on enough mailing lists that "something" comes every day. I just figured a postal carrier was just trashing mail since they were too busy delivering Amazon packages at 8pm and wanted to go home. Yesterday I got some mail, so I thought it was a fluke. Then I realized it was our neighbor's mail, and they didn't have our mail. I went to the post office today and after being asked several times if we just moved or if I put a hold or forward on our ail, was told someone but a "block" on our mail, as if the house was vacant. They weren't even attempting delivery. The postal worker removed the block and gave me today's mail. I feel kinda like Will Smith from "Enemy of the State." First rogue deer now this.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The post office is required to check ID to stop your mail. Talk to the postal inspector.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel kinda like Will Smith from "Enemy of the State." First rogue deer now this.

What out for these.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
The post office is required to check ID to stop your mail. Talk to the postal inspector.

Yeah, but they don’t! I’ve had the same thing happen. When I asked who/how/why, the postmaster couldn’t answer those questions. Turned out it was a son who was just trying to get his mail changed to his new address.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't believe there is any security to hold mail online. Just name, address, phone, email, etc...

Someone could go online with your info, hold it up til a certain date, then collect it all immediately after delivery.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was dropping off some packages to ship. The guy behind the counter didn't even ask for MY ID, he just asked if it was the same address as the return label and then gave me today's mail. Mail wasn't being held, it was being returned. I polished up the stainless steel colander and have been wearing it on my head ever since lest the chemtrails invade my precious bodily fluids.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hold my mail several times a year. They ask for ID about 1 in 10 times.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sign up for “Informed Delivery”. You’ll see what will, hopefully, arrive in your box each day.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4232 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Sign up for “Informed Delivery”. You’ll see what will, hopefully, arrive in your box each day.

I did this week. It showed nothing coming all last week and this week except for a cell phone case inbound via UPS's cheapo deal with USPS, so I thought everything was normal until I asked at the post office on a whim. Its a clear sign this conspiracy goes all the way to the top - Newman. I think John Voight planted bugs in our Suburban's headliner as well.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
We had this happen the Summer before last. The fools were directing our mail to an address across town. At that time, they simply went online for a change of address. The post office claimed there were protections in place to keep that from happening. If so, didn't work.

We lost a few days of mail. The "postal police" gave us a case number. A couple weeks later we got all that mail back in one delivery. I talked to the "postal police", they had no specifics for us, playing things close to the vest for whatever reason.

Since then, the PO says protection is better. Starting..now!

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8349 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2270 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I thought to stop mail on line (versus filling out the little yellow card), you had to provide a credit card that was billed at the same address. It charges $1 which is then refunded

I've never been asked for ID and I have my mail held for several weeks at a time a half dozen times a year when I travel

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53195 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I hold my mail several times a year. They ask for ID about 1 in 10 times.

Putting mail on hold is simple and rarely requires ID. If you opt not to have the mail delivered to your address in bulk after the hold is up, you will need to show ID when you pick up your mail from your local post office. At least I've always had to.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I thought to stop mail on line (versus filling out the little yellow card), you had to provide a credit card that was billed at the same address. It charges $1 which is then refunded

I've never been asked for ID and I have my mail held for several weeks at a time a half dozen times a year when I travel

I recall that this is true. However I now use the USPS app which doesn't require this, probably because the app is registered to me?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I put in hold mail requests all the time and no, if you do it online, there’s no ID verification at all, including CC. Don’t have to be logged in to the website either. It’s been that way for years.

Someone email me your name and address and I’ll demonstrate. Big Grin

I just had delivery “suspended” last week unbeknownst to me. When I went to the post office to inquire as to the absence of mail, found out, and then asked who had suspended my delivery, I was told it was the carrier, who claimed that the mail had been left in my box for days and when it filled up, he took it back and left us a form indicating that our delivery service was being suspended. I called bullshit on both counts. No full box, no notice. Postmaster didn’t care.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
You don't have to provide ID to hold mail, even online. I do believe you do need an account. If the carrier knows you, you can just write down your start/end hold dates and give it to the carrier. The $1 charge is for a change of address.

This time of year, my best guess would be it is done by a member of the household. Maybe a Christmas gift is showing up, and they don't want someone to know about it. Side note: DO NOT send a gift intentionally to a neighbor, without telling your carrier. I've had that happen, and I deliver it to the correct address since I think the recipient may have put in the wrong address. Then I just ruined a surprise. I see bad addresses started by the recipient way too often. Change of address filled out with bad info, bank checks with the wrong address, packages being sent to an address that the recipient hasn't lived for several years, and even customer's misspelling their own name for a change of address.

Now on the negative side of this, and I'm hoping this is not the case. Most of the time mail being held without someone's knowledge is again by a member of the household, who doesn't wish others to find out. They don't want their spouse to know their shopping habits, maxing out credit cards, etc... I had a customer recently who put the mail on hold once a week for several months, I just assumed someone was maxing out credit cards. They were, but it was intentional, and they wanted to max out all of the credit cards before they told their spouse they wanted a divorce and moved out with their new soul mate. OUCH!!!

I don't know where the misconception of a carrier doesn't to deliver mail/packages comes from. A new carrier, maybe. But a carrier who knows the route makes ZERO sense at all. An excellent analogy is a mail truck is the exact opposite of a garbage truck, you want the truck to be empty when you get back to the office. I even try a second attempt in the day if a customer needs to sign for a package. Taking anything back just creates more work for a carrier, and more than likely they will have to attempt it the next day anyways. About the only time I bring mail back is a dog issue, or safety issue like a snow/ice/stairs. And if you suspect a carrier is just throwing away mail, contact the USPS Postal Inspectors. It is rare, but it does happen, and usually makes your local news. That carrier will be out of a job, and facing jail time. They don't play around with that.

99.9% of the carriers I have ever known are extremely honest and hard working. They aren't going to risk a career/jail time over a mystery box or envelope. When mailing envelopes and packages, when you think you've used enough tape, tape it again. Birthday/holiday cards are notorious for using cheap glue. And this time of the year, I always have a clerk mark anything open with a big red stamp saying it was open and maybe missing contents.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can assure you it's not a member of the household and it wasn't a hold, it was a "return all mail, nobody lives there." Not a "forward to somewhere else." I've heard stories of police discovering months of undelivered mail in carrier's garages, it's not a common thing, but it sometimes happens. Sit at home, watch Cops and Judge Judy, collect a paycheck, return the vehicle at the end of the day empty. Our neighbor on the other side of us is getting mail, so I don't think it's a carrier problem.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A prank? Do you have a "friend" with a warped sense of humor?

Did you aggravate somebody who might be looking for revenge?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Most of what I see from our mail carriers at home are drooling, lazy morons with very bad attitudes. If I had a problem, I have zero confidence that could or would solve it without a maximum amount of wasted effort and frustration on my part.

Posts: 8626 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Our community has a FB page, and that’s the big discussion at this time. Our husband/wife contracted mail delivery team walked off the job Tuesday morning. I rarely get mail so I’m good knowing it will be fixed eventually, but it does suck for the ones relying on reliable service.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of what I see from our mail carriers at home are drooling, lazy morons with very bad attitudes. If I had a problem, I have zero confidence that could or would solve it without a maximum amount of wasted effort and frustration on my part.

We need illicit and highly paid professionals!LOL

Posts: 17243 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post