SIGforum
My 1st gator kill

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4930078754

June 15, 2019, 04:51 AM
charlie12
My 1st gator kill
Well I killed my first gator. It was a rainy night in South Louisiana and I never saw him on that black asphalt. But when my left front hit him I knew it. Must be a SOB to hit a big one.

June 15, 2019, 06:31 AM
Sportshooter
You have a great opening line for your new book. “It was a dark and stormy night when I whacked Boudreaux the snack sized gator...”
The New York Times is waiting to put your book on their best seller list, but you have to write it first. Smile
June 15, 2019, 08:31 AM
V-Tail
Why did the gator cross the road?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
June 15, 2019, 08:35 AM
Jim Shugart
^ ^ ^ ^ It's too late to ask him now.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw
June 15, 2019, 08:42 AM
Gustofer
Well, you've got me beat. I killed a pack rat walking across my driveway yesterday. He was a big-assed rat, but not even close to your trophy.

June 15, 2019, 08:43 AM
charlie12
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Why did the gator cross the road?

Well we figured he was after frogs. It was a road close to Bayou Teche that ran through the sugar cane fields. There were a bunch of frogs in the road and we figured he was in the ditch and scared the frog onto the road and he went after them.

June 15, 2019, 08:43 AM
tatortodd
What a coincidence, I had fried gator for an appetizer last night.

Charlie, are you getting it made into boots, belt, and a holster?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
June 15, 2019, 08:59 AM
charlie12
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Nope I bet some Coonass picked it up about 10 min. after I hit it.

June 15, 2019, 11:56 AM
bendable
nutria's are 12 points

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
June 15, 2019, 01:44 PM
parallel
Here near the Bonnet Carré spillway there has been a huge uptick in gators getting hit especially on Airline Highway. A few weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle on River Road near Montz and as I came around a bend I saw what I initially thought was a LARGE lawn ornament by the side of the road. Then the lawn ornament made a swift move into my lane which got my full attention right quick. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds as it was a good ten yards ahead of me with plenty of time and room to evade.

The point though is that hitting one with a car, even a small gator, can be bad... I don't even want to think of what could happen hitting one on my motorcycle.

A penny saved is a government oversight.
June 15, 2019, 04:55 PM
Ironmike57
I see 2 or 3 fresh gator kills a week(Everglades). Mostly in the 3 ft range. I have never hit a live one though.
June 15, 2019, 05:22 PM
charlie12
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
Here near the Bonnet Carré spillway there has been a huge uptick in gators getting hit especially on Airline Highway. A few weeks ago I was riding my motorcycle on River Road near Montz and as I came around a bend I saw what I initially thought was a LARGE lawn ornament by the side of the road. Then the lawn ornament made a swift move into my lane which got my full attention right quick. It wasn't as dramatic as it sounds as it was a good ten yards ahead of me with plenty of time and room to evade.

The point though is that hitting one with a car, even a small gator, can be bad... I don't even want to think of what could happen hitting one on my motorcycle.

A couple weeks ago we were on I-10 on the part were it crosses Pontchartrain and there was a coon walking towards N.O. That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

June 19, 2019, 06:40 PM
parallel
quote:
Originally posted by charlie12:
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
***Snip***

A couple weeks ago we were on I-10 on the part were it crosses Pontchartrain and there was a coon walking towards N.O. That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

Not healthy indeed. Every time they open the spillway we get a mass exodus of varied wildlife coming through our neighborhood.

A penny saved is a government oversight.
June 19, 2019, 08:51 PM
redleg2/9
quote:
That's not healthy for a coon walking on that elevated part

Lord, please don't let a liberal read this. Roll Eyes

quote:

Quickest way to get the family jewels in a huge vice is to be caught with a dead gator, out of season, and no tag.

Besides, you would not have enough belly skin to made a decent pair of boots and a belt and a holster. Maybe a belt and a sexy pair of bikini underwear for you and the wifey. Big Grin

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/
June 20, 2019, 10:19 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

You could maybe make a sheath out of that gator.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 20, 2019, 03:40 PM
bigdeal
Just happen to run across this story today. Be glad 'your' gator was a bit smaller than this one.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...ar-AADasdP?ocid=iehp

"A gator weighing over 450 pounds had to pulled from a highway in Tallahassee after being struck by a semi-truck." Eek

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter