SIGforum
Ski masks as a fashion accessory among black youth

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4920023094

March 13, 2022, 07:06 AM
KSGM
Ski masks as a fashion accessory among black youth
Since the beginning of this year, I have noticed a trend among black rednecks and those influenced by black redneck culture; folks are wearing ski masks rolled up, as hats. At a glance, you may think it's a beanie, but it is a ski mask. My best guess is some trending rap artist, or other influencer, does the same. Has anyone else noticed this trend? It is certainly a rather blatant nod to the glorification of criminality that is so prevalent in the culture.

After a brief wife-assisted internet research session, it appears to be a trend directly associated with the increase in popularity of a rap sub-genre referred to as "drill" music. Drill music seems to deal exclusively with themes of shooting folks.
March 13, 2022, 08:02 AM
gjgalligan
Or they may be thugs that want a mask at the ready.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
March 13, 2022, 09:30 AM
MikeinNC
Dumb Donald was a trendsetter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
March 13, 2022, 09:38 AM
spunk639
It’s culture, not any indication of an intent, like bell bottoms in the 70’s.
March 13, 2022, 09:59 AM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Dumb Donald was a trendsetter

All these years and I never knew what his name was... and I gotta ask, what was that thing on his head? I never understood that.
March 13, 2022, 10:38 AM
Pyker
They were a thing back in the 70s/80s
March 13, 2022, 10:50 AM
.38supersig
Hey!
Hey!
Hey!

March 13, 2022, 11:07 AM
Krazeehorse
That’s one reason it’s important for us to take our “drills” with us when we go out and about.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.
March 13, 2022, 11:16 AM
nosticks
Doesn't make sense. How the hell will they be able to get their obligatory sideways ball cap over the rolled up ski mask.

Awake not woke
March 13, 2022, 12:46 PM
corsair
Regardless of era, accessorizing is always a thing in street culture, doesn't matter the race or, ethnicity. When you have nothing, there's a mis-guided attempt to look like you have something which usually results in a tasteless, obnoxious, pathetic display of 'style'.

In the early 90's, when down insulation prices came down, more street and lifestyle brands came out with big puffy jackets and parkas. Wasn't unusual to see kids wearing their down jackets...in the middle of Summer. It was their one, 'high-priced', status possession. You see the same with young girls and their first pair of Ugg boots in the middle of July.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,
March 13, 2022, 01:49 PM
drill sgt
Fashion accessory to go along with the dropped pants showing their backside drawers while using one hand in the front to try and hold the pants up while they waddle like a duck because of the dropped pants. ............................ drill sgt.
March 13, 2022, 04:53 PM
MikeinNC
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

All these years and I never knew what his name was... and I gotta ask, what was that thing on his head? I never understood that.

I’ve always thought it was a ski mask.

And I’m always astounded by what minuscule bullshit my brain remembers from when I was a kid.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
March 13, 2022, 07:52 PM
.38supersig
I remember the episode where they got Donald to take the thing off of his face.

It turned out that when he finally did, he looked so bad they were begging him to put it back on.

March 14, 2022, 12:05 AM
Excam_Man
While attending the last few gun shows, they are not rolled up, but down covering their face!

March 14, 2022, 12:22 AM
snwghst
Im waiting for New Orleans to start enforcing the no mask laws again. covid made it a norm and now all the perps can hide easily without repercussion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever