Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annie Oakley Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
I heard a lot about Annie Oakley when I was younger but never really knew much about here other than she had amazing shooting prowess. I found this video about her on YT and it was well worth a watch for me and very interesting. She started out supporting her family at early age trapping and hunting, with her Father's cap and ball rifle, to the point she paid off the mortgage on their property. She was also a victim of fake news in 1903 that devastated her and she spend 6 years of her life to set the record straight. Cool story on how she met her husband too. Annie also trained thousands of women to shoot rifles and shotguns. So much more in the video if anyone else is interested. Video is 53 minutes long.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent suggestion grumpy1. I really enjoyed it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 95 | Location: Southeast Michigan -- Downriver | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Started watching. Couldn't stop till it was done.

thanks grumpy!

Posts: 19589 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You!! That was educating and very interesting! When I started watching, I really thought it would be for a short bit. Nope, kept me interested throughout.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Cool, glad you guys liked it. I could not stop watching it either once it got to the story on how Annie and Frank Butler met LOL. I am 67 now and remember reading and seeing about her on TV in my pre teen years and I am pretty sure there were Annie Oakley model BB guns. I did not realize how big an attraction sharp shooter contests and exhibitions were at that time in our history. I learned a lot of about the Wild Bill Cody show too and the videos of that were so cool. Always good to take a short trip back in time to a very interesting time. As one of the commentators said "if Annie Oakley was just another sharp shooter, none of us would have heard of her".

Part of this was shown in the video but I thought I would post it here also. A very early Thomas Edison film of Annie Oakley shooting at the request of Thomas Edison at his site shorty after he invented his film projector device.

Now I want to buy a lever action .22LR. Smile

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that was a great watch! I pulled it up on the YouTube app on our TV; before I knew it, the wife and kids were as riveted to it as I was! Thanks for the post!

Posts: 1703 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Good documentary. Thanks

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post