SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ski masks as a fashion accessory among black youth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ski masks as a fashion accessory among black youth Login/Join 
posted
Since the beginning of this year, I have noticed a trend among black rednecks and those influenced by black redneck culture; folks are wearing ski masks rolled up, as hats. At a glance, you may think it's a beanie, but it is a ski mask. My best guess is some trending rap artist, or other influencer, does the same. Has anyone else noticed this trend? It is certainly a rather blatant nod to the glorification of criminality that is so prevalent in the culture.

After a brief wife-assisted internet research session, it appears to be a trend directly associated with the increase in popularity of a rap sub-genre referred to as "drill" music. Drill music seems to deal exclusively with themes of shooting folks.

Posts: 2171 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Or they may be thugs that want a mask at the ready.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4138 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Dumb Donald was a trendsetter

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
It’s culture, not any indication of an intent, like bell bottoms in the 70’s.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Dumb Donald was a trendsetter

All these years and I never knew what his name was... and I gotta ask, what was that thing on his head? I never understood that.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
They were a thing back in the 70s/80s

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Hey!
Hey!
Hey!

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
That’s one reason it’s important for us to take our “drills” with us when we go out and about.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't make sense. How the hell will they be able to get their obligatory sideways ball cap over the rolled up ski mask.

Awake not woke

Posts: 569 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of era, accessorizing is always a thing in street culture, doesn't matter the race or, ethnicity. When you have nothing, there's a mis-guided attempt to look like you have something which usually results in a tasteless, obnoxious, pathetic display of 'style'.

In the early 90's, when down insulation prices came down, more street and lifestyle brands came out with big puffy jackets and parkas. Wasn't unusual to see kids wearing their down jackets...in the middle of Summer. It was their one, 'high-priced', status possession. You see the same with young girls and their first pair of Ugg boots in the middle of July.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Fashion accessory to go along with the dropped pants showing their backside drawers while using one hand in the front to try and hold the pants up while they waddle like a duck because of the dropped pants. ............................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2016 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

All these years and I never knew what his name was... and I gotta ask, what was that thing on his head? I never understood that.

I’ve always thought it was a ski mask.

And I’m always astounded by what minuscule bullshit my brain remembers from when I was a kid.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11295 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I remember the episode where they got Donald to take the thing off of his face.

It turned out that when he finally did, he looked so bad they were begging him to put it back on.

Posts: 9164 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While attending the last few gun shows, they are not rolled up, but down covering their face!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im waiting for New Orleans to start enforcing the no mask laws again. covid made it a norm and now all the perps can hide easily without repercussion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post