SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Budget Fixes for Poor Cell Coverage in a small office?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budget Fixes for Poor Cell Coverage in a small office? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
One of my offices has poor cell reception. I think it's just mostly the cement walls. Are there any viable options for some sort of cell repeater or booster?

Way out of my comfort zone on this one. Owner is dollar sensitive. So if it's more of a budget fix. Even better.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Switch to WiFi while in the office (assuming you have a good WiFi signal).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
These run $400-$500 and work fairly well, most carriers also have BDAs you can buy.

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Yep. Most modern cell phones have an option to turn on Wi-Fi calling. Just enable that, and save the Wi-Fi network for the office so your phone automatically connects when it's in range. Calls will then utilize Wi-Fi, instead of the cellular signal.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
These run $400-$500 and work fairly well, most carriers also have BDAs you can buy.

https://www.wilsonsignalbooster.com/

The boosters work well, with one caveat. I've used one for years here at home with excellent results.

They use an outside antenna to pick up the cell signal, then carry it to an inside amplifier and antenna via coax. The caveat is that the outside antenna must be able to pick up a good cell signal. The best antenna to use is a yaga directional antenna. If you can see the cell tower when outside, line of sight, then you can boost it very well. If you have poor coverage even outside, the booster will not do you any good. It has to have a decent signal to boost.

I have good line of sight to my tower. I tried the omnidirectional antenna at first, and it was a flop. The yagi pointed right at the tower gets great results. But, as dewhorse mentioned, they are not exactly "budget" solutions. I wouldn't even bother with anything less than the $500+ units, as your results will likely be disappointing.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Yep. Most modern cell phones have an option to turn on Wi-Fi calling. Just enable that, and save the Wi-Fi network for the office so your phone automatically connects when it's in range. Calls will then utilize Wi-Fi, instead of the cellular signal.

Do the carriers give you a discount when you can't/don't use the service you're paying for and instead use another service that you are paying for? If not, fuck that idea. I'm really surprised ISPs haven't found a way to bone wifi calling - it's using their infrastructure while cell provider is getting paid.

If you all have the same provider and/or are on a business account - call the cell provider, they'll probably give you a solution.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the wilson listed above. I now use their Pro 70.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
Do the carriers give you a discount when you can't/don't use the service you're paying for and instead use another service that you are paying for? If not, fuck that idea. I'm really surprised ISPs haven't found a way to bone wifi calling - it's using their infrastructure while cell provider is getting paid.

... It's no different than choosing to connect to a Wifi network instead of using cellular data when you're using your phone to check email, stream video, or surf the web.

Do you demand a partial refund from your phone company for those times you use Wifi to post to Sigforum instead of the cellular data plan that you're also paying for?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your carrier is AT&T you could use a Microcell

I use it in our main office for those with AT&T as the Verizon signal is good, for other locations we use a cell booster like a wilson

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
While WiFi will provide coverage for cell calls at no additional cost to you or the company, you will have to allow all workers to attach to the company network via wifi.

You can do this provided your IT wants to allow people to get on your WiFi network using phones, Ipads, streaming music, streaming video and tie up the company network with data requests for whatever internet browsing, facebook posting, instagram posts etc.

The advantage of the booster is nobody will be on your corporate wifi updating facebook etc.

If your employees have problems getting calls out then they have problems getting on the web as well with their phones. You let them on WiFi and you may open a can of worms.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
sprint gave me a micro cell like in the post above by tiwimon has.
it didn't cost me anything.
I just told them that I would cancel if I couldn't use the phone at home, they sent it out next day.

I think wifi calling resolves this now but if it doesn't, that would be your next best option

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
While WiFi will provide coverage for cell calls at no additional cost to you or the company, you will have to allow all workers to attach to the company network via wifi.

You can do this provided your IT wants to allow people to get on your WiFi network using phones, Ipads, streaming music, streaming video and tie up the company network with data requests for whatever internet browsing, facebook posting, instagram posts etc.

The advantage of the booster is nobody will be on your corporate wifi updating facebook etc.

If your employees have problems getting calls out then they have problems getting on the web as well with their phones. You let them on WiFi and you may open a can of worms.
This isn't that hard to resolve if abuse occurs. Even at my home I set up a separate WiFi network for guests to use. That network has limited bandwidth allocated to it. Plenty for calls and texts and maybe light web access, but not enough to slow down the rest of my network. You could also turn on network monitoring and track whoever is a data hog and 'encourage' better behavior, or block them from attaching to the network. One of my son's friends was blocked from my guest network because of some of the content he was accessing. Problem solved in a few keystrokes.

The speed and stability of WiFi is far better than cellular at my home.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
verizon sells this one.

https://www.verizonwireless.co...er-2/?sku=sku2490003

They will sometimes give you a discount if complain enough

They have two, the older one is obsolete the new one extends LTE, the old one was 3g

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
At&t discontinued their microcell and recommends wifi calling

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sprint provides them for free. I was able to order a booster online with Sprint. It shows as a piece of equipment on my bill at no charge.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BDA220
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem, and try to use Verizon WIFI calling. My iPhone7 won't always remain on the WIFI, sometimes reverting to cellular, with choppy communication. I have not found a way to force WIFI when in the shop. Airplane mode doesn't do it.
WIFI calling works somewhat for me, but far from perfect.

"Strange days have found us, strange days have tracked us down." JM

Posts: 807 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BDA220:
I have the same problem, and try to use Verizon WIFI calling. My iPhone7 won't always remain on the WIFI, sometimes reverting to cellular, with choppy communication. I have not found a way to force WIFI when in the shop. Airplane mode doesn't do it.
WIFI calling works somewhat for me, but far from perfect.
I'd suggest that either your WiFi network has an issue or your iPhone7 isn't functioning as it should if you're encountering the problem you mentioned. I have a 3 year old off brand Android phone that transitions seamlessly from cellular to WiFi and back again, whenever I come and go from my house/office.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have ATT cell service on my iPhone X, wife has Verizon on he iPhone SE... Both services suck and are basically unusable here at the house.

Wifi calling to the rescue!

It works flawlessly for both of us.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post