SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Aid kit, with a twist.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Aid kit, with a twist. Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking to put together a First Aid kit, for hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities.

I want something a little more than the bump, minor cut thing at the drugstore/Walmart.

The twist, I not only want it for me, but it must have things that are safe for dogs.

I would like to have something that has over the counter meds for pain, allergy, bug bite and the like. Cuts and scrapes and a little more serious.

Don't want it to be to big and heavy, but be able to take care of a couple of people and dogs.

I came to this because I was out on a short, light hike with my pup the other day, and she was off leash and just slightly behind me to me left, and I hear a yip. She come up to me and she has a very small cut that is bleeding a little. Nothing serious but, I have nothing with me to take care of it.

That's when I realized that I wanted something to take care of things, for both myself and my pup.

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Great idea! My first thought would be to ask your vet for recommendations. Some things, such as Benadryl, are fine for dogs, you just need to know the appropriate dosing for your pup. There are likely others that could be handy as well.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://www.chinookmed.com/ind...pattern&id%5Bq%5D=K9

K9 kits from mild to wild and they have options for individual med pouches as well.

A good TQ, a pressure dressing or two and some gauze, Ab pads, vet wrap and tape and you’re mostly set.

Some special items may be some dog booties or socks, styptic powder in case of a torn nail or pad. A good idea is be familiar with improvised muzzles or get a soft muzzle so you don’t get bit while treating a serious injury. Pain and fear can make the best dogs react badly.

Lastly, a plan and method to carry the pup out if need be.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
vet wrap

I have vet wrap in every kit, plus spare rolls in the truck. It is one of the most useful first aid items I have found, wound wrap, pressure wrap, splint, etc. 3M is the original vet wrap, but the product is available under many brands. Personally, I like Coflex, by the case. I always buy the 4" rolls, and when needed make them into 2" rolls on the band saw.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.chinookmed.com/ind...pattern&id%5Bq%5D=K9

K9 kits from mild to wild and they have options for individual med pouches as well.

Similarly, https://www.rescue-essentials.com/ is a high quality provider of medical kits of all flavors and sizes, including K9 kits.

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
vet wrap

I have vet wrap in every kit, plus spare rolls in the truck. It is one of the most useful first aid items I have found, wound wrap, pressure wrap, splint, etc. 3M is the original vet wrap, but the product is available under many brands. Personally, I like Coflex, by the case. I always buy the 4" rolls, and when needed make them into 2" rolls on the band saw.

Absolutely. Tons of uses. I'm always surprised that more folks don't know about vet wrap/cohesive wrap.

It's especially useful for hairy/fuzzy guys like me, for use in place of adhesive tape to hold gauze in place. Big Grin

quote:
styptic powder in case of a torn nail or pad

Or a styptic pen, or a styptic matches (which I what I use, both for razor cuts as well as dog nail trimming incidents).

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Get thee some Narcan.

Tweakers be in the woods these days.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Get thee some Narcan.

Tweakers be in the woods these days.

Tweakers use meth.

Narcan does nothing for meth.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post